The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More M240 sample images

Double Negative

Not Available
How were they "confirmed" as made with the new M (not M9)? The Facebook post merely says the photographer is on a journey with the new M. It doesn't confirm that all of the photos were made with the new M. It doesn't state that the new M is the only camera he is using. The EXIF for the newest photos (Kyrgyzstan) indicates that 9 of the photos were made with the M9 and 11 were made with the new M. I am inclined to believe that the EXIF is correct.

Unless people are checking the EXIF for each photo, they may in fact be complaining about some M9 photos when they complain about the Canon "look".
Hmm, good point there.

D&A

Hi,

I posted this thought elsewhere.....but has anyone considered that all images might be taken by the new M (M240) but with two individual M240 cameras with different firmware revisions in order to compare. If this is the case, one might read M9 in the exif data while the other reads M240 and thats why images from each camera look different. Every time they make a firmware revision early on, there must be some testing in comparing the two. Just a thought.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I'm reserving judgement for when a few regulars get them in their hand but in a word I'd describe the M(Type 240) as "STERILE."

thrice

The problem with the shots that have surfaced so far is they are all shot in midday sun or overcast which will always give you a flat image. No dynamic or golden hour light.

I am sure Leica are putting the camera in the right hands to get some interesting shots taken at the right time of day. Give one to Nathan Kiern for gods sake!

teeraash

I posted this in DPR. What do you think?

1. These pics were not released by Gaummy. Probably a marketing unit released these pics and obviously they were not properly post processed. See dust spots? Probably, a marketing unit for M has made plan in advance 5-6 months and that is why they released images which were taken 5-6 months ago with beta or alpha M's firmware.

2. Gaummy took many more interesting pics. See in the video? These pics will be properly post processed by him and released shortly. We will see. After all he is Magnum guy.

3. We cannot compare these images with the M9's Venice and Cuba launch pictures as they were heavily PPed and had lot more wow effect.

4. It seems to me that new images have lot and lot of dynamic range that is why they may look somewhat flat ( M monochrom anyone?). Give the files to people who knows about pp they can easily turn them to technically stunned images (not aesthetically though).

5. Dr. Ulrich's yatch racing pictures have better color rendition in my eyes as they were produced by a more recent firmware?

6. Hope to get my M soon as some may cancel their reserves, my wishful thinking, may be.

StephenPatterson

I'm a Leica fan, but I am somewhat amazed at how people are lining up to buy a camera that has not yet demonstrated superior image quality to it's predecessor. If you recall the M8's "new" sensor design, the KAF-10500 between Leica and Kodak, wasn't exactly without issue. Now we have Leica and CMOSIS working together on a revolutionary new design which has never been used before. Combine that with all new hardware and firmware and I am cautiously optimistic but will wait for the teething problems to get sorted out before parting with my $7000 USD (or my M9).

In many ways this is a much more ambitious engineering undertaking than the S2 (or the M8) was. I am hoping for the best, but I am absolutely not ready to pull the trigger based on what has been presented so far.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While I can t speak for the MONO ....I suffered thru the releases of the M8,M9 and to a lesser degree the S2 . With the M8/M9 I obtained two bodies as soon as I could which was in about 90 days of launch . (getting one is easier getting two requires more than one list ).

In each case you may remember (or not) several releases of new firmware as well as improvements in post processing occurred within the first 6 months . Raw is not raw ....Leica adjusts the raw files to a specific color response thru firmware . Adobe ,their partner, then adjusts the raw conversions and the specific vendor calibration. This can be a night and day difference in the aesthetic of the files ..in the "straight out of the camera " conversion .

The S2 files at release were incredibly difficult to process to optimum IQ ..often appearing flat (they were linear tone curves ) . Only after updates to the firmware and the Adobe products ..plus the creation of development presets ....did the files appear pleasing to my eye. I waited on the S2 (its less important to my daily shooting) and it resulted in a high degree of customer satisfaction on my part . My camera was free of the defects found in the initial launch cameras and the firmware/software was refined .

teeraash

I have 6 M-mount lens that I'm dying to use but have no M-mount camera. My options are M, M9, MM, or Ricoh A12 M. May be I have a bit of gambling blood in me, my hunch is to go with the M though I had used M9 for a week and instantly fell in love with it. For sure I will have chances to see many more samples before my dealer got the Ms.

StephenPatterson

Roger, I have no doubt that Leica will get there, but I agree that it might take some time.

Remember, even the M5 eventually had all it's issues sorted out. It was called the M6...

StephenPatterson

I have 6 M-mount lens that I'm dying to use but have no M-mount camera. My options are M, M9, MM, or Ricoh A12 M. May be I have a bit of gambling blood in me, my hunch is to go with the M though I had used M9 for a week and instantly fell in love with it. For sure I will have chances to see many more samples before my dealer got the Ms.
That's a no brainer. Six M mount lenses and no body? Buy a used M9 or new M-E tomorrow. Take incredible images every day for the next six months, then revisit the question.

I will be in Bangkok in a few weeks, and would be happy to go shooting and put some of that glass to work with you. It's a great city for photography.

teeraash

That's a no brainer. Six M mount lenses and no body? Buy a used M9 or new M-E tomorrow. Take incredible images every day for the next six months, then revisit the question.

I will be in Bangkok in a few weeks, and would be happy to go shooting and put some of that glass to work with you. It's a great city for photography.
Sound good, pm me if you happen to be in town. May be you can show me how to photo the City.;)

StephenPatterson

Sound good, pm me if you happen to be in town. May be you can show me how to photo the City.;)
I'm quite certain that you don't need me to tell you your style, but we can have fun comparing notes and trying out hardware. I'll bring the M2 along so you can get that "analog" vibe as well.

Double Negative

Not Available
All these samples really amount to nothing, if you ask me. They're too small for one thing, JPEGs at that, shot under less than ideal conditions and have dubious PP. The only thing they're actually good for is stirring the pot... ;)

I'm "on the list" for the new M and I have mixed feelings. Not because of the images or anything like that, but for the same reason as many of you - it's radically new. Time will tell how it pans out. If it doesn't work out, that's fine too - I love my M9 the way it is.

algrove

All these samples really amount to nothing, if you ask me. They're too small for one thing, JPEGs at that, shot under less than ideal conditions and have dubious PP. The only thing they're actually good for is stirring the pot... ;)

I'm "on the list" for the new M and I have mixed feelings. Not because of the images or anything like that, but for the same reason as many of you - it's radically new. Time will tell how it pans out. If it doesn't work out, that's fine too - I love my M9 the way it is.
Agree, I just do not want to be a $7k beta tester for Leica. They've already taken way too much from my bank account.

I have a very new M9P for sale. It's my second which was hardly used. 2165 actuations.

Double Negative

Not Available
Agree, I just do not want to be a $7k beta tester for Leica. They've already taken way too much from my bank account.

I have a very new M9P for sale. It's my second which was hardly used. 2165 actuations.
Maybe I'll pick up a spare M9P and keep it under the bed for a rainy day when my original gives up the ghost if this new M thing doesn't work out. ;)

jaapv

Subscriber Member
3. We cannot compare these images with the M9's Venice and Cuba launch pictures as they were heavily PPed and had lot more wow effect.
Leica marketing has turned to photography rather than look-what-I-can-do shots. Expect photographic content rather than technical demonstrations for the real introduction portfolio.
See the way the Monochrom was introduced with the Sobol series.
Leica will leave the technical showoff images to reviewers and early users, I predict.

StephenPatterson

Leica will leave the technical showoff images to reviewers and early users, I predict.
I can't help but feel this is just bizarre, but where marketing is concerned Leica does seem to be feeling their way along. The new M...The new S...ohhhh, so cool.

Perhaps Ferrari will adopt this course and have random soccer moms taking Modena's latest creations to the grocery store, but I have a feeling that seeing laps turned at Fiorano by Michael Schumacher is a better strategy.

edwardkaraa

Don't worry guys, the M will be up to your expectations. Some will be a bit disappointed that the rendering will be different from the M9, due to CCD/CMOS, different manufacturer, different microlens layout... etc. But overall the M will probably be Leica's most successful digital M.