The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Expectations for the New M

Godfrey

Nice!

But...that's not a moving duck. :)
LOL!
Sorry, I don't shoot many pictures of ducks. ;-)

I have a lovely egret in flight that is also razor sharp without needing any magnification or peaking assistance to focus it, but it was taken with a different adapted lens on a different camera body.

Returning to the subject of expectations for the new M: I expect it to be a fine rangefinder camera, with the added benefits derived from being able to do Live View and capture video. I don't expect that Live View and video will be essential to using it, just like I've not found image stabilization to be essential to my photography either.

algrove

I have posted here back in December an image of a statue at night with the R 280/4.0 at 4.0 focused on a GXR+M mount and then switched the camera body to a Monochrom. I had no problem with the focusing setup nor while focusing. The lens was mounted on a Gitzo 2500 series tripod in a stiff wind and freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Quite frankly, it is odd to be discussing tripods and focus peking with a M instead unique braided leather straps and Luigi cases in different colors and feel.

I could throw the G1s and the NEX' around without much concern in a back pack. What kind of pouches and bags would be be looking fo he M.

This is not Leica like. :bugeyes:

Godfrey

Quite frankly, it is odd to be discussing tripods and focus peking with a M instead unique braided leather straps and Luigi cases in different colors and feel.

I could throw the G1s and the NEX' around without much concern in a back pack. What kind of pouches and bags would be be looking fo he M.

This is not Leica like. :bugeyes:
I don't know what's not Leica like about it. I treat all my cameras with the same care and use the same bags/cases/straps for all of them too. ??

G

edwardkaraa

Just wondering which Leica body are you currently shooting with Vivek.

D&A

Although there is all this talk about how "IS" may possibly useful with longer focal length lenses, focus peaking, EVF magnification etc,....don't forget for some, simply being able to take a low light shot, at dusk or nighttime etc., hand held with even a fast lens, might require a shutter speed thats just not handholdable unless the ISO isaised to a level that would be detrimental to age quality. In this case and some others where a few stops are gained from use of IS, it can certainly be an advanatge even for a simple camera like a M9, M-E, etc...maybe even the new "M" with it's improved higher ISO performance. IS also has had it's place with regards to certain kinds of photographic situations with DSLR's. I'm not a hugh fan of it (IS), but I've been saved by it, more than once.

Again everyone's needs and style of photography are different....some want/need IS, some don't...some want an EVF, focus peaking etc., some don't. If the feature can be turned off and effectivly transparent, then this opens up options for all.

Dave (D&A)

Jeff S

Two things I'm glad to see that haven't been mentioned are return to the 2m frame lines of the M8.2 and a more quiet shutter re-cock sound (based on video reviews) than the obnoxious motor wind of the other digital Ms.

Of course the key will be IQ, and all of this awaits testing. But I welcome an M that's virtually the same size as the M8 or M9 (only heavier due to a larger battery) that's better sealed, and with the potential capability to avoid hauling around a bulky DSLR for the occasional tripod/tele shot.

No rush in any case, as I've never been an early adopter, preferring to let the inevitable teething issues get sorted. In the meantime, I still prefer the M8.2 for my needs and preferences.

Nice to have choices, all of which are fully capable of providing the means to get to the ultimate print.

Jeff

monza

don't forget for some, simply being able to take a low light shot, at dusk or nighttime etc., hand held with even a fast lens, might require a shutter speed thats just not handholdable
Indeed...the Leica has traditionally been known for low light photography, it would make sense for them to continue that tradition with IBIS. It's just as useful with shorter focal lengths. :)

edwardkaraa

My gripe on IS is that more often than not, it makes the picture worse, and I'm talking from experience. I turned it off in my A900. For low light shooting, there is only one way, tripod. For moving subjects, only higher shutter speeds will freeze the movement. IS doesn't help in this case. IMO, the IS is way overrated.

monza

For those that haven't used an OM-D with a manual focus medium tele (say 100-135mm) I suggest trying it. You'd swear you were viewing through a normal lens, or looking thru a magic device that slows down time through the viewfinder. :) Makes the world slow and fluid, no shakes. Of course, IBIS has nothing to do with stopping subject motion.

D&A

My gripe on IS is that more often than not, it makes the picture worse, and I'm talking from experience. I turned it off in my A900. For low light shooting, there is only one way, tripod. For moving subjects, only higher shutter speeds will freeze the movement. IS doesn't help in this case. IMO, the IS is way overrated.
It certainly can and theres no argument from me. :). Yet at the same time there are circumstances where a tripod and/or monopod isn't feasable nor allowed and the difference IS will often make in those circumstances, is either getting a quite respectable, useable shot, or nothing at all. Since IS can be turned off, it's simply an option if ever needed for the circumstances I described and at other times, can be left "off", if thats what desired.

Dave (D&A)

edwardkaraa

It certainly can and theres no argument from me. :). Yet at the same time there are circumstances where a tripod and/or monopod isn't feasable nor allowed and the difference IS will often make in those circumstances, is either getting a quite respectable, useable shot, or nothing at all. Since IS can be turned off, it's simply an option if ever needed for the circumstances I described and at other times, can be left "off", if thats what desired.

Dave (D&A)
I agree with you Dave. Certainly in the cases you mentioned, IS would be very helpful.

But I have a few concerns from my Sony days about IS, even when left on off, there were several cases mentioned on the forums when the IS mechanism was broken and the sensor was tilted to one side or not exactly flat. Just one more thing that can go wrong and ruin your shooting, not just for one day but for a couple of months.

D&A

I agree with you Dave. Certainly in the cases you mentioned, IS would be very helpful.

But I have a few concerns from my Sony days about IS, even when left on off, there were several cases mentioned on the forums when the IS mechanism was broken and the sensor was tilted to one side or not exactly flat. Just one more thing that can go wrong and ruin your shooting, not just for one day but for a couple of months.
Edward, I couldn't agree with you more, especially the example your outlined. Of course if we look at it this way, then a lot of the new technology being introduced in the new M could also falter and although it might not result in a total loss of picture taking at a critical moment or while on a trip, it neverless will eventually leave the user of the camera without it for weeks/months while being serviced. I guess that's the price of introducing more and more technology into today's cameras.

Just think, a user of an all manual Leica M film camera of the 1950's 60"s etc. would even balk at the simplest digital rangefinder, citing countless of reasons why that camera will be prone to failure and inoperable, similar to what you described with IS and Sony. These sometimes are tough choices as to whether to incorporate certain features or not. Just food for thought.

Dave (D&A)

KeithL

Despite having reservations about the quality of the EVF and CMOS as opposed to CCD the M is still on my radar. There are many features I would value.

My main concerns are Leica's quality control, their buggy releases and service.

Time will tell.

Godfrey

Despite all the complexity of today's digital cameras, I'm happy to say that I've had exactly no problems with any new or used digital camera I've bought in the past dozen years. All have worked flawlessly from the moment I bought to them when I sold them 20-50 thousand exposures later, or continue to work flawlessly since I'm still shooting with them.

I wish I could say the same for the film cameras I've purchased, every one of which other than new out of the box has needed one or another kind of service (although not always critically).

Yes, every manufactured product will show up with some defectives ... it's inevitable. But the number of defectives are generally in the 1-3% range. There's really nothing to worry about.

G

Knorp

How about Digiscoping with the M ?
Already possible for the DLUXs, but FF could be fun and provide much better detail.
What do you think ? Is it feasable ?
:watch:

Kind regards.

Godfrey

How about Digiscoping with the M ?
Already possible for the DLUXs, but FF could be fun and provide much better detail.
What do you think ? Is it feasable ?
Digiscoping is generally more feasible with smaller format sensors due to image circle issues, never mind the mechanical issues of aligning and holding steady a larger, heavier camera with the telescope.

Of course, nothing stops you from giving it a go and seeing what you can get from it. :)

G

jabberwocky

I would have rather they included IS and then had a button to turn it off.

I expect it to be better than the M9 most if not all aspects, but I also expect complaints about how it is too perfect and lacks character if Leica doesn't include a quirk or two. =)