The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Summilux-M 35mm Pre-ASPH on the M Monochrom

borge

Does anyone have experience with this lens on a M Monochrom?
I have seen som lovely B&W's shot with this lens on film so I am wondering how it will perform on a MM.

I am currently considering a mint one with a serialnumber of 276xxxx which was manufactured in 1975/1976. Will this fit on a digital body without modification?

cam

it used to be my favourite lens on the Epson, but i haven't gotten around to shooting with it on the Monochrom (it's been very icy outside and i am still recovering from a knee injury).

it's a lovely little lens, but has a few limitations. it definitely has a softer more glowy look wide open than the newer Asphs (a look i love) and can be prone to flare (alien ships, anybody?). it also has the 1m close-focusing limitation. (that bothered me a lot so i bought an Asph, but i still prefer the way the pre-asph renders).

the biggest issue is that some of the lenses have a shroud and need to be modified for use with a digital camera (infinity is an issue). i don't think i've seen any definitive list of serial numbers affected, though... do a google search and look at the issue in regards to the M9 and you should find a tonne of informative threads.

ETA: also, i don't believe you can physically code this lens (though you can choose it in the menu).

oc garza

I use the 35 cron V4 on an M9 with no problems at all. It is a great combination but do not have the MM for comparison.

cam

all the pre-asph Summicrons work without any issues on the digital M's, O.C. i've used the v.1 (8 element one) on the Monochrom and it's a stunning combination, especially for sunny days!

borge, i ended up taking the Asph to use in conjunction with the Noctilux last night in case i needed close focusing... as there was very little light, almost all the shots were at an obscenely high ISO. despite this, i regret that i didn't take the pre-asph as well because i wouls have loved to see how it handled the situation. also, it is much more reliable at any aperture than my Asph. not that i really had much chance to stop down, but i probably would have tried anyways.

i hope you found the answer to the shroud elsewhere but, if you're still interested, i will try to go out and shoot with it...

oh, and one other thing i thought of since i know you've been playing with filters. i believe to use filters on the pre-asph you need the hood -- so make sure that's included. (mine was modified by the previous owner and has a thread on the lens itself for filters so its never been an issue for me.)

and if you've never read it, this is a must! The legend of Lux-do