The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

monochrom banding

deardorff8x10

I was out on christmas eve taking pictures of lights and in a couple of shots at iso 5000, I got some type of banding in the images. It seemed to happen more with a few really bright points in an otherwise dark scene. I attached an example.

In some images, I could treat with a bit of work, others not so much. I am just wondering if this is something others have experienced.

Thanks,
Michael

Godfrey

Agree - these are tough shots to get right on exposure. I usually use a tripod, low ISO and long exposure.

V

Vivek

It still is a digital camera and behaves like one. So, you need to expose accordingly.

xdayv

i've noticed banding in some shots especially on lowlight (hi-iso) when shot severely underexposed.

douglasf13

Another consideration is that there's been evidence in the M9 that banding can show up if you shoot a few shots continuously, review an image while the card is still writing, or use certain SD cards. I've never used the MM, so I don't know if this applies to that camera, too.

algrove

I see your banding. I posted an image on the thread "Fun with your Monochrom". Many have told me it's a form of wavy banding. It is post #671, maybe page 14 to you.

It was shot at night, ISO 2500. I cannot see the banding of my image on my monitor, but I do see yours. Do you see mine on your monitor?

ced

I would rather call it streaking but on looking at the image I think with the combo of 5000iso and over opened shadows this is quite normal. You might need to find the optimal iso for this kind of work and do the rest in LR.
I think the image should have been more in the direction(not exactly) as the modded attachment.

Last edited:

deardorff8x10

Thanks -- Agree with the adjustments, and this is much closer to how I treated it as a real image. I just made everything brighter in the shadows in the first attachment to make the banding/streaking more obvious.