The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M files available from Jono

iiiNelson

These should've been the first images shown and a few of them I've already seen but assumed they were M9 shots. Jono isa sneaky one and I'm sold on the Type 240 now.

jonoslack

HI Roger -
Thanks for the link.

Obviously the DNG files are as they were. Where there are processed jpgs, they were done in Aperture (my favorite). I have done some comparisons with the M9, but I'm afraid I'm rather allergic to publishing results from comparisons - there's so many ways of interpreting everything, and my neck already feels very stuck out!

V

Vivek

I recognize many photos which were posted here as from M9, Jono.

jonoslack

HI Vivek
Well - the M pictures thread is about images, not about technicality, and pixel peeping at that resolution isn't very useful - I plead guilty to one or two pictures having their exif stripped and files renamed. There didn't seem to be any harm done.
all the best

jlm

Workshop Member
so jono, how did you like the "new" ergonomics, larger highrez lcd viewer, did you try the EVfinder?

V

Vivek

Well, Jono, I was not complaining, in case you misunderstood (I also think all photography is about the images whether it is Leica or even Hasslblad Lunar).

I liked the images then and also now. Particularly, the bread and olive oil shot taken with the 135 APO. :)

cly

Thanks a lot for posting these files, Jono!

A question about your leica forum posting: You write "there is a little shutter lag" - what is the shutter lag like in comparision to the M9?

Chris

ashwinrao1

Jono, will you have a write up of the camera as you did with the MM and M9?

By the way, great work all around! No matter what the camera, I have always enjoyed the rich files they you have provided us for viewing (and editing)

jonoslack

Hi Ashwin
Thanks for the kind words - I am planning a write-up - but it won't be until everybody else is allowed to do one as well. Not fair otherwise.

all the best

monza

I too have a lagging question. :)

At first when I read there is "a little shutter lag", I got the impression this was a step back, but then I read "less shutter lag" than an M9.

Jono, well done on keeping that secret for so long!

On the picture in the snow, young lady with a dog ... is the jacket really purple or is there an IR issue?

Regards
Paul

Godfrey

Jono,

First good samples I've seen, I was waiting to hear from you as I suspected you were involved...

I imagine this means that Leica is just about ready to release the new M to the dealers. :)

It's funny, but WAY back in 2000 when I was still shooting with the Nikon F3 (and I still love that camera), I conjectured that what I needed to be satisfied with a digital camera was a Nikon F3 or Leica M with 4000x6000 pixels resolution, enough storage for 1000 exposures, and enough battery storage to fill the storage.

Fourteen years later, it's come to be, more or less ... at least on the Leica side of the fence. I'd never have imagined Leica would be here in 2002, thought it would be Nikon. Sadly, the F3 was eclipsed by AF stuff to the point where I am less enchanted by its successors in both film and digital. Modern SLRs, with few exceptions, have lost the clean simplicity of the F3 and FM/FE generation.

G

Godfrey

At first when I read there is "a little shutter lag", I got the impression this was a step back, but then I read "less shutter lag" than an M9.
I think the "little shutter lag" is when using the EVF/Live View ... the shutter has to close first, then reopen. And any LCD/EVF will have a small amount of lag as well. In normal RF operation, I expect the new M to be a bit more responsive than the M9.

G

jonoslack

HI Robert
Godfrey has it.
the shutter lag is when using Live view-in classic mode the shutter lag is less than the M9.
Live view is fantastic - but it's not for action photography.
I hope this helps
all the best
Jonathan

jonoslack

Jono, well done on keeping that secret for so long!

On the picture in the snow, young lady with a dog ... is the jacket really purple or is there an IR issue?

Regards
Paul
Hi Paul
quick off the mark! The young lady will be very pleased with your remark (it's my wife) - the jacket is purply/blue, the IR is pretty much exactly the same as the M9 - certainly no worse - so - there is a light effect with some acrylic materials.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Jono,

great shots as always and thanks so much for this!

Now please apologize - I do not want to sound concerned or negative by any means - but IMHO some of these files show a pretty strong green cast. Something which usually the latest Nikon generations (D800 and D4) are blamed and known for, but Leica M was never as far as I can remember.

Is this only me seeing it? If not is Leica going to do something about it?

I think the typical Kodachrome look is pretty different.

Peter

D&A

Jono, an excellent selection of respresentive images with the new M and truly appreciate, as always, your posted work. I assume from your responses to previous inquiries, that if Live view/EVF is "off", shutter lag is essentually the same as the M9?

Very much looking forward to your eventual write-up of the new M as your past writings have always been extremely informative.

Dave (D&A)