The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 leatherette, durable?

edwardkaraa

I am just wondering about this, not really concerned about it, but out of scientifical curiosity :D

My used M6 vulcanite covering was 26 years old when I bought it, and it was in excellent condition. How would you rate the durability of the M9 covering, especially the non vulcanite one like on the steel grey paint. How many years does it last and did anyone have to change it?

StephenPatterson

The vulcanite on my 50+ year old M2 is still going strong, but I am careful to keep it in a humidity control cabinet when not shooting, as you know what conditions are like here. Vulcanite is a great finish, but humidity (too much or too little) can definitely destroy it.

As for the leatherette covering I found both my M8 and M9s to be excellent and have not noticed any significant wear.

edwardkaraa

Thank you Stephen. I read quite often about people changing the leatherette on the digital M, but probably because they like some other material better, like shark, stingray, python (not sure about tiger though :D), not because the leatherette has worn off.

stephengilbert

I think people change the covering not because of wear, but because they prefer Vulcanite or leather. That's what I did on my M8.

StephenPatterson

I only know of one place that is capable of replacing actual vulcanite on older Leica M cameras, as the camera must be completely disassembled and the material baked on to the metal case. I believe the shop is in Luton, BEDS.

Obviously it's much easier to replace a leatherette or "vulcanite"-like covering using the present day peel and stick method.

250swb

Did the M6 ever have a vulcanite covering? I don't think so.

But the plastic covering is harder wearing in the long term and I can't see why the M9's covering would wear any more than an M6 covering.

Steve

edwardkaraa

Well the M6 may be vulcanite-like if it's not real vulcanite. It is however tough as nails. The one on my steel grey M9 is definitely softer and more sticky imo. Better grip but less durability.

Double Negative

Not Available
I don't think any of them will be wearing out any time soon.

The only thing of note is on the M7s. The leatherette seems to peel away from the edges on a lot that I've seen (though thankfully not mine). I don't know if it's endemic.

Thankfully there's cameraleather.com, aki-asahi and others for replacements. Which all offer much higher quality (e.g. real leather or Griptac) stuff. Be careful ordering from cameraleather.com though...

edwardkaraa

There's also the leatherette on the Zeiss Ikon and Bessa. The one on the Ikon is very fragile. It wears out in a matter of a few months with heavy use and no half case.

I would presume the one on the Bessa isn't better since they're both made by Cosina.

What's the problem with cameraleather?

250swb

Well the M6 may be vulcanite-like if it's not real vulcanite. It is however tough as nails. The one on my steel grey M9 is definitely softer and more sticky imo. Better grip but less durability.
You are unlucky that your covering is wearing on your grey M9, perhaps have Leica look at it. It is the same covering that came on the early MP and those have been going strong without any wear showing for ten years now. There is one thing certain though, that it will be more durable than real leather.

Steve

edwardkaraa

Luckily I'm not that unlucky :D The covering is still looking as new and I have no real concern about it. I was just wondering why I always hear about guys changing the leatherette of the M9 to something like the griptac mentioned above. As I said its just scientific curiosity :)

250swb

I was just wondering why I always hear about guys changing the leatherette of the M9 to something like the griptac mentioned above. As I said its just scientific curiosity :)
It is called accessorising. Find something that Leica didn't design especially for you, then find a way to spend money putting it right. Women do it with handbags and the things that go with them. Leica men do it with camera straps and finding the perfect camera bag, or in this case falling into a swoon when they see another pattern of covering for their M9, although I can't imagine anybody swooning over Griptac.

Steve

douglasf13

It is called accessorising. Find something that Leica didn't design especially for you, then find a way to spend money putting it right. Women do it with handbags and the things that go with them. Leica men do it with camera straps and finding the perfect camera bag, or in this case falling into a swoon when they see another pattern of covering for their M9, although I can't imagine anybody swooning over Griptac.

Steve
Nothing wrong with that. I'd say that both men and women tend to do this with all kinds of things: cars, houses, watches, clothes, guitars...you name it. Heck, I even spent $20 on a black dot for my black M9, although I think I'll stick with the original vulcanite. :)