The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Putting Faces to Names - (i.e. the Selfie thread)

jonoslack

I am hoping Jono posts--I really can't believe he is the front man for the Spiders from Mars...
Hi There
Well . . . I guess this is what you mean:

As far as recognition goes, David Farkas recognised me in Berlin based on this photo - do you need to know more?

Shashin

Hi There
Well . . . I guess this is what you mean:

As far as recognition goes, David Farkas recognised me in Berlin based on this photo - do you need to know more?
Thanks. Each time I see your avatar, I just have this image of Ziggy Stardust. But now I see the image larger, it is actually deferent that what I was seeing--I thought you were leaning against a half wall or something. Thank you.

jonoslack

Thanks. Each time I see your avatar, I just have this image of Ziggy Stardust. But now I see the image larger, it is actually deferent that what I was seeing--I thought you were leaning against a half wall or something. Thank you.
:) just pontificating as always! It was taken by a flat mate (Guy Buncombe) in about 1972. I was amazed that David recognised me from it 40years later, maybe I still needed a haircut, and certainly I was still pontificating. I can easily provide a more up to date image, but generally speaking young people are more attractive, and who really cares what I look like :)

I know many people when planning and conceiving a selfie wish to make the image an extend a dialog of the attributes of our souls that would otherwise be precluded by our own foibles and body language, perhaps due to being guided by many years of fitting to a society that we were part of only by happenchance. Selfies break through the psychological, to look deeper than belies, an often, somewhat gayer and more casual exterior that doth behest a more fun life of vitality and variety, to a place that even the most expert photographer cannot go. The soul and body stripped bare for the viewer to contemplate, consider and hopefully see the naked truthfulness.

Frankly speaking though, I've never been one to get my clothes off in front of a camera and still struggle to get the damned thing in focus in a mirror. My selfies tend to have the same expression I use when trying to figure out the logic behind blending modes in Photoshop.

ashwinrao1

:) just pontificating as always! It was taken by a flat mate (Guy Buncombe) in about 1972. I was amazed that David recognised me from it 40years later, maybe I still needed a haircut, and certainly I was still pontificating. I can easily provide a more up to date image, but generally speaking young people are more attractive, and who really cares what I look like :)
1972, and still as handsome as ever, Jono! I am impressed that David picked you out, but I can definitely see it... :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have no idea what I look like in real life, but I guess this must be rather close. Surrounded by stuff... yeah, must be me :)
Taken by a friend with a G12 while I was taking photos for him.

Frits

A self portrait (mirror) from back in my old Nikon days.
It has been my avatar ever since... :p

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
100 million BC, when Pentax 67 roamed the earth. I was fresh out of graduate school in love with MF negatives.

This one is from 1999 when we were on our honeymoon in Tuscany. One day we had a lesson at a cooking school. Yashica T4. Damn, that was a good compact film camera.

And this was last year - posing with the microphone stand I used for focusing. :rolleyes:

I'm posting that picture so that when any of you meet me you can comment on my recent weight loss. Please remain silent on the hair. :ROTFL:

Best,

Matt

rayyan

Ashwin is right. I hardly have photographs of me. Since my wife and I have spent so much time in the mountains; here is one taken by her.

Chamonix. Mt. Blanc is towards you right.

My idea of a relaxing holiday.:D

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
It's too damn early morning, but at $300 a day time is wasting, the poor guy just got his first cup of coffee, his wife is playing with his new $zillion camera, and you expect a smile on Rayyan's face to boot? :ROTFL: :wtf:

rayyan

It's too damn early morning, but at $300 a day time is wasting, the poor guy just got his first cup of coffee, his wife is playing with his new $zillion camera, and you expect a smile on Rayyan's face to boot? :ROTFL: :wtf:
Chuck, the only part that is true is that it was early morning, and yes my second cup of coffee ( the first one I had in bed..that's what a good wife is supposed to do..flame on:eek: ).

She treats my cameras with disdain bordering on extreme contempt. Except her D-Lux4!! A waste of money, she says.

Best regards.