The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M files available from Jono

jonoslack

Yeah I read some of the comments on Steve Huff's site and after about the fifth insulting comment I just stopped reading. IF you don't think they are the greatest photos then a person is entitled to their opinion but there's no need for extreme rudeness in reference to the photographer's ability ever.
Leica rumors was the same - interesting that they're now giving Thorsten a going over for a lighthearted interview with Kaufmann.
I think you mentioned here and at LUF that you were shooting to showcase the camera and not the lenses and that's what I felt about the files upon first glance. They were lightly, nicely processed family vacation photos and showed off what to expect from the camera.
They aren't processed at all - not even straightened (with one jpg exception) - they're just out of the camera files.

I think some people had it in their mind that Leica should only show highly processed photos like the ones from Cuba. I think those did a great deal to sell camera and while it's not a dishonest practice, as it is technically possible to create that sort of image, that method shows off PP skills as much as composition skills. I didn't feel that is what you were going for though. Again I appreciate your viewpoint and decision to go the route you did. It makes for a better baseline to process to each individual's personal photo preference IMO.
They'll do that as well - (Jean Gaumy etc.).

But it's rather like showing your laundry basket in public.

Here's just an example - two the shots as I meant them (rather than the bland originals).

I'm sure most of us would find the same with our images - you see something, grab it and then turn it into what you want -

all the best

Last edited:

D&A

Jono Wrote>>>"But it's rather like showing your laundry basket in public"<<<

Maybe if your laundry basket had a varietal amount of different colored clothes, which of course matches your personality....we'd know in one fell swoop the color reproduction potential of the new "M"...LOL! No need for us to angst over whether it can produce this color or that with compete accuracy!...we'd have our answer!

Here in the States there is a Bank card commercial asking "what's in your wallet"....maybe we should start a thread..."what's in your laundry basket" and then go about photographing ours :). On second thought, maybe not! :thumbdown:

Oh, that second pic "above" is just lovely with the percived emotion between the two. Images like that transcend which camera was used to take the shot!

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Here in the States there is a Bank card commercial asking "what's in your wallet"....maybe we should start a thread..."what's in your laundry basket" and then go about photographing ours :). On second thought, maybe not!
:thumbdown:
Certainly not our laundry basket!

Oh, that second pic "above" is just lovely with the percived emotion between the two. Images like that transcend which camera was used to take the shot!

Dave (D&A)
Thank you! I think the point is that it's not particularly obvious from the DNG, which needed straightening and cropping first. Which is my point really. . . . . as for what's in my wallet - simple - nothing (we just booked flights to China :bugeyes:)

sven

Leica keyboard warriors out for blood in various websites. Geez, the same reaction of degrading comments when Nikon released its D800/E, now its Leica's turn I suppose. Some of the comments in certain websites are outright rude.

These are just samples to download and play with. Leica and the photographers involved have released these fine images in good faith, that is, for evaluation of the camera output. Instead the keyboard warriors have a field day, insulting the photographers. I have been in this forum for quite some time but do not post much. Thanks for being one of the few sites where comments are mature and intelligent.

Shashin

Same with the RX-1 and just about every release. It seemed the less people knew, the more they would bash. The next time I get excited about a new camera, I am keeping it to myself.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have not looked into the new Leica yet as I have been busy with other things but this bashing seems to happen with every new entry into the market. The reality is this the profiles in all the processors is never good on release and these cams get judged with unfair brutality as its supposed to be perfect out of the gate. Anyone with half a brain should know better that until these correct profiles are out than its really hard to evaluate anything. I have reviewed so many out of the gate products its scary how bad they are until the correct profiles are made. This is not just color but sharpness, noise and so on. I remember the S2 for example looked horrific in C1 using there generic DNG profile. Than looked better under LR and even better later with update. This is normal but people can't seem to understand that and if your a Leica fan its even worse the koolaid attitude. LOL

My advice to our members just be patient and wait until things settle down and good profiles are available to make good comparisons on your upgrade purchases. I'm looking forward to see what this new chip can do myself but I know better to just wait a bit to get under the covers with it. Lol

Jono keep up the good work and just post away and ignore the zealots. I know that is my attitude when testing new product.

Ron (Netherlands)

It puzzles me: why must we find it good work if some photog is working together with Leica advertising and praising its new products - imho it is nothing more than a commercial endeavour to get a market share. I - and I know I am not alone here - would rather have a more open minded atmosphere and comparable test of products than the halleluja's that are practically only allowed at the LUF site - and hopefully GETDPI won't become a second LUF in that way. Let me make one thing clear: blunt insulting must always be forbidden - but leave people making critical comments/you don't always have to respond to insulting comments leave alone going to fight against it - every one can value the different contributions: starting to aggressively defend what Leica is doing as a response is not the best approach imho (to the extent this is done at LUF makes me think that LUF is practically owned by Leica). And of course I know many don't come with 'proof' for their statements, but that is exactly what is going on at LUF and what we don't want: a kind of courtroom. My view is that Leica is loosing quite some people now who in the past enjoyed much of their digital products....leaving the competition at the winning end

Guy Mancuso

Lol . Well this site will never be like anyone else's. good , bad or indifferent. But I promise you this people can leave there crap attitude at the door because we won't put up with it. This site intention is too be friendly, helpful and open for good discussion to learn and share anything else is not welcome with members and owners of this site.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks have the day off but yes things have settled down some and I appreciate yours and everyone's concern and love. Some trying times but this family fights hard.