The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much of a seller's remorse would you get if you sold your Monochrom

mmbma

Lovely camera. Limted camera Expensive camera.

Keep it? as it probably be the only digital camera that can retain its value? For that purity of B&W pursuit?

Or sell it, buy a new M240, which is probably as capable plus the colors, but it will be another mass produced camera that'll half in value in 2 years?

V

Vivek

If you like to shoot in monochrome, if you like monochrome images, keep it and use it until it breaks down to be worthless in the used market.

If you do not like monochrome sell it immediately for whatever price you can get.

If you want to invest, perhaps look at gold or platinum. With finite reserves and ever increasing demand, they will keep their value.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Keep the Mono.

Color? Look at the RX-1 ... I know limited at 35 but what a lens and sensor.

18 months from now add a M240....

Lenses hold value...bodies less so.

Vivek has a point ... if you value your photography and skills....burn up the camera ... memories are neither cheap nor infinite ... when you look back it is nice to remember the sun, wind, smells and all the little elements that a photograph can evoke from our memory.

The more you shoot the less you need a camera to see....

JMHO.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Realized I did not answer your question....

I would give up my S2-P before my Mono....just how I see the world I guess.

Now if they came up with a S-Mono...

Bob

Jeff S

The more you shoot the less you need a camera to see....
Yes, for many, but another possible goal is to allow others to see and experience what you see, via the print. Still others shoot for the pleasure of shooting, and don't care if they or others see the photograph (Vivian Maier, for instance). Different strokes.

Getting back to the OP's initial question, which seems a riddle: one doesn't feel remorse until after the fact, which makes answering the question in advance an impossibility. Beyond that, anyone who buys a camera as an investment has other issues IMHO.

Jeff

Paratom

I was close to sell my MM because I like both - b/w and color.
But for some reason I find the camera special and even though I didnt shoot it that much I got some images I really like. And I enjoy using it a lot.
So right now I will keep it.

jstaben

Keep it? as it probably be the only digital camera that can retain its value? For that purity of B&W pursuit?

Or sell it, buy a new M240, which is probably as capable plus the colors, but it will be another mass produced camera that'll half in value in 2 years?
Ummmm....you think it will retain it's value in 3 years? It will drop like a rock as soon as an update is released, even ANNOUNCED. If it's successful, Leica will release an update. Don't buy or keep a camera body pretending it's going to hold it's value. Look at values of the M9. Sold for $7k. Up to about summer and fall of 2011 they sold for close or more than $6k used. Now they go for $4k used. That will happen to the MM.

mmbma

It will probably have a much longer life span because of its uniqueness, and passionate following.

It's funny, I was meeting with another member from the forum today to sell my Mono, and he saw a single tiny scuff on the lens release button, probably a nail mark, that I did not notice. We ended up not doing the deal today to give him more time to think about if he could live with the imperfection; and I realized that it's probably a sign. I was on the fence and yesterday Jono's pictures from the M240 pushed me over. Now I think if it's probably a rushed decision.

I would honor my commitment if he decide to take it but if not, i will not try to sell it again.

Ummmm....you think it will retain it's value in 3 years? It will drop like a rock as soon as an update is released, even ANNOUNCED. If it's successful, Leica will release an update. Don't buy or keep a camera body pretending it's going to hold it's value. Look at values of the M9. Sold for $7k. Up to about summer and fall of 2011 they sold for close or more than $6k used. Now they go for $4k used. That will happen to the MM.

jstaben

It will probably have a much longer life span because of its uniqueness, and passionate following.

It's funny, I was meeting with another member from the forum today to sell my Mono, and he saw a single tiny scuff on the lens release button, probably a nail mark, that I did not notice. We ended up not doing the deal today to give him more time to think about if he could live with the imperfection; and I realized that it's probably a sign. I was on the fence and yesterday Jono's pictures from the M240 pushed me over. Now I think if it's probably a rushed decision.

I would honor my commitment if he decide to take it but if not, i will not try to sell it again.
Funny story on the nail mark....Leica users are a very picky bunch and most want to look at or baby their cameras more than use them.

As far as life span, we don't have any idea bout what Leica may do. If they release a Monochrom M type 240 it's going to drop the prices on the MM fast.

jonoslack

hi There
I think the question is really Do I Shoot Colour? If the answer is NO, then the monochrom is really a no-brainer, if the answer is YES then it's more complex.
Personally, I like to shoot both, and I like to carry two bodies - one with a wide, one with a mid or gentle telephoto. With the monochrom I was beginning to think I needed four bodies!

V

Vivek

I think the MM is the best digital RF that Leica ever produced (that includes the "M").

I still would love to have a compact/lightweight and more versatile monochrome camera in a Sony NEX.

Still...I am on track to acquire an MM, despite it being RF crippled. :p

Well, it would be nice to have a spare. I doubt even the ones who really dance with an MM can even afford to think in those lines (or even the very well to do Leica nut would).

Godfrey

The only value a camera has beyond nostalgia and the camera collecting hobby is whether it gets used and makes the photos you want to make. Constantly looking for something better while worrying about the money involved means to me that you're distracted from the goal at hand, which is to make photographs.

"Equipment often gets in the way of Photography."

G

That's a wicked trap to fall into. My interpretation is like asking should I sell my hammer and buy a saw, because I need(want) a saw, but I'm afraid saw's wear out and lose value quicker than hammers.

I'd say look at what you need first, then determine how important it is to you, then you'll know how much you want to spend (not invest, unless you're making money from photography). Then when you scratch your pride and joy (as inevitably it'll happen if you carry it around all the time) you'll feel OK, because it's more yours then than it ever was before.

My tuppence worth

ashwinrao1

THe MM really, totally, sings for me...I have learned much from it, and suspect I have much more growth for it to inspire within me. It's become my favorite M body, period...M9 is fantastic too, and I have yet to touch the M240....

But the MM allows an expanded creative freedom within the BW realm...a liberating experience on all accounts..

PeterA

In many ways the monochrome makes little sense - until you see the files this baby delivers. I am enjoying the choice of a made for B&W file camera - like I enjoy the cameras I use with B&W film - sans all the hassle of development and scanning, plus the benefits of the delightful and peerless Leica lenses in front.

The only negative experience I have had is having to use Lightroom for my DAM procedures instead of Aperture - which is troubling me because it represents a discontinuity. Nothing wrong with Lightroom btw - and lot going for it as well - but still I prefer Aperture for my digital asset management routine.

I am happy to sell my S2 or any number of other cameras - well before the monochrome.

segedi

Hmm... been waiting more than 3 months for mine. And also have the M on pre-order. Considering canceling the M pre-order. Pre-buyers remorse on that.

If you can swing the cost, which is substantial, I'd say keep the Monochrom.