The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who uses what? Half cases and handgrips

Half case or handgrip?

• Total voters

edwardkaraa

Just wondering what you guys are using.

I have both, a nice Ciesta leather half case and Leica handgrip. I like the M9 with the handgrip better, but I have better grip with the half case, which is kind of funny.

So I use both, depending on the day :)

Hosermage

Originally bought a Zhou's half case, but always found the grip not big enough. So I bought a handgrip and loved it. Often when I'm walking around, I let the camera just hang off my finger tips from the grip (with wrist strap on, of course), letting air flow to dry my sweaty hands :p

vickko

Zhou half case for me. I used them since the M8 and they give a firmer grip to the camera and muffle some of the noise.

edwardkaraa

I have sweaty hands too, especially in the hot weather of Bangkok. That's why I find the handgrip a bit slippery. The soft leather of the case provides with a better grip, but can become a bit too humid after a while.

I

iqbal624

I tried the handgrip but just didn't care for it. Sold it for a half leather case. Also have a thumbs up. Works well.. I'd probably roll naked but i'm too worried about dings...

oh wells. I guess it's just how it is.

V

Vivek

I might consider one of the add-ons when I get my MM. What is the most luxurious case out there (cost no bar, naturally)? Luigi? :)

Do Leica make one?

SYGTAFOTO

Naked all the way.. tried thumbs-up, half case, thumbie... I found that I just prefer the feeling I get when I touch a naked camera.. :)

edwardkaraa

As I was expecting, the poll is mostly divided between half case or naked.

While the handgrip is a beautiful design, and it looks great on the M8/9, I don't find it to improve grip significantly. Perhas the french description as "poignee" (or handle) is most appropriate.

JeffWarren

RSS L-Plate W/Handgrip and Thumbie by steve barnett
RSS although greatly increases overall size it also acts as..well body armor. & I find the thumbie to be less obtrusive than the thumbs up. (also no way of damaging the hot shoe w/thumbie)

-Jeff

Godfrey

When I acquired my M9, I tried one of Steve Barnett's Thumbies with it. While it worked fine, I found I still wanted something to give me a better grip on the body as it seems somewhat slick—especially when my hands and the camera are cold.

A leather half case worked so well that I immediately ordered one for the X2 when I bought that, and also for the M4-2 and CL. I've considered getting one for the GXR, but every time I pick it up I find I like it just the way it is, naked, due to the excellent grippy covering.

arild

I voted "naked", but use a thumbs up. Just got my Classic Cases strap for it, and I can see getting a matching half case some time in the future just for the comfort of it. The M9 will never be sold as a mint or near mint example anyway, so the cosmetics isn't something I'm worried about.

douglasf13

I have Zhou half case and a Thumbs Up grip that came with my used M9, but I haven't been using either. The snap on the viewfinder side of the Zhou rubs the side of my nose, and the Thumbs Up just forces me into the bad habit of stabilizing the camera with my right hand, rather than my left.

So naked for me, at least right now.

edwardkaraa

One side question: I read in an old post on another forum that the half case users will have less problems with the rangefinder going out of whack as it dampens the small shocks that may cause the rangefinder to go out of calibration on the long term.

Do you find that to be true? Maybe I should start a new poll. :D

ashwinrao1

I use a Luigi Case with Built in grip, added to a thumbs up CSEP-1s grip, Beep shutter release, and M-Mate 3 baseplate, with Luigi cut outs to access those baseplate doors....plus a Gordy's strap...