The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Places to shoot in Houston? recommendations please

mmbma

Hi

I'm heading over to Houston for the weekend. Any recommendations on spots for street and landscape shots? Especially places that are known for Texas culture.

Food/used camera store recommendations also welcome.

thanks!

MM

iiiNelson

Downtown is always a great place to walk around for street shots. The Galleria area would be a good place too but it tends to be super busy and not the most pedestrian friendly area. Houston Camera Exchange is in the Galleria area and an official Leica dealer. They tend to have really good stuff (new/ used) and I try to stop by to see what they have when I'm in town. As for landscape... Well Houston is pretty flat but there are skyscrapers in downtown, uptown, and midtown. Some may be photographer friendly still. Transco Tower (I forgot what they renamed it) used to be a great place to capture the downtown skyline and its in the Galleria area (Uptown.)

I would gather that there will be a ridiculous amount of people there in addition to the nearly 5 million people in the greater Houston area. As for food there all kinds of places... Just depends on what you have a taste for. Pretty much every culture is represented there in some form of another as you'd expect from such a large city.

iiiNelson

Oh and I'm a Houston native but no longer live there. I grew up there though so as far as food if you figure out what you have a taste for or like I can probably point you in the right direction. The food is great though. Probably one of the reasons it's always in the top 10 for "fattest" cities.

tomh

Hi

I'm heading over to Houston for the weekend. Any recommendations on spots for street and landscape shots? Especially places that are known for Texas culture.

Food/used camera store recommendations also welcome.

thanks!

MM
Houston is an oil town and midtown high rise buildings on Louisiana Street are an impressive show of wealth. I also found interesting scenes on the Rice campus.

Downtown restaurants have world class cuisine. I liked Ibiza, which is up Louisiana street from the midtown office buildings.

iiiNelson

Yeah how could I forget about Rice Village... It's been way too long since I've lived in Houston. Lots of good restaurants, shopping, and culture there. If you like cigars or pipes The Briar Shoppe is a great place to go as well in Rice Village.

iiiNelson

I'd fathom the medical center would be another good place for street and its in the same area (north of the football stadiums) as Rice University/ Village.

Moonshine

I'd second that ^. Downtown and the Rice campus.
As for food there are very good restaurants serving all kinds of cuisine downtown. The Rice Village area also has good restaurants.
I particularly like Nit Noi which is Thai.

Good luck on your trip and photography!
P.S : it's been pretty rainy here :(

ramosa

I have done a fair amount of street shooting in Houston in recent years. It's OK (but I actually much prefer Austin for such). Downtown Houston has some decent structures and light, but no matter when I'm there, a high percent of the pedestrians are homeless. For me, that type of street photography gets old quickly. Rice Village and the Galleria don't have what I look for in terms of structure, light, and pedestrian traffic. The best IMO would be downtown ...

Last edited:

mmbma

Thanks for everyone's input. Just arrived and beautiful weather.
I am staying in the downtown area so I'll be sure to walk around tonight. Monochrom plus canon 0.95 should make some interesting night shots. WIll post.

How far is rice village from Downtown?

ramosa

You could take the Metro from downtown to Rice University (several stops, 10-15 minutes max). And then you could wander across campus to Rice Village. The campus is beautiful, with some fine architecture. (The Metro's reach is quite limited, but IMO it's very good within the covered areas).

eleanorbrown

Check out my Downtown Houston and Beyond the Forest portfolios on my site to get some ideas....also Foresr Walks. Camera Exchange is the best camera store located on Richmond avenue near the Galleria. Eleanor