The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New M Delayed Until May

edwardkaraa

I am not a Leica apologetic but I tend to be a stoic and pragmatic person. I use my existing equipment and my interest in new announcements is only of scientific curiosity rather than lust and desire. I will buy a product only when it has been tested and prooved and refined, towards the middle of its life cycle. I bought my brand new M9 only in last September and it has been working flawlessly (except for an issue with a Sandisk card). I don't care when Leica releases the M 240 and when it will be widely available. I will buy one when I feel it is a mature product which can be next month or next year or never. I do not understand why people get so emotional about new products. It's as if Leica has an obligation of some sort. Some on another forum described the delay as adding insult to injury. Go figure.

I want my M 240, and I want it NOW!!!! :ROTFL:

Godfrey

As I said above, no win.
And no patience.
And a fatalistic expectation of problems. No matter what.

You make looking forward to a new camera from Leica into a dreary thing.

G

BANKER1

Bad business is just that, bad business. From the time I ordered my H4D60 until it was delivered nine months passed. Nothing from Hasselblad, no apologies, no word of any kind. My dealer, Hassy reps, no one could tell me anything until the week I got the camera. New cameras are all alike; vaporware. It is understandable that Hasselblad announced vaporware. They were trying to stall off the rush to Phase One with the early announcement of the H3DII60/H4D60. Leica has no excuse since they are the only game in town. I know, I know there are alternatives, but Leicafiles are loyal to the point they give a pass to the company when they falter. Looks now like I'll be waiting the same amount of time (nine months) for the new M. At least Leica did not come up with something as goofy as the Lunar. And the H4D60 came without issues or bugs. It worked flawlessly from day one.

Greg

monza

As I said above, no win.
And no patience.
And a fatalistic expectation of problems. No matter what.
The clock began at Photokina by their own choice. They didn't have to announce prematurely. Patience isn't a factor when the announcement is done at the proper time. Instead, it could have been feverish anticipation! If I were a stock holder I'd far prefer the latter, instead of threads notifying of delays.

As far as a fatalistic expectation, one uses history as a guide.

Will two months make a difference, in the long term? Of course not. They will ship the camera at the same time they always would have; it's just the announce date that creates the problem. And the small blow of the reputation and brand. The only way to overcome negative recent history is by performance.

Leica also should firm up their NDAs, and stop giving out pre-release products to the unqualified. ;)

algrove

Since the M-E's are not flying off the shelves of the Leica dealer closest to me, but the M9/M9P are flying off their used shelves (8 in one month), it seems this delay can maybe help Leica rid some stocks of the M-E.

Maggie O

Since the M-E's are not flying off the shelves of the Leica dealer closest to me, but the M9/M9P are flying off their used shelves (8 in one month), it seems this delay can maybe help Leica rid some stocks of the M-E.
I bought my M9-P with the idea that the M 240 wouldn't really be available until August of this year. I can't say that I'm even slightly surprised. I'm hoping the 240 will be worth the wait.

Paratom

For me it is more important how good the final product works than the question if it comes to market some weeks (or even months) earlier or later.
But I am also a Leica (and Canon and Zeiss and Olympus and Linhof) Fanboy.

Godfrey

Anybody know where I can get a new black M9P? I don't know whether to :ROTFL: or :cry:
Don't know about a new one, but Tamarkin.com is listing a mint black M9-P for sale, in box with (short) warranty, for $5995. I have nothing but good things to say about Dan Tamarkin and his store. I bought my black M9 from him as a Leica USA demo, certified and refurbished. It was (and is) perfect.

I'm sure the new M will be a fine camera, and it will be in the stores likely long before I'm planning to buy one. Beyond that, I'm outta this thread. Too much negativity and consumer expectation anxiety being expressed for my taste. :-\

G

jonoslack

The clock began at Photokina by their own choice.
Hi Robert. I think the thing about Photokina was that they had already committed to take the big hall for the exhibition. Seemed logical to announce the camera. I'm not sure it's done any harm.

It's also worth noting that a short time ago people were saying that the 50 cron was delayed for a year. A month later it was shipping.

Nobody's told me that it's been delayed until May. Last I heard it was being delayed for a week (but I realise I know nothing :)

All the best

monza

Indeed. First, let's see if this report is accurate. Nothing against DN and his blog, but it would be nice to get some kind of independent verification. I intend to do so Monday...although it may not result in any info of value.

Been in the position before of trying to get a product developed prior to a show...unfortunately engineering never seemed to cooperate with the calendar. :)

edwardkaraa

Well, the 50AA has been delayed, the Zeiss 55/1.4 has been delayed, there is no mention of the wide aperture ZM lenses promised to be released in 2013. Plenty of products from all manufacturers are delayed. I don't see anyone going nuts except over the Leica M. It must really be very successful :D

Double Negative

Not Available
Indeed. First, let's see if this report is accurate. Nothing against DN and his blog, but it would be nice to get some kind of independent verification. I intend to do so Monday...although it may not result in any info of value...
No worries. Let me know what you find out and I'll update the story. ;)

monza

For what it's worth:

'Roger [Horn] sent a memo last week stating that the M camera will be delivered "early in 2013". This is the only info I have and any information on the Internet is just speculation.

Naturally we are all anxious to get the M camera and I will update you on any official announcements as soon as I get them. Thanks for your interest in getting the real info.'

BANKER1

Has all this fuss been caused by B&H moving the "expected availability" to April? If so, it may be that B&H has been told by Leica the number of M's they will be receiving in the first two months, and from their waiting list, know that it will be at least April before they can expect to deliver new orders.

Greg

D

dalfrednix

Bad business is just that, bad business. From the time I ordered my H4D60 until it was delivered nine months passed. Nothing from Hasselblad, no apologies, no word of any kind. My dealer, Hassy reps, no one could tell me anything until the week I got the camera. New cameras are all alike; vaporware. It is understandable that Hasselblad announced vaporware. They were trying to stall off the rush to Phase One with the early announcement of the H3DII60/H4D60. Leica has no excuse since they are the only game in town. I know, I know there are alternatives, but Leicafiles are loyal to the point they give a pass to the company when they falter. Looks now like I'll be waiting the same amount of time (nine months) for the new M. At least Leica did not come up with something as goofy as the Lunar. And the H4D60 came without issues or bugs. It worked flawlessly from day one.

Greg
Boy, do I, as a business owner agree with you. Leica needs competition and if such existed there would be fewer delays of shorter duration. I don't understand the apologetic attitude of the majority of Leica owners. I don't have a Leica camera, but I'm first on a preorder list for the new M. These delays erode my confidence that I will recieve a quality product; after all I will be spending $7000!!