The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here using the Leica ME

monza

Yes. I'm not color centric or bling affected so the savings on the M-E was too much to resist. I haven't used an M for the past 3 years since selling my M8 so I have to get used to RF shooting again. Here is my new "gray ghost".
Lookin' good, Carl!

UPS also delivered it before I got you the tracking number, which was awfully nice of them. :)

bensonga

Hey Carl.....the "gray ghost"......I like that!

Makes me think I should start looking for a Anthracite Grey (Gray?) R9.

I already have a black R8 and R6.2.

Would I buy an M series, of any color? Not likely.

Gary

Chris C

....I still prefer black, but I can't understand dissing the M-E on its finish color.
Me neither, though I too have other preferences. The design bonus of the M-E is no wretched paint filled corporate-engraving graffiti on the front or top. That blast of red dot is an irritating distraction to the camera's looks, as is the traditional silver lens release button; but hey --- covering those with a coloured, or black dot of one's choice is a simple corrective measure.

............ Chris

D&A

It's interesting. When I saw one in person just recently, color wise it neither looked quite like those pictured by Leica nor like the one pictured above. Of course it may simply be due to lighting, but the gray top had sort of a semi-flat appearance with a slight color cast to the gray (something other than gray). Hard to describe, but instead of the gray top being a lighter shade of the semi flat black color of the pebbled leatherette, it appeared to have another color in the mix. Since this was seen at the Leica store, I wonder if it could have been one of the early paint jobs? The Gray M9 has a shinier paint (or overcoat) and is lighter. Generally anytime Leica introduces a new color for a M body and its different, the initial reaction is generally favorable being that its something different. Whether any of them esthetically stand the test of time, we'll have to wait and see.

Dave (D&A)

borge

I think it looks beatiful. I like the matte finish much better than the shiny paint finishes.
The only reason I would consider buying a M9-P (if it was the same price mind you) instead of an M-E would be to get rid of the read dot.

scho

I think it looks beatiful. I like the matte finish much better than the shiny paint finishes.
The only reason I would consider buying a M9-P (if it was the same price mind you) instead of an M-E would be to get rid of the read dot.
I tried to have a black replacement dot installed on my M8 when it was upgraded a few years ago and they told me (Leica, NJ) that they were not allowed to do that, although they did have the black dots in their inventory. I have some dark grey duct tape that might match the M-E paint quite well. :D

Maggie O

Yes. I'm not color centric or bling affected so the savings on the M-E was too much to resist. I haven't used an M for the past 3 years since selling my M8 so I have to get used to RF shooting again. Here is my new "gray ghost".

That looks way better than the official press photos.

That said, I bought a chrome M9-P, myself.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
How did you remove the red dot and install the black one? Glue?
Removing the red dot is relatively easy with some back & forth motion under your thumb. As regards the replacement black dot, it comes with an adhesive back so you just line it up and put it on to the recessed dot location (it's actually a portal in to the body for RF adjustment).

douglasf13

How did you remove the red dot and install the black one? Glue?
My red dot was actually kind of a pain to get off. I tried all of the techniques that I'd read about in various forums, but I eventually used the round side of a paper clip and pushed the edge of the Leica script to twist it off, which did mar up the red dot a little bit. I've read that others have had an easier time of it, so I guess it depends on how stuck on that sucker is.

The black dot just had an adhesive backing, so that part was easy.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've read that others have had an easier time of it, so I guess it depends on how stuck on that sucker is.
I did it with two of my cameras. I think that it pays to push down for a while to let the heat of your thumb warm the dot and also the side to side rotation (assuming you've got traction on the lettering) will gradually stretch or loosen the gummy adhesive. The more you rotate, the looser the adhesive becomes until it twists free.

I'm sure that this is tougher on older cameras than relatively new ones. I suspect also that after a couple of removals you get somewhat more adept at it too.

douglasf13

I did it with two of my cameras. I think that it pays to push down for a while to let the heat of your thumb warm the dot and also the side to side rotation (assuming you've got traction on the lettering) will gradually stretch or loosen the gummy adhesive. The more you rotate, the looser the adhesive becomes until it twists free.

I'm sure that this is tougher on older cameras than relatively new ones. I suspect also that after a couple of removals you get somewhat more adept at it too.
Man, my dot must have had an extra helping of adhesive. I tried all the tricks. I even pressed my thumb against the dot for 20 minutes, trying to warm up the adhesive, and I still could barely get the thing to turn without using the paper clip. FWIW, my M9 was built in 2011, so it isn't very old.

monza

Just tear up the red dot, you can get replacements for a couple of bucks from Leica if need be. :)

monza

They don't sell black ones, but the last time I got red ones they were $1.60. Have a few laying around if anyone wants one. :)

douglasf13

Yeah, that's why I ended up just tearing my red one up a little bit. Twenty bucks was steep for a black dot from DAG, but I figured, at this point, what the heck!