The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast - wide open

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Who needs a Noctilux?..:D Well I do;) - but for the time being I make do with the Nokton 1.2/35, at 10% of the price.....

FRIENDS

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jaap,
I would be pretty pleased to save the 90%.
Good shot too!
-bob

Stuart Richardson

Great shot Jaap! I actually think the fast 35mm lenses are much more useful in real world photography than the noctilux is -- the wider field of view and greater depth of field mean less apparent camera shake and more forgiving focus. For true low light work, it is hard to beat a 35mm f/1.4 (or f/1.2!).
These are all shots taken with the 35mm summilux ASPH at f/1.4 -- not 1.8 or 2, but a true 1.4. It is one of the reasons I love the lens so much, it is really versatile -- and very sharp wide open. All these are film, by the way.

quadtones

Jaap--

Wonderful shot. I had one of these lenses, sold it because is was so heavy [compared to the v4 Summicron], but recently have found myself missing it [or should I say, the 1 1/2 stops]. Your shot [and some others you've posted elsewhere] really show off what a terrific lens this is, and now I find myself at the point of buying back a lens I had, and sold. Not a totally new problem, but how may 35mm lenses does one person need? [Let's see, the Summicron, the 35mm Canon, the 35mm Elmar....]

--Norm

Peter Klein

I have really grown to love the 35/1.2. It doesn't have as strong a personality as the Noctilux. But it has a rendition in between that of a modern aspheric lens (which it is) and a classic lens. It's quite sharp wide open, but the bokeh isn't jagged or wiry, it's nice and smooth like an old Summicron. You get the best of both worlds.

The drawbacks are the weight (about a pound), and that it does some color fringing in extreme backlight (leaves backlit by sun or bright clouds).

It did very nicely in this impromptu backlit portrait of this delightful nonogenerian. M8, 1/90th, f/1.2.

--Peter

Last edited: