The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Three 35 mm f/1.4 Summilux Asph lenses (AA, FLE, Asph)...

IWC Doppel

argh, shush!

i am still beating myself up for not holding out until an AA came up when they were still, cough, affordable... and now i know that i will never get one because the collectors have put them out of my reach :(

the pre-asph Lux, though, used to be my favourite lenses but i started neglecting it when i became obsessed with getting the .7m close-focusing... i'm really looking forward to playing with it again, though, as i have many of the same feelings about it you have about the AA.
The AA bokeh, reminds me of the 50 pre-asph lux with a little more movement. If it helps I have a 35 f2.8 Summaron which is lovely too and I also use a MkIV cron that is superb at f4.0 where for me that lens has some magic.

Keep looking and you might find a bargain. What really does it for me is the ability to paint in almost 3D, a bit like the mkIV at f4.0 but more so and with greater clarity and add some early mandler style bokeh. Your right its a darn shame they are collectable

IWC Doppel

PS I still want to own and try an 8 element 35 Summicron and a 50 Noctilux f1.0

Very interested in views of the E58 vs E60

cam

The AA bokeh, reminds me of the 50 pre-asph lux with a little more movement. If it helps I have a 35 f2.8 Summaron which is lovely too and I also use a MkIV cron that is superb at f4.0 where for me that lens has some magic.

Keep looking and you might find a bargain. What really does it for me is the ability to paint in almost 3D, a bit like the mkIV at f4.0 but more so and with greater clarity and add some early mandler style bokeh. Your right its a darn shame they are collectable
i'm ashamed to admit i have to go out and shoot my 35 pre-asph again before i comment on the bokeh in comparison (i mostly shot it on my Epson R-D1 so i need to look at on FF)... i do remember it being more pleasant than the Asph, though...

when you say the AA bokeh reminds you of the 50 pre-asph Lux, are you talking about the E43 or E46?

i will keep on looking, btw, but i'm not holding my breath... a lot of people know i'm looking for a "user" lens, but the prices people have been asking for even those is absurd... if you see one for a reasonable price, please holler!

PS I still want to own and try an 8 element 35 Summicron and a 50 Noctilux f1.0

Very interested in views of the E58 vs E60
the 8 element Cron is exquisite! it has the magic 3D look you speak of and capable of beautiful but not distracting bokeh (depending on f-stop). it is a low contrast lens and produces beautiful pastels and/or lush b/w and is capable of picking up minute details and changes in tones... truly a stupendous lens that has finally met its digital soulmate in the Monochrom.

as for the Noctilux, i am all for E58, especially if you can find a very early serial number (where there are rumours of different glass used). the collectors Nocti is the f/1.2 and it had the double glass (like your AA) and a very painterly effect. the early f/1 Noctis retained much of this character, imo, without the obscene price tag of the former. open, it may be a bit softer than the E60 but it doesn't really bother me. if i'm shooting f/1, it usually means that my eyes could be the issue as much as the lens -- i.e., no light to focus in :ROTFL: and the bokeh can be a bit unpredictable, but it always thrills me.

it is the one of the two lenses i own that has thrilled me on *any* camera i have used it on!

IWC Doppel

I have an E43 pre asph summilux and quite interested in a E46 to get the closer focus, I have read a little about the differences, but would be interested to know more.

I missed (Well the guy pulled out) a nice E58 noctilux recently, I'll keep looking.

A piccy that shows the bokeh at it's wildest f1.4. I just love the bokeh of this lens and I also love the vignetting which I leave well alone. Very little post processing on this shot.

cam

I have an E43 pre asph summilux and quite interested in a E46 to get the closer focus, I have read a little about the differences, but would be interested to know more.

I missed (Well the guy pulled out) a nice E58 noctilux recently, I'll keep looking.
the E43 i have is a very early Chrome version with scalloped focusing so it's kind of another 'tweener glass. it has low contrast but still very sharp and seems to have that lovely Leica glow (it was my very first Leica lens and i chose it after trying a bunch)... the E46 i have does not have quite the same character. i love the close-focusing, but i miss the etherial quality of the E43. in hindsight, i think i may have been happier with the 50 Lux Asph so i could have one "perfect" lens.

(mind you, with my style of photography, i can make *any* lens look less than perfect :ROTFL:)

i do have a personal fondness for my E58, but the f/1 in all its forms is pretty incredible. i've always been amazed at how it finds light and shadows when there seems to be none -- so maybe the E60 might even be slightly better in this regard? i didn't set out to buy an E58, but... a good deal is a good deal (if you find one) and i think you'll love f/1!

cam

IWC Doppel (and anyone else interested, Kristian Dowling has a samples from a bunch of fast (expensive) lenses on Steve Huff's site.

there are factual errors and i don't necessarily agree with his conclusions (nor did he shoot any night shots), but it may be of interest to you.

IWC Doppel

IWC Doppel (and anyone else interested, Kristian Dowling has a samples from a bunch of fast (expensive) lenses on Steve Huff's site.

there are factual errors and i don't necessarily agree with his conclusions (nor did he shoot any night shots), but it may be of interest to you.
Thanks, interesting. Shame they are all so expensive. I didnt think the F1 was 4th in terms of sharpness. Not enough to see which would be my preference, probably f1 Noctilux

Double Negative

Not Available
This just further cements my opinion that I'm not so much a fan of the FLE. I remember the first set of photos you posted, Ashwin - and had drawn that conclusion back then already.

And with the ASPH's focus shift, it makes me appreciate the Nokton that much more... I just wish it were a bit smaller, lighter and had a finger tab! :p

#2, IMO - is clearly the "winner" here.

D&A

This just further cements my opinion that I'm not so much a fan of the FLE. I remember the first set of photos you posted, Ashwin - and had drawn that conclusion back then already.

And with the ASPH's focus shift, it makes me appreciate the Nokton that much more... I just wish it were a bit smaller, lighter and had a finger tab! :p

#2, IMO - is clearly the "winner" here.
Yes, The Nokton is exceptionally good, all things considered. I often wish they could have made the redesigned (Ver II) a f1.4 lens, which would have probably reduced it's size significantly, but in the process kept most of it's other optical attributes. It's different than the other three lenses tested here...and when it's performance between approx f2 and f5.6 is evaluated, it's sort of a cross between the Lux ASPH and the Cron Asph, depending what f-stop is used. At f1.2 and f1.4, it's look is different.

Other than that, from Aswin's posted three images, I too prefer #2's rendering.

Dave (D&A)

iiiNelson

I agree. The Nokton II is a different animal but I would like to see how it compares. I don't mind the size of it personally but I also have pretty large hands.

algrove

Ok, like the idea, but can someone help me with part numbers instead of user friendly definitions.

What is the #11870 lens #3253xxx with 12504 hood?

I know the #11663 as the latest and greatest FLE.

What about the #11310 cron?

Thanks for any help.

And just for kicks dug out some 50mm that I found in the back of the shelf (hate to admit that):

50/1.4 Leitz Wetzlar S/N 2221xxx. Part number 11114 from 1967. Takes the hood #12586. Any good to you at all at 45 years old?
50/2 #11819 1913-1983, Any good-who currently uses one?

monza

Might want to post this in a new thread? :)

The 11870 is a 35 Summilux. Not ASPH.

The 11310 is a 35 Summicron version IV.

They are all good. :)

Photojazz

Well, I successfully picked out the FLE lens, and since I ordered one yesterday, I'm happy to know I thought it had teh best definition around the subject. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I didn't try to pick out the other two, I had no basis for choosing those.

sorry for digging this out of the cellar. ;)

Doug

IWC Doppel

Well I have an F1 version III Noctilux on it's way and I now have an E46 as well as an E43 Summilux. The E46 is going to Malcolm Taylor for coding and a CLA.

So far I like the 0.7m of the E46 and prefer it at F1.4 and F2, but there does seem a little more vibrance with the E43 and it is a little sharper at f2.8-5.6. I'll keep you posted ;)