The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Elmarit-M 90 mm f/2.8 6-bit coded lens

I managed to accidentally scratch the front element of my*Leica Elmarit-M 90 mm f/2.8 6-bit coded lens, Serial #3521137. *I contacted Leica and they no longer have that lens element available for replacement. *Attached is a photo of the lens & scratch. Does anyone have any suggestions for repairing this scratch? Perhaps buy an identical lens with a pristine front element and swap the front glass?*Any suggestions or thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mark Weidman

arild

The obvious question would be; does it have an effect on your images?
I'd imagine flare could become an issue, but I've heard from several people that you can fix it with black paint in the scratch. Probably best to let a professional deal with it.

Sorry I couldn't be of any further assistance. Your lens does have a hanfsome battle scar, either way. :)

ramosa

I have this lens and really like it, too. I'm so paranoid that I always use a filter. Of course, that's no help now. As suggested, I would test it in varied lighting conditions to see if the scratches affects anything. If it does have an effect, you may want to contact the known Leica repair folks (e.g., Sherry, DAG) to see if they have any ideas or, by (small) chance, may have this front element from a lens that was irreparable. Good luck. I'm sure something will work out.

Without pooh-pooing the very substantial regret one would feel to get a nice lens damaged (I´d be crying myself...), since the damage is there, take a black marker pen, or even some black enamel paint (the type sold to model builders), and fill out the scratch with a very fine brush. It won´t look any prettier, but you´ll minimize the risk for additional flaring stray light from the irregular surface of the scratch itself.

So, the pics you use the lens for should be of the same quality as those from an undamaged lens, and after all, lenses are for using...

Edit: missed Arild´s post before writing. Sorry...

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

I have no experience with Leica lenses, but most scratches are usually very superficial, as the coatings are very hard. It would be possible to polish the scratch area to reduce the depth to make it almost invisible.

wuffstuff

I have polished a Nikon lens with a similar scratch using 'Brasso'.

It took some time to complete (but only whilst sitting watching TV) but it was impossible to tell from the images produced that it ever had a scratch.

charlesphoto

I wouldn't worry about it too much. But yeah, test it under different conditions and f-stops to see the results. Buying the same lens and swapping the front element makes no sense unless you have money to burn. Best to sell at a loss if it really bothers you and get the same lens again. For the right price you'll have no problem finding a buyer (possibly yours truly :) ).

ced

Wonder if it can be filled like they do on car windshields to prevent a chip or crack from spreading without damaging the surrounding area and coating.
Worse case use it and unless the light comes in at extreme angles it will probably be okay.
Though the horse has bolted put on a filter and always use the lens shade.

ced

Just looked again at the lens and note that the scratch is quite a way off centre so even better reason that it won't create problems in the image.

I plan to sell this 90mm Elmarit lens. The scratch does not appear to affect image quality, but I can't live with the scratch. If anyone is interested, please contact me for details. And, I am actively looking to buy a new 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit lens (German made). Any leads would be appreciated. I have identified one on eBay and am waiting to hear back from the Seller. Thank you. Mark Weidman

ramosa

Mark: Post it on "Gear FS or WTB" ... and I'm sure you'll quickly find a buyer (as long as you price it properly for having a scratched element).