The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much of a buyer's remorse would you get if you bought a Monochrom?

jstaben

Well I thought I would post this thread since there was a seller's remorse thread recently here in the forums!

I have an M9 but mainly find myself converting to B&W with it and I enjoy looking at and appreciating B&W photography more than color, especially in print. I had a large amount of "gift credit" on Amazon (yes, quite a bit) and was looking for ways to spend it. I happened to find a Monochrom there last night and pulled the trigger. I enjoy low light photography and the high ISO of the MM looks spectacular. Whether I *need* it or not isn't the question, but:

Anyone else buy one and regret it?

NB23

I'd be happy with any price equal or less then a used MP. But I'm sure i would't be using it as much as my MPs, still.

That's just me.

V

Vivek

Well I thought I would post this thread since there was a seller's remorse thread recently here in the forums!

I have an M9 but mainly find myself converting to B&W with it and I enjoy looking at and appreciating B&W photography more than color, especially in print. I had a large amount of "gift credit" on Amazon (yes, quite a bit) and was looking for ways to spend it. I happened to find a Monochrom there last night and pulled the trigger. I enjoy low light photography and the high ISO of the MM looks spectacular. Whether I *need* it or not isn't the question, but:

Anyone else buy one and regret it?
Congrats!

As for me, I would regret it deeply if i had accumulated any Amazon credit!

(don't take it the wrong way. My spending habits are different that is all)

jstaben

Congrats!

As for me, I would regret it deeply if i had accumulated any Amazon credit!

(don't take it the wrong way. My spending habits are different that is all)
Well the amazon credit was kind of a small detail I just happened to see a Monochrom on there and there has not been one on the site before. I'm going to give it a spin and if it's not for me sell it to someone for a small savings off a new model. Kind of a rental with an opportunity to "buy" so to speak, but already paid for!

V

Vivek

Not to add to your expenses...

To see the full potential of the outputs, you really need a good monitor-EIZO or Quato.

Any other run of the mill monitors would not make any sense.

douglasf13

Not to add to your expenses...

To see the full potential of the outputs, you really need a good monitor-EIZO or Quato.

Any other run of the mill monitors would not make any sense.
One can surely see the difference between the M9 and MM on a run of the mill monitor. Either way, prints will surely be different, and the OP mentioned that he prints.

jstaben

I do print (Epson 3880) and have a 15" Macbook with Retina display. So far the wife has not allowed a big monitor for photo editing so I have been making do with what I can...

V

Vivek

One can surely see the difference between the M9 and MM on a run of the mill monitor. Either way, prints will surely be different, and the OP mentioned that he prints.
I mentioned that because quite a few who post inthe monochrome thread appear to have images optimized for an iPad. A lot of deep grays and blacks are completely gone. But they do look OK on an iPad though.

jstaben

I definitely shoot my cameras not look at them. I don't worry too much about minor scuffs and the like although I do take care of my equipment. I very much think gear is meant to be used not looked at.

Digital bodies IMHO make no sense to baby they will depreciate regardless and why not use them rather than let the next guy enjoy a pristine camera! I've never understood covering things just to make them look pretty underneath and never using them as intended...

The only things to regret after buying a monochrome are:
1. Having only modern lenses and realising it's wonderful with older lenses
2. Dropping it
3. Scratching it
4. Being parted from it unexpectedly
5. Losing everything and having to choose between selling it or feeding your children

edwardkaraa

For those who like to shoot mainly b/w the Monochrom is a no brainer in my opinion. I shoot mainly in color, so I didn't really consider it.

Double Negative

Not Available
Jstaben, I was only making a point - and I agree with you completely. Cameras are for shooting, not gawking at. :)

For those who like to shoot mainly b/w the Monochrom is a no brainer in my opinion. I shoot mainly in color, so I didn't really consider it.
Unfortunately, this is the position I'm in. I loooove B&W, but shoot mostly in color. The B&W I do shoot, I still do with film (or convert digital). So I couldn't really justify it... As much as I want to!

If they stop making B&W film - then all bets are off!

airfrogusmc

I print to and on the high ISO images which is most of my street work I see a big difference in the print.

I bought the MM for my personal work and after my experiences with it I plan to completely switch over to Leica over the next few years from Canon. I really hate the direction the big two have been moving in. Applaud Leica for their moves with both the MM and the M-E which is the one I will really be interested in if they make one with the CMOS sensor. I had a friends M9 for a couple weeks right after my 35 lux came in and fell in love with both the lens and the M9. If it were only better in low light but I might get one or a current M-E and if the come out with a new M-E so I will then have 2 color cameras for my professional work and my MM for my personal work and some of my commercial work that requires B&W.

airfrogusmc

Jstaben, I was only making a point - and I agree with you completely. Cameras are for shooting, not gawking at. :)

Unfortunately, this is the position I'm in. I loooove B&W, but shoot mostly in color. The B&W I do shoot, I still do with film (or convert digital). So I couldn't really justify it... As much as I want to!

If they stop making B&W film - then all bets are off!
If I still had a darkroom I would still be shooting B&W film. I downsized some years back and had to get rid of the darkroom and the 3 500 C/Ms I had :scry:

Double Negative

Not Available
If I still had a darkroom I would still be shooting B&W film. I downsized some years back and had to get rid of the darkroom and the 3 500 C/Ms I had :scry:
Yeah, no doubt. The darkroom is at least half the fun. Sadly after I tore mine down it's been replaced with digital - scanning negatives and printing. Though I still develop the film at least. That doesn't take much room nor time.

Ironic, I picked up a 503CW a couple of years ago precisely because everyone was dumping them - and I was getting back INTO film. :)

airfrogusmc

Yeah, no doubt. The darkroom is at least half the fun. Sadly after I tore mine down it's been replaced with digital - scanning negatives and printing. Though I still develop the film at least. That doesn't take much room nor time.

Ironic, I picked up a 503CW a couple of years ago precisely because everyone was dumping them - and I was getting back INTO film. :)
Maybe the future holds an 8X10 Deardorff or maybe an SWC but those don't come cheap. I almost picked up a Rolleiflex a couple of years back. Might still.

But in the mean time i am so love'n the MM and I'm definitely moving to Leica M over the next few years and the new M was the clincher. Maybe one of those or maybe if it happens a new M-E with a CMOS and a present day M-E or M9 for back up but the MM is my choice when shooting digital B&W.

V

Vivek

Let me put it this way- after only 2 days of using it, say it gets destroyed somehow tomorrow and I can't claim a penny for it, I will look for another body.

Even otherwise, i would look for another body. ;)

jstaben

Let me put it this way- after only 2 days of using it, say it gets destroyed somehow tomorrow and I can't claim a penny for it, I will look for another body.

Even otherwise, i would look for another body. ;)
It's kind of like having a baby...you don't know how much you will love it until you hold it yourself! :D