The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shaving Leica R lens to work on Nikon D800/E

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This has been discussed on and off in the past ...but I am wondering about the practical experience both good and bad . Two of the very best Leica R lenses ..the 19/2.8 Elmarit V2 and the 35/1.4 Summilux both require some shaving of the shroud surrounding the rear elements . When focused at infinity the edge will clip the mirror on a D800/E (same issue on most Canon FF bodies).

The Leica R glass produces the aesthetic (look) that works best with my Leica M and S photographs . The sensor of course imparts some of the look but the glass is the larger factor . (We may see this as the M moves from CCD to CMOS) .

I ve been looking for a 19/2.8 and another member asked me ....do you know any repair service that would shave the lens ? Seemed like a good question ..however most photographers that are adapting the lens seem to trust the work to themselves.

Auni

I have used my R-50/1.4 on Nikon D800 and only had to remove the black rubber on the rear of the lens. I used a Leitax adapter. Their site is a wealth of information and I think if you pick your specific lenses and follow the links you will get detailed instructions.

I do know that the R-50/1.4 is wonderful on the Nikon D800... the Nikon 50/1.4 not so much.

Other R lenses look great on the M240. I have several long R lenses of the APO variety and they work well on my M. They also work well with just an adaptor on the Canon 5D series cameras.

Algrove has a lot of experience with R lenses. And, to answer your question - no.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This was followed up on another thread . I have had two lenses shaved by DAG and in both cases he did a great job . I bought the Leitax chipped mounts and sent the lens and mount to DAG . I have converted 6 Leica R lenses to Nikon mounts .