The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just got my Zeiss 85mm Sonnar ZM

VINCET

Just got my Zeiss 85mm Sonnar ZM lens and first impression was, what a big box. As for the lens, it is actually a lot lighter than I anticipated. I am currently without an M body so I attached it to my old Lumix G1 and tried a few shots and was amazed at how smooth the focusing is. Below are few quick snap using this lens. All the shots were taken at f2.0.

VINCET

I am really liking this lens. I had at one point a 75mm Lux but I remember it being very heavy and focusing is also not as quick. This one seems to be a lot smoother and definitely lighter. The IQ reminded me a little of the 50mm C Sonnar.

CronoZero

I also like this lens! I thought the image quality was very high, but noticed some build issues with the lens and had Zeiss check it out. They told me that the image quality was not up to their standards, and fixed everything. I also have the 75mm Summilux (which I got for a good price), but I think they're surprisingly different, despite the closeness of the focal lengths. The shorter minimum focus distance makes the 75 more versatile, IMO, but I really like both.

edwardkaraa

Beautiful results, Vincent. Congratulations! I wanted to get this lens, since I got into rangefinders. My only criticism about it is that it draws more like a Leica than like a Zeiss :)

MCTuomey

I keep saying it over and over for giggles, on this beat, Edward: bop, bop-be-bop, mm-bop, be-bop

" ... more Leica Leica than Leica Zeiss."

VINCET

The only complaint so far is the lens hood. Due to the tapered barrel, and the hood being straight, I can not mount the hood in reverse when storing the lens. I guess they are trying not to block the viewfinder.

edwardkaraa

The only complaint so far is the lens hood. Due to the tapered barrel, and the hood being straight, I can not mount the hood in reverse when storing the lens. I guess they are trying not to block the viewfinder.
If it makes you feel any better, the hood can't be reversed on any ZM at least the ones that i have.