The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF.2 Lenses on a Leica M9

Alun

Does anyone have any experience of using Zeiss ZF.2 (Nikon F mount) lenses with a Novoflex adapter on a Leice M9 body? Are there any pitfalls or does it "just work"?

Many thanks in advance of any replies,
Alun

Gary Clennan

You can certainly mount it but you will not be able to control aperture. You would also have to guesstimate your focusing as there is not live view function on the M9. I think it would be an exercise in frustration..... Maybe just wait for the new M240 to come out. :)

nandemofoto

Actually, if you get standard Nikon AiS to Leica M adapter you CAN control aperture since the Zeiss lenses have aperture ring.
You can also get Nikon G to Leica M adapters which allows you to open up or close down aperture on nikon G lenses.

As far as the usage goes, you can use them without problem for infinity shots (landscapes), close ups (you can measure the distance from the sensor to the object with a meter and then set the distance on the lens) or for zone focusing streets shots.

Gary Clennan

Actually, if you get standard Nikon AiS to Leica M adapter you CAN control aperture since the Zeiss lenses have aperture ring.
My mistake, I thought that the Zeiss ZF.2 lenses do not have an aperature ring.... I still wouldn't recommend it as a all around option. For landscape shots, well stopped down, it may work OK though.

John Black

Using SLR lenses will work fine on the M 240 via its live view and optional EVF, but on a M9, it would be an insane amount of trial & error to get focus. And even if willing to put up with trial & error, the image review on the M9's rear LCD on not good enough to judge critical focus.

I've tried some Contax RTS lenses on the M9 (via adapter) just to see what the file quality could look like. The files looked fine, but focusing... forget it..., no freakin' way. When my M 240 gets here, it'll be a different story.