The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lens shipping cost for Leitax conversion

sc_john

I am considering sending a Leica R 80-200 f/4 ROM to Leitax for conversion to a Nikon F mount. Reason for sending to Leitax vs buying adapter and doing conversion myself is that ROM cable has to be cut if I do it myself, while it is not cut and conversion is completely reversible if done by Leitax. While I like the idea of completely reversible if done by Leitax, the cost of shipping from USA to Europe and back seems to overwhelm any economic benifit of complete reversibility of conversion. My check of rates for shipping to/from Europe is about $280-$300 each way :bugeyes: ( via UPS including insurance). For those of you in USA who have sent lenses to Leitax (or Solms), is this shipping cost correct. If too high, how have you shipped and what should cost be? Thanks in advance for any help.

John

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Been dealing with exactly this problem on a few R lenses . DAG is handling a Leitax conversion and shaving the 19/2.8 for me . I would try him first .

Sending Leica gear back to Solms ..I use my Leica dealer that does this routinely and has corporate rates .

If I sent it myself I would use the USPS and just take the risk on inadequate insurance . I know that the Leitax team will not charge anywhere near $300 on the return . Did you ask them .

sc_john

Roger,

Thanks for the input on DAG. I will definitely contact them. Regarding getting shipping cost from Leitax, no I did not ask them. I got info from UPS site. I will see what DAG has to say before going further with Leitax.

Worst case, I will get the Leitax adapter and do the conversion myself. While I will lose ROM even if I revert to back to R mount, I am not sure how much difference that makes. Other than using on D800e, the only other use I would anticipate is Meica M-240. Neither 800e or M-240 utilize ROM contacts.

Thanks again.

John

monza

If you ship to Europe, I'd recommend USPS Express mail, or Global Express Guaranteed (which is simply Fedex resold by USPS.) These are usually a lot cheaper.

I have done many Leitax conversions although not with ROM lenses, it shouldn't be that difficult...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The ROM s are even easier than the 3Cam but the 80-200 is a special case . I have also found the 6 screw lenses way easier than the 10 screw lenses. If you do a 10 screw note that those long screws hold the lens together . Its easy for the alignment to move . The trick is us a long screw and rotate until you get one aligned . Not sure I will do another 10 screw lens ..had trouble with the 100APO and the 19/2.8 .

I also went to the chipped version and the newest chip from Leitax allows you to program in the lens length and aperture for EXIF and also create a custom adjustment to the focus confirmation (for the specific lens .its only been a global adjustment on the D800E thru the Nikon menu ).

I shipped my D800E to DAG so that he could check his work . Now thats painful .

sc_john

The ROM s are even easier than the 3Cam but the 80-200 is a special case . I have also found the 6 screw lenses way easier than the 10 screw lenses. If you do a 10 screw note that those long screws hold the lens together . Its easy for the alignment to move . The trick is us a long screw and rotate until you get one aligned . Not sure I will do another 10 screw lens ..had trouble with the 100APO and the 19/2.8 .

I also went to the chipped version and the newest chip from Leitax allows you to program in the lens length and aperture for EXIF and also create a custom adjustment to the focus confirmation (for the specific lens .its only been a global adjustment on the D800E thru the Nikon menu ).

I shipped my D800E to DAG so that he could check his work . Now thats painful .
The 80-200/4 ROM is a 6 screw mount, so Leitax's standard adapter will work. I will look the newest chip.

Thanks,

John

sc_john

If you ship to Europe, I'd recommend USPS Express mail, or Global Express Guaranteed (which is simply Fedex resold by USPS.) These are usually a lot cheaper.

I have done many Leitax conversions although not with ROM lenses, it shouldn't be that difficult...
Monza,

Thanks. It looks as though I will purchase the adapter and have it sent to USA... 10 Euro shipping and handling as I recall. Then, I will send it to DAH along with the lens for installation. But, if that changes, I'll certainly check USPS.

John