The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which 90mm for travel?

cam

i'm looking for a cheap and cheerful 90mm to travel with -- the lighter the better :D

i don't often shoot at this focal length, but i've found myself wanting to play with a longer lens when i'm visiting my dad in Hawaii, etc... i'll likely be stopped down, so speed isn't an issue here.

has anybody shot on the 90/4 Elmarit-C or Minolta equivalent? how about the 90/2.8 Thin Tele-Elmarit? any other options?

(keep in mind that i have a 75 Summilux and a 90 Summicron Asph in my arsenal -- both too big, heavy, and expensive to want to risk travelling with.)

thank you in advance!

wosim

I own the Canadian Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm and I am fully satisfied with this lightweight and tack-sharp lens. If you can get one, try it with your M-body (because I heard, that it is difficult, if not impossible, to calibrate this lens, if it is off - don`t know, if this is true).

Here are some examples:

P.S. I also own the Summicron 90mm pre-asph., which is often too heavy and therefore rarely used.

P.S. I own the Summilux 90mm pre-Asph, which is often too heavy and seldom used.

cam

thank you for those examples!

can you tell me about the weight/size/length of the lens in comparison to others you own?

this may sound silly that it matters, but i am travelling a *lot* and will be carrying my gear and computer on trains and planes, running through terminals in-between -- often for 20+ hours :bugeyes:

wosim

thank you for those examples!

can you tell me about the weight/size/length of the lens in comparison to others you own?

this may sound silly that it matters, but i am travelling a *lot* and will be carrying my gear and computer on trains and planes, running through terminals in-between -- often for 20+ hours :bugeyes:
It doen't sound silly! For that reason I bought not only the Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm but also the Tri-Elmar 28-35-50mm and the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21mm. These three lenses in combination with one 1.4 lens like the Summilux-M 50mm Asph. for low-light is in my opinion the most versatile and light-weight kit.

My Summicron-M 2.0 90mm weighs with front and rear cap and filter 536 grs. (10,7 cm long). The Tele-Elmarit-M 2.8 90mm weighs only 268 gr. (9,2 cm long).

More information to 90mm lenses (and others) like lens reviews or forum discussions you can find on my large link list here:

https://sites.google.com/site/wosimsphotography/links-testberichte-reviews/testberichte-objektive-leica-lens-reviews-75mm-90mm

Hope, this is helpful !

V

Vivek

Cam, I have a Minolta Rokkor-C 90/4 (not used nowadays). If you want to try, let me know.

cam

Cam, I have a Minolta Rokkor-C 90/4 (not used nowadays). If you want to try, let me know.
ooh, Vivek, i see a play date in our future!

let me talk to my other half and see if we can do a road trip... (he's off for a walkabout with his OMD since he's bored with me being housebound)

V

Vivek

The Rokkor is about 1.7cm shorter than the 90/4 Elmar (3 element). The focus throw is also very short with the Rokkor. I think the exit pupil is also located closer to the sensor plane in the Rokkor compared to the Elmar.

I can't say how they would perform on a M9/MM (since I never tried it) but I think, I would prefer the Elmar based on the image quality.

D&A

Hi Cam,

I cannot think of a higher performing light weight ultra compact 90mm lens than the 90mm f4 Macro-Elmar. It's collapsible, if thats a consideration and from wide open at f4, it's spectacularly sharp, not all diffferent than the 90mm Cron AA when it's shot at f2 -f2.8 and a bit sharper than the Elamrit-M 90mm f2.8 at f2.8 (a fanatastic all around lens). It's bokeh is exceptionally good too, considering it is only an f4 lens. It won't win a prize for how it draws in terms of subtle "roundness" as the 75mm Lux or 90mm Cron pre AA do, but for travel, if you can deal with a max aperture of f4, it's ideal if not a bit slow in extending it out into shooting position.

It's weights something like 225g and focuses down to .78 meters without the optional macro close-up eyes.

Just one of a number of good options for compact travel 90mm lenses.

Dave (D&A)

cam

Vivick, wosim, again, thank you for the replies... 90mm's are so hard!

Dave, sigh, that would probably be the ultimate travel lens! i really would love a macro, too, but unfortunately it doesn't fit my budget at the moment :eek:

there is a little trade show here in a couple of weeks and i'm planning on checking out the booths as i definitely understand that i need to check out the various lenses on my camera. the more input (info and opinions) i can get, the better!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
How a lens handles and its overall size and feel are very important in my lens selection . The current Elmarit-M 2.8 is one of my favorite lenses for travel and street . I have settled on the 21/3.4SEM,28/2CRON,50LUX and the 90EM for a daylight kit . These are all 46mm filters and are similar in size and weight . This is a good light kit and produces beautiful color .

Double Negative

Not Available
I have the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 and love it. It's small (a bit longer than a 50 Lux), light, shares the typical 46mm filter size and is still a great bargain (even now that the price is about double what it was a year or two ago). Bonus if it's 6-bit coded, but not necessary. Mostly for EXIF data.

Image wise, it's wonderfully sharp and contrasty from wide open and has a nice bokeh. The only lens that's better is the new APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2. Which is larger, heavier and more expensive (and takes larger filters). As much as I wanted the extra stop, I find the Elmarit a better solution (for me).

Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 sample photos

cam

thank you, Godfrey, those look great, especially for the price :D

Roger, thank you, but you're carrying more in your daylight kit than i want to take for the whole trip (day/night, indoor/outdoor, L.A./Maui and destinations unknown).

the current Elmarit, whilst beloved by many, does not seem to be all that much smaller or lighter (am i mistaken in this?) that the APO Summicron, and it seems to be going for more than i was hoping to spend. it also seems a bit redundant in my kit since i do have the Cron.

i will likely take one of my tiny 35mm pre-asphs and then weigh up the pros and cons of my 50's (E59 Nocti or BP 50 pre-asph Lux). the 90 will round it out. (and, if i go crazy for my old 21/3.4 SA, i might toss that in too as it's tiny and i'll eat my words by making it a 4 lens kit).

cam

ah, Dave, just saw your post on the Elmarit-M so i guess i must be mistaken about the size and weight... hmmmm... off to look at your photos.

monza

How about this, cam?

Chrome makes it a bit heavier, but collapsible makes it small. :)

My favorite is the 90/2.8 Tele Elmarit-M. Actually lighter than the 90/4 Elmar-C.

Godfrey

My very small traveling lens kit: for GXR ...
CV 21mm f/4
M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 II
M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

for M9 ...
CV Ultron 28mm f/2 (or CV Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 to save on size/weight)
CV Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH
M-Rokkor 90mm f/4

Either of these lens kits produces lovely results, is very carryable and compact, and was very reasonably priced.

G

FWIW: note that both M-Rokkors have the same JIS 40.5mm filter thread. Makes filters much easier to come by, and cheaper, and they're the same size used by my Voigtländer Bessa III.

cam

How about this, cam?

Chrome makes it a bit heavier, but collapsible makes it small. :)

My favorite is the 90/2.8 Tele Elmarit-M. Actually lighter than the 90/4 Elmar-C.
gorgeous, Robert! it would amuse me to no end if my entire kit was chrome lenses now that i have a truly stealth black camera :ROTFL:

so the Tele Elmarit-M is different than the Tele-Elmarit... pfffft! more homework time.

Just an idea - you might also check the Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/85 ZM lens. Slow but light....
never heard of this lens, so thank you. (you've still got me a bit obsessed with the size of that Macro-Elmar, though... sigh.)

Shashin

Here is the Rokkor 90mm f/4 on an E-P1. It is nice and small--the lens adapter has a larger diameter. And if it is not a focal length you do not use often, it is a great traveling companion.