The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono Slack's piece on the M(240)

jonoslack

Wonderful photographs, Jono. Genuinely useful and enoyable write-up as well. The new M sounds like a camera I'd love to have, but beyond my budget (at least for a manual focus camera). On a related note, my brother gifted me a beautiful M6 today, my first Leica M, which I'm looking forward to using.
Hi Amin
Lovely to hear from you, and thanks for looking.
Emma and I gave Silas a lovely M6 for his 30th birthday. Now he's sold a whole Pentax system to buy a summicron 35. It's a dangerous and slippery slope you're teetering on!

All the best

jonoslack

I'm sure Jono will comment, but I seem to recall reading that when the Leica mount adapter is used, the M body provides a range of R lens codes to use. Whether it has enough info to set a lens code automatically ... Jono? :)
Hi Godfrey.
It doesn't set it automatically, but it does remember the last lens you used (in all modes)

wstam

Hi Jono,

Thank you for the good write-up. I enjoy reading it. Also love the photos.

I may have missed it, so far I don't see any where talk about the information displayed in the optical VF. Any difference from M9? Is it still the same red LED showing 3-digit speed/left-right triangle?

Thanks.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Thank you for the good write-up. I enjoy reading it. Also love the photos.

I may have missed it, so far I don't see any where talk about the information displayed in the optical VF. Any difference from M9? Is it still the same red LED showing 3-digit speed/left-right triangle?

Thanks.
Hi There
Glad you enjoyed the write up - especially glad you liked the snaps!
The viewfinder information is unchanged - with the slight exception that you can change the exposure compensation by pressing the new button on the front, and the LED shows you the value.
yes - otherwise the same old red LED

all the best

Amin

Emma and I gave Silas a lovely M6 for his 30th birthday. Now he's sold a whole Pentax system to buy a summicron 35. It's a dangerous and slippery slope you're teetering on!
I know I'm too lazy and impatient to shoot film very often, so I only sold off enough kit to buy a 35/2 Biogon. The real danger is that I'll end up with a digital M body. Then who knows what I'll need to sell to buy lenses :chug:.

jonoslack

I know I'm too lazy and impatient to shoot film very often, so I only sold off enough kit to buy a 35/2 Biogon. The real danger is that I'll end up with a digital M body. Then who knows what I'll need to sell to buy lenses :chug:.
HI Amin
It's a dangerous place to go. Now I want two bodies - and something's going to have to go. Probably that lovely 24 'lux and maybe even the delicious 180 Apo R f2.8 (help).

The good thing about Leica lenses is that as long as you buy well, they do, at least, hold their value reasonably well.

all the best

KeithL

Could some kind soul please confirm if the EVF2 has a grid line option. Also, does the LCD have the same option?

Thanks in advance.

Godfrey

Could some kind soul please confirm if the EVF2 has a grid line option. Also, does the LCD have the same option?
I suspect that if the LCD has it, the EVF does too ... not the other way around as the EVF is simply taking the video signal that would otherwise go to the LCD.

G

V

Vivek

Keith, The answer is, yes.

The new Leica M is the first ever M to feature Live View and Live View Focusing. This means that now, for the first time, images can be composed using the actual image produced by the lens – with complete control of depth of field, exposure, precise framing and focusing. Its large, high-resolution 3" monitor allows precise assessment of the subject seen through the lens. This opens up entirely new opportunities for M-Photographers that previously lay far beyond the limitations of rangefinder photography, like macro and telephoto exposures, or using the monitor as a viewfinder.

Godfrey

HI Keith
Sorry - not ignoring you - I only have a very old firmware, and my impression is no - but I don't think that's necessarily the final answer!
I was poking about on the Leica USA site today looking for an instruction manual for the new M and noticed that they listed a new firmware download already ... but no instruction manual yet.

G

KeithL

HI Keith
Sorry - not ignoring you - I only have a very old firmware, and my impression is no - but I don't think that's necessarily the final answer!

all the best
Hi Jono, thanks. I can see no mention of this feature anywhere but had wondered if it would be available with a firmware update.

Best

Keith

topoxforddoc

Much though I would love one, it doesn't sound like it will replace my two DMRs. Your report says that the M with R adapter is 'no sports camera' and that the EVF cuts out for a bout a second after shooting in live view or with the EVF. That's a real shame.

I can't see Doug wanting to change with his wildlife shots and I shan't be able to for my gig photography. A 1 second delay using my 180 cron just isn.t going to cut the mustard. But the traditional M side of it does look really good - but it isn't a complete solution for R owners sadly.

Charlie

V

Vivek

Is there leveling indicator with the liveview? I think there has to be a small hardware (cost ~5 Euros) part needed for that. Can't just do it with a FW update.