The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much of a seller's remorse would you get if you sold your Monochrom

dude163

If you want to sell it, Ill give you a grand for it, i heard its terrible for colour :)

Keep it, use it, and enjoy it, ...........so I can continue to live vicariously through you guys!

NB23

To me, that camera is bordering on a scam. In a blind test, one could never guess which is from a color sensor or from the monochom.

I wouldn't regret selling it.

mmbma

i think, beyond the fact that other cameras files can be converted to monochrom, is th that the MM gives you the MENTALITY to think in black and wihite. That is what I treasure, rather than image quality.

I am sure that future M's will deliver the same if not more pexiel counts. but making you think and compose in B&W?? only MM will do that

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
We ended up not doing the deal today to give him more time to think about if he could live with the imperfection; and I realized that it's probably a sign. I was on the fence and yesterday Jono's pictures from the M240 pushed me over. Now I think if it's probably a rushed decision.
It's a sign. One thing I've learned as I approach fifty is that gut feel is pretty darned accurate. Very accurate in fact.

I gave up my MM recently so that I could get a new tech camera lens. I WILL buy one though.

fotografz

To me, that camera is bordering on a scam. In a blind test, one could never guess which is from a color sensor or from the monochom.

Blind tests are actually bordering on being a scam ... as any marketing researcher will tell you, who you select to do the testing with determines the outcome. It all depends on the sophistication of the test subject in the given field being compared side-by-side. They do not select people with discriminating and refined palates for Coke verses Pepsi taste tests, or any other culinary comparison.

So, just because you, or even a majority of people, can't tell the difference, doesn't mean no one else can. Nor does it mean that a skilled photographer cannot produce excellent B&W results using a color digital camera ... however, there are differences.

The main difference is one of approach. Leica Ms are desired by some because the rangefinder way of making a photograph strips away distractions like DOF effect of focal length in the viewfinder, or distortion from wide lenses or effects of telephoto compression ... forcing a concentration on what an image is about over what it looks like. Stripping color from the creative decision process is just another shift from "looks like" verses what the photo is "about".

Doesn't matter if you buy that point-of-view, what matters is that others buy it, and therefore buy the camera for what it was designed to do for them. The B&W aesthetic needs no defending, it is well established and extremely long lived ... the MM is just an extension of that time proven photographic discipline so long dominated (and restricted) by B&W film.

If one doesn't "get that", then the MM camera isn't their cup of tea. Nothing wrong about that either ... different strokes for different folks.

-Marc

V

Vivek

It might very well be "bordering on a scam" because of the enhanced price (in reality, no considering there is no similar product out there for a full frame camera) but you have to be blind not to see the difference.

V

Vivek

Really a function of ones personal visual acuity....once you pass the third decade it is a bit of a guess...or stay below 35 and zone focus.

Bob
:ROTFL:

The good doctor has no idea. :ROTFL:

Paratom

It will probably have a much longer life span because of its uniqueness, and passionate following.

It's funny, I was meeting with another member from the forum today to sell my Mono, and he saw a single tiny scuff on the lens release button, probably a nail mark, that I did not notice. We ended up not doing the deal today to give him more time to think about if he could live with the imperfection; and I realized that it's probably a sign. I was on the fence and yesterday Jono's pictures from the M240 pushed me over. Now I think if it's probably a rushed decision.

I would honor my commitment if he decide to take it but if not, i will not try to sell it again.
As I said before I was on the fence too.
Overall I changed my opinion a bit from about the IQ. For X-Mas I printed some calenders with images from different cameras (5diii, OMD, S2, MM) with all good IQ - but those MM prints came out really impressive.
And I also find the IQ of higher ISO also unique. IMO many DSLR with good high ISO like Canon or Nikon still look ath higher iSO like there is some noise reduction in raw goin on.
I am not saying I could detect any MM shot from a b&w shot from another camera , but I believe the MM delivers excellent and biting IQ.

PeterA

"Bordering on a scam" - that is a very harsh statement.

If you have worked with a monochrome file and then tried to match an M9 colourfile by converting to B&W and still can't see the difference ?? - with all respect I think you could do with maybe a course in basic processing technique.

That ignores the obvious ISO advantages as well as tonality advantages you get from a non bayered chip....

The Monochrom in my books rates equal to the XPan as remarkable products for those who can appreciate how well they do what they do.

Of course it isn't an everything camera- the monochrom strugles with colour:)

iiiNelson

Doesnt the MM make good shots at ISO 10,000 the M9 cannot do that , lord knos my M8 cant, it only goes to ISO 2500!

OK here we go:

Red Dot Forum - ISO Test: Leica M Monochrom vs. Leica M9
Yeah I kinda think that guy is either a Leica Troll or a Leica conspiracy theorist... He kinda pulled this "it's all a scam thing" with the Leica M-E newspaper article. I think he needs attention or just wants to stir people up personally.

Shashin

You don't even own it.

Well, in a blind test, you could not tell the difference between a Monochrom and a chicken. You really need vision. The only problem with your hypothoses is that the Monochrom actually has a different spectral response from a color camera. Also, it will give cleaner files as the photosites are getting more light. While you might not be able to tell, which is really a lack of experience on your part, that does not mean others that actually have experience cannot.

GMB

The more I read here, the more I get the "not having bought remorse" :loco: There is, of course, a cure :D

NB23

You don't even own it.

Well, in a blind test, you could not tell the difference between a Monochrom and a chicken. You really need vision. The only problem with your hypothoses is that the Monochrom actually has a different spectral response from a color camera. Also, it will give cleaner files as the photosites are getting more light. While you might not be able to tell, which is really a lack of experience on your part, that does not mean others that actually have experience cannot.
Spending 7000$ on it might give me a super special subjective power to see how good it is. But since I don't own it, I can safely say that I'm objective a out it. Not subjective as you are, if you own one.

Until now, there's not one single image from all the "brag about your monochrom" threads that made me want one. I looked at over 3000 images and not even one made me go "wow, this monochrom is something special".

I don't believe that paying 7k$ just to have my BW mindset on is within the realm of normal thinking.

This being said, I was simply answering the OP: I'd nevdr regret selling that camera at a good price. Especially sknce the M10 is right around the corner. Yes, M10. Not M-twoforty.

Shashin

Spending 7000$ on it might give me a super special subjective power to see how good it is. But since I don't own it, I can safely say that I'm objective a out it. Not subjective as you are, if you own one.

Until now, there's not one single image from all the "brag about your monochrom" threads that made me want one. I looked at over 3000 images and not even one made me go "wow, this monochrom is something special".

I don't believe that paying 7k$ just to have my BW mindset on is within the realm of normal thinking.

This being said, I was simply answering the OP: I'd nevdr regret selling that camera at a good price. Especially sknce the M10 is right around the corner. Yes, M10. Not M-twoforty.
LOL. So lets see, you have taken a subjective way to evaluate a camera to make your opinion objective? But the trouble is you simply don't know. You have no experience and so you simply have the personal opinion of an armchair warrior. But you do have a chip on your shoulder, which naturally is very "objective."

Good luck with the M10.

mmbma

It's a sign. One thing I've learned as I approach fifty is that gut feel is pretty darned accurate. Very accurate in fact.

I gave up my MM recently so that I could get a new tech camera lens. I WILL buy one though.
Yes. I decided to keep it. I'll just work over time for two months to justify the decision

D&A

I think no one can really know how a person will respond to and use a specialized camera, such as the MM is. All they can do is relate their experieces with it (or possibly having worked with its files as I have done).

Nothing substitutes for using said equipment and see how it fits into your photographic style and vision over a period of time. Sometimes it's a revalation to use and enjoy, sometimes an interesting fun and useful tool in the bag (so to speak) but as time goes on, not used as much as expected...and sometimes it ends up not being what one originally envisioned and how it would relate to elevating the quality and style of their photographic images. If the latter of these experiences ends up being the case, it will be apparent at that time that it may be wise to divest of the camera, without it possibly devaluing and maybe move onto something else. If it turns out to be an indespensable tool and something you cannot image being without, then you know you made the right choice.

Until then, its hard for anyone to know how you'll eventually feel...but can only take a educated guess based on their own perceptions and experiences.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

NB23

LOL. So lets see, you have taken a subjective way to evaluate a camera to make your opinion objective? But the trouble is you simply don't know. You have no experience and so you simply have the personal opinion of an armchair warrior. But you do have a chip on your shoulder, which naturally is very "objective."

Good luck with the M10.
How else am I supposed to be interested if not by looking at the forums and pictures?

Please don't waste your energy trying to convert me.
This is a problem in these internet days: every product owner becomes a virtual salesman for the company, in various forums. Like some people here trying to make me realize how good it is.

Your "armchair" allegations just show how empty and funny your atracks are. If you knew who I am, who I work for and where my work goes and how much it sells for, you'd be asking me for help instead of being busy protecting your purchase in a cool way in front of virtual friends.

And what's the so big deal if I don't "see" the value in the monochrom? Why do you have the need to protect it so much??

Shashin

How else am I supposed to be interested if not by looking at the forums and pictures?

Please don't waste your energy trying to convert me.
This is a problem in these internet days: every product owner becomes a virtual salesman for the company, in various forums. Like some people here trying to make me realize how good it is.

Your "armchair" allegations just show how empty and funny your atracks are. If you knew who I am, who I work for and where my work goes and how much it sells for, you'd be asking me for help instead of being busy protecting your purchase in a cool way in front of virtual friends.

And what's the so big deal if I don't "see" the value in the monochrom? Why do you have the need to protect it so much??
Chill man, I am just messing with you. I really don't think much about your opinion at all. Naturally, the OP wanted feedback from those with experience, but a guy like you doesn't need to be encumbered by facts.

BTW, I don't own a Leica, never mind a Monochrom. And I am happy to bumble through life without the wealth of your experience--I really don't care to know who you are. I think I have a pretty good idea about your character from your enlightening posts.