The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m9 shooting gloves in cold

Double Negative

Not Available
I use the cheap gardener's gloves with the silicone dots on them (for grip) and cut off the tips on the thumb and pointing (shutter) finger. Same as so-called "photographer's gloves" at half the price. They look a lil' like this:

Shashin

I went you an outdoor store and got thin stretch gloves. Protects the fingers, but you can feel through them.

baudolino

I went you an outdoor store and got thin stretch gloves. Protects the fingers, but you can feel through them.
I do the same and wear my thick skiing gloves over them, when out on the piste. Take off the thick gloves and stay in the thin ones when I take my camera out of the bag.

ramosa

I have used thinsolate gloves, which are quite thin and intended to go under an external glove. I only use them if I really can't stand the cold on bare hands, though.

Double Negative

Not Available
Mechanic's gloves work well too - check local hardware stores (e.g. Home Depot, Lowes) and auto parts stores; also Harbor Freight Tools.

algrove

I have used Franklin gloves for some years. The US military uses them too. They are thin so not for minus 30 degree weather, but thin enough to be able to work all controls. They had a leather insert which wears well and grips nicely. When below zero I put cashmere gloves over them.

Last edited:

D&A

LOL...when I read the title of this thread..I thought the OP wa asking how to "shoot" gloves in the cold (weather). Shows how awake I am at the moment...LOL!

After though reading the replies, I gathered some very helpful suggestions.

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Now those are the right way to go!

I was looking for something similar at REI while I had some time to kill a couple of weeks ago; no luck. Will check online.

Stuart Richardson

A thread after my own heart! I am always on the lookout, because we need gloves about 9 months of the year here. Generally it does not get too far below freezing, but much of the year it is right around freezing or not much above, so good gloves are important. In weather down to around freezing, a good pair of high quality leather gloves with wool or cashmere lining will do very well, but only if it is dry. Water will ruin them. Brooks Brother's made some nice ones, but they are now extremely expensive, and even the small is fairly big (I have an 8 glove...not big hands and the most recent pair of smalls was too big for me...previous pairs had been fine.). Lambskin Cashmere Lined Gloves - Brooks Brothers

Recently I got a pair of these, and they are quite good. I had a friend tailor them a bit to shorten some of the fingers (it was very easy with a sewing machine and a pair of scissors...there is no lining and it is all very straightforward. Of course, this is not necessary, but great for a perfect fit). Men's Flurry Gloves | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure
They are cheap, warm in moderate conditions, and they are very maneuverable with grippy fingertips.

Another very good pair I found recently were these: Men's TOOL WINDSTOPPER® Soft Shell Gloves | GORE BIKE WEAR®
They are made by the company that makes Gore-Tex. They are winter biking gloves, which generally make good camera gloves, as they need to be dextrous enough to manipulate brakes and shifters, but still need to be windproof and warm. These ones do the trick quite well and they have a good range of sizing. The palms and fingers are very grippy. They are not quite as discreet as some gloves, given the (ugly in my opinion) palm pattern and the reflective branding, but for outdoorsy work, they are fine. For city shooting, I would tend to opt for the leather gloves or outdoor research ones.

In weather much below freezing, I have not really found any gloves that are warm enough, but still capable of working with an M9. For quite cold weather, I go to these...thinsulate lined fingerless gloves with a flip over mitten:
Norwegian Flip Tops The downside to these is that in order to change certain settings, you need to flip the top over, and then expose your fingers to the freezing weather. You could get glove liners, of course.

For really REALLY cold weather, I stick to the S2 with huge ski mittens...the great thing about the S2 is that you can use it easily in mittens...all you need is your thumb, and the shutter button is responsive to a finger inside a mitten.

P.S. Brad -- I am surprised you got away with fingerless gloves here! Were you here in the summer? Usually the wind will freeze your fingers up within a few minutes if you get a brisk day!

rscheffler

Been using these from Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) here in Canada. Currently only $25 and they're about the best I've found for being thin, decent cold weather performance, and ability to adequately handle and manipulate camera gear. The silicone pattern on the fingers and palm is great for keeping a good grip on gear when changing lenses, etc. The windstopper fabric makes enough of a difference that they're pretty good in moderately freezing conditions, but your fingers will get cold, as I experienced during 'snowmageddon' a few weeks ago, if subjected to 50+ km/h winds for extended periods of time. :) About the only thing that is troublesome with these gloves is getting the M9's baseplate release pried up, but it can be done. I also find the fingertips tend to wear fairly quickly, at least thumb and index (pointer) finger. They'd be even better if they were waterproof, but for $25, I can live with it.