The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don't drop your M8

fotografz

Here's hoping that Leica gets their service issues under control soon.

I'll refrain from ranting about it, suffice it to say that it is deplorable and needs to be attended to swiftly ... as I know it is putting a number of people off the brand and affecting their sales.

carstenw

Yes, I fully agree. At the moment I am reluctant to send in my camera, although I really need to, due to maze-artifacts around bright lights, as well as a sticky scroll wheel. The green streak from off-frame lights is also stronger than it should be, although I don't know if they have a proper fix for that yet. My buttons also still occasionally play games, although 1.110 was a big improvement.

So I don't want to send it. I have a camera leather kit on my desk which I am dying to try out, but that is waiting too. Sigh.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wow,
Yesterday I received my repaired M8.
Total turn around time was January 4 to January 29.
I fully credit Linda of Leslie Sales in the improvement of turn-around times.
My total LOMOZED M8 was returned to me all bright and shiny, and as far as I can tell fully functional, in 3.5 weeks. :thumbs:
I think that it was a good deal, compared to today's upgrade announcement, For less than half the upgrade price I had the shutter replaced and the rangefinder aligned.
Thank YOU Linda
See you in Moab.
-bob

Last edited:

Terry

Wow,
Yesterday I received my repaired M8.
Total turn around time was January 4 to January 29.
I fully credit Linda of Leslie Sales in the improvement of turn-around times.
My total LOMOZED M8 was returned to me all bright and shiny, and as far as I can tell fully functional, in 3.5 weeks. :thumbs:
I think that it was a good deal, compared to today's upgrade announcement, For less than half the upgrade price I had the shutter replaced and the rangefinder aligned.
Thank YOU Linda
See you in Moab.
-bob
Linda was great with my lens coding as well so double kudos.:clap:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Now if only the camera remembered the date and time...
Hmmm, back to NJ after MOAB.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tried both including new firmware.
Always starts up at just before midnight in 1969 on Dec 31.
That was not a particularly good time for me and I don't need to be reminded.
Nope, looks like the standby battery is not connected or wherever it is stored is shot.
When I move the menu to change the time, it is displayed as "error" It looks like a bad value outside of what is a valid date and time is contained at the storage location.
The rest of the camera settings seem to persist.
-bob

carstenw

Hmm, I wonder if this is a variant of the battery reset problem. Try turning off the screen-auto-off and letting it sit on with an image displayed overnight. The inside battery as well as the regular one would get fully recharged, which should reset their status.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sure acts as though its internal battery is just not hooked up.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nope,Same issue after charge reset recharge discharge or whatever.
This poor camera goes back to NJ when I get home from Moab.
I just hope it comes back in time to go with me to China in April.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
After the camera had been in daily use for a week, its clock began functioning again.
spooky
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that maybe it took that long for the internal battery to recharge - ???

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That seems excessive
There should be a spec on that, besides it ought to survive on-off cycles when the main battery is installed even when the keep-alive battery is charging.
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
The DMR would behave that way when it was brand new. It took a few charge cycles before the internal battery would work.

woodyspedden

I also applaud Linda and Jim for getting my rangefinder fix through Leica N.J in only a month.

My problem continues however in that not all M8 owners are "connected" to such resources and they still get IMHO deplorable service from Leica N.J. I don't know if Robert Fisk left because he was so frustrated with the support he got from management to build a quality service function or whether he was a significant part of the problem. Having dealt with him 1 on 1 a number of times I believe it was the management support that bogged down and he just couldn't take the heat of being at the end of the spear with regard to all of the negative comments about his organization. Sorry if that was the case and a good guy went down with the ship. (The admirals and generals of course stay safely in their home areas to witness the destruction but not to be on the firing line themselves.)

I love my M8's and lenses and love even more my R glass and look so forward to the R10 or whatever. But I would never be comfortable depending on Leica service to keep me, as a pro, in business. So the Nikon D3 is my workhorse of choice and the M8 is relegated to my personal shooting where income is not tied to the organization performance of the Leica corporation.

They can still get it right and I hope they will. I would be glad to help as I have the requisite experience in the semiconductory industry to show how successful service orgazations are built.

Probably will be seen as just a rant but trust me, that is the furthest thing from my mind

Woody Spedden

fotografz

I also applaud Linda and Jim for getting my rangefinder fix through Leica N.J in only a month.

My problem continues however in that not all M8 owners are "connected" to such resources and they still get IMHO deplorable service from Leica N.J. ...
... They can still get it right and I hope they will. I would be glad to help as I have the requisite experience in the semiconductory industry to show how successful service organizations are built ... Probably will be seen as just a rant but trust me, that is the furthest thing from my mind

Woody Spedden
Not a really a rant Woody, more a sobering and informed point-of-view.

I am supervising a TV production and CGI edit in LA ... which I document with a M camera ... without half of the M8 gear I spent a small fortune on. It has been in service since December 3rd, 2007. My first wedding shoot is on March 1st, and I have no idea what-so-ever if I will even have it back by then. Depressing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well it worked for a week and failed for a week, so it is in a box for a trip back to New Jersey.
Flakiness can be real hard to fix, but I hope that the second time is the charm.
-bob