The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens lineup: opinion?

edwardkaraa

Depends on how much you like to change lenses, really. If I have a zoom - I use it. If I'm shooting primes, I'm often too lazy to change lenses unless really necessary. :p
I think changing lenses frequently on a shoot isn't necessary. I often work with one lens only. I may bring everything with me, but once on the spot, I will decide which lens I want to use based on the subject matter and what I'm trying to achieve, and normally would stick with it all the way. If I know the spot well, I will take just one lens that i want to use and leave the rest at home.

Godfrey

I think changing lenses frequently on a shoot isn't necessary. I often work with one lens only. I may bring everything with me, but once on the spot, I will decide which lens I want to use based on the subject matter and what I'm trying to achieve, and normally would stick with it all the way. If I know the spot well, I will take just one lens that i want to use and leave the rest at home.
I only very very rarely regret not having a lens with me. I use one lens for the vast majority of all my shooting sessions ... often carry two, make the decision which to go with when I get to where or what it is I want to shoot, and never change for the remainder of the session.

This is particularly true when I'm using ultra-wides. I find swapping between an ultrawide and a normal generally produces poor work with both ... I guess I can't change mental fields of view very quickly. When I work with ultra wide in particular, it's the ONLY lens I have with me and I quickly come to see in what it sees, and nothing else.

G

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm not suggesting that a 28+50 will substitute for a 35 if a 35 is what you need. John perhaps made the point clearer. Start with your main focal length; be it 35, 50 or whatever. Build out from there. Of course it depends on what and how you shoot. There's no rule about a spread as much as it is a collection of your favorite focal lengths, really. But if you have a limited budget, getting every focal length along the way isn't all that practical.

iiiNelson

But if you have a limited budget, getting every focal length along the way isn't all that practical.
No but a good kit is feasible on a budget with selective and smart purchasing. For instance getting a ZM 50 Planar (or 35 Biogon-C if you're a 35 person), a Biogon or older Leica for your wide, and a older Leica, CV 75 Color Heliar, or ZM 85/4 for your telephoto. That would net you a very good kit for under $2500 new and less if you're patient.