The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fungus? or Lense separation?

blimey

I am trying to figure out whether the mark inside my lens is fungus or some kind of lens separation?

The picture below - the blots or spots inside the element.

robsteve

Subscriber
Is that a 28mm? It looks like just a paint problem that some of the older lenses had. This is the paint where they black out the edges.

D&A

Is that a 28mm? It looks like just a paint problem that some of the older lenses had. This is the paint where they black out the edges.
I concur (in general not knowing what brand of lens it is). If the OP is refering to the white ovals between the two areas of outer specular highlights on the flat black ring, it simply looks like discoloration of the flat black paint. If you are refering to another area of your posted image, then I'm not seeing/or identifying the points of reference.

Dave (D&A)

blimey

Sorry guys, it is a 35mm Summicron v4... It is the whitish random spots inside the rear element (ring)

John Black

The white spots along the circumference appear to be paint loss. It's pretty common to see the black paint deteriorate with age (like 10-20 years). Little particles are flake off, resulting in some internal dust. This can also happen the edges the lenses because the edges are typically painted black to minimize internal reflections.