The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M6 ttl bubbles on top plate

MJMoore

I have found a used M6 ttl that is in like new shape (<10 rolls loaded) except for some bubbling in the finish on the top plate - web says that this is normal - when Leica changed the top material from Brass to Zinc they unfortunately had a run of bubbles due to poor surface prep on a lot of cameras. Have any of you had this problem - it is just cosmetic - - is there a way to have the top plate of the camera resurfaced or replaced? I am new to Leica/Rangefinder Cameras and wanted to jump into the family with a film version.

Thanks for any advice
Michael

Kokoshawnuff

I've never had it, but the info you describe is correct. Yes it's just cosmetic, and yes leica can fix for what I'm sure is quite a lot of money, you can have it reprinted by someone like Shintaro (again, expensive but you would have a rare black paint M6), or you can hunt down a top plate and have a technician replace it...

If its going to bother you, I'd suggest you find another that doesn't have this issue because all of the remedies I mentioned would likely be $500+

Edit: Shintaro doesn't paint M6s, I'm sure someone out there does though

cucoloris

Mine developed it too after a few years from purchase and Leica replaced the top under warranty. After a few years it reappeared on the new top but much less.

Someone told me that it's from being stored in the Leica ever-ready case and I actually did use the ever-ready when I first got it, but I don't know if it's true or not. I stopped caring about the bubbles but also stopped storing the camera in the case when not using it ... maybe I do care a little after all.

The M6ttl is really a lovely camera even with bubbles and you can always have Leica replace the top if it keeps bothering you.

edwardkaraa

I had a couple of small bubbles on the top plate of my Zeiss Ikon black. Minor finishing defect, no biggie. Never bothered me.

moreammo

My M6 had a some bubbles up there too. nothing crazy but it is normal. i was once told out it was because of the material they used underneath was not brass on those units and the method they used to bind the paint was meant for brass. i don't know if thats true or not but thats what i heard.
-Jon