The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono Slack's piece on the M(240)

V

Vivek

I thought of that as a possible work around, Keith. I did not post that thought as some may think it is ridiculous. The leveling indicator and the grid line on demand should be in this camera, IMO. Even simple P&S cams or even may be phones have these features.

I am curious- the LCD has a sapphire screen or just plain glass? :p

KeithL

I thought of that as a possible work around, Keith. I did not post that thought as some may think it is ridiculous. The leveling indicator and the grid line on demand should be in this camera, IMO. Even simple P&S cams or even may be phones have these features.
Vivek, yes, agreed, they certainly should.

jonoslack

HI There Vivek - Keith
The glass is gorilla glass (like an iPhone). I don't have a camera with current firmware, but I'm almost certain that there is a level indicator - not certain about the grid lines.

all the best

KeithL

HI There Vivek - Keith
The glass is gorilla glass (like an iPhone). I don't have a camera with current firmware, but I'm almost certain that there is a level indicator - not certain about the grid lines.

all the best
Jono, thanks again.

Perhaps someone who has the camera with the latest firmware could confirm?

jonoslack

Jono, thanks again.

Perhaps someone who has the camera with the latest firmware could confirm?
Checked the level indicator again - definitely was there, and I see no reason why they should take it away - it's called 'Horizon'
Might be worth mounting a campaign for gridlines in a later firmware update, I can see the point (did the M9 have them?). . . . . My M9 is in another building so it's easier to ask!

all the best

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, Thanks for the info!

Leica will have to change their lingo. They are catching up to others and not the trend setter they were. It is EVF and not visoflex and leveling indicator and not horizon and so on and so forth. Having said that, I do not have any qualms about their ITOOY lens hood's name, for example. :)

KeithL

Checked the level indicator again - definitely was there, and I see no reason why they should take it away - it's called 'Horizon'
Might be worth mounting a campaign for gridlines in a later firmware update, I can see the point (did the M9 have them?). . . . . My M9 is in another building so it's easier to ask!

all the best
Jono,

I've just been looking at the following link

Red Dot Forum - Photokina 2012: Day 1 - The Leica M

where they show the 'Horizon' function that clearly shows there are indicators for both pitch and roll. Whilst not a grid screen this is certainly a very useful function.

I take it - and hope and pray - that this function is also visible in the EVF?

Jono, Many thanks, yet again ;-)... and could anyone with the release firmware confirm that 'Horizon' made it through and is also available in the EVF?

Best

Keith

Godfrey

I am certain it is a glass (whatever flavor) from Schott (from Mainz, near Frankfurt) and there is no Corning glass there. :)
Corning is selling glass to manufacturers all over the world, Vivek. Including to Apple, doing manufacturing in China and importing the glass there from the USA.

Godfrey

I've just been looking at the following link

Red Dot Forum - Photokina 2012: Day 1 - The Leica M

where they show the 'Horizon' function that clearly shows there are indicators for both pitch and roll. Whilst not a grid screen this is certainly a very useful function.

I take it - and hope and pray - that this function is also visible in the EVF?

Jono, Many thanks, yet again ;-)... and could anyone with the release firmware confirm that 'Horizon' made it through and is also available in the EVF?
Indeed. The Ricoh GXR display will show either the level indicator or grid lines. Once I enabled the level indicator, I found far less need for the grid lines. I turn on the grid lines now mostly when I'm working on a tripod with a static subject, more as a placement indicator than for getting the horizontals correct.

And I'm absolutely sure that whatever the M can display on the LCD would also display in the EVF. It would not make sense for that to be otherwise since it's just diverting the same video signal to another destination. (The X2 does have a grid lines display and relays it to the EVF when the EVF is fitted and enabled.)

I am certain it is a glass (whatever flavor) from Schott (from Mainz, near Frankfurt) and there is no Corning glass there. :)
Vivek, from the M specs :):
3” TFT Display with 920.000 Pixels, scratch resistant cover glass (Corning®Gorilla®Glass)

KeithL

And I'm absolutely sure that whatever the M can display on the LCD would also display in the EVF. It would not make sense for that to be otherwise since it's just diverting the same video signal to another destination. (The X2 does have a grid lines display and relays it to the EVF when the EVF is fitted and enabled.)
Godfrey, thanks, I would imagine that you're right. Strange that the X2 has it but the M doesn't.

I'll now sit back, let the early adopters do the R&D and await RAW files and independent testing before making any kind of decision.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Yeah I'm familiar with Schott glass (have in in a rifle scope of mine... great stuff) but I was going off the Media Docs from Leica stating that the M240 was implementing Gorilla Glass. I'd imagine it is much less expensive (read: cost effective) yet still scratch resistant option over the Sapphire of the -P/ MM models that can be sold to the masses.

jonoslack

Yeah I'm familiar with Schott glass (have in in a rifle scope of mine... great stuff) but I was going off the Media Docs from Leica stating that the M240 was implementing Gorilla Glass. I'd imagine it is much less expensive (read: cost effective) yet still scratch resistant option over the Sapphire of the -P/ MM models that can be sold to the masses.
Hi There
That's right
It does have gorilla glass from Corning (same as iPad). Not as good as sapphire glass, but much much much cheaper, and a great deal better than what they had before.
I've got a battered camera here - some tiny scratches but no scuffing (and you can only see the scratches if you try really hard)
all the best

V

Vivek

I know nothing about guns and such weapons. I think I was under the wrong impression that the new M is "entirely made in the EU" (of EU components). The name "Gorilla" also somehow does not seem to fit with a Leica.

Thanks Godfrey and Ario for the corrections. :)

olaf

Hi Jono
Firstly, thank you for an excellent review. Secondly I've just picked up my M and am a little puzzled by the fact that I find setting exposure compensation an ergonomic challenge.
Apart from a negative comment by Tim Ashley, there seems to be very little criticism of the need to press and hold the focus button whilst rotating the thumb wheel. It sounds fine but in practice when handheld it is awkward, difficult (for me) to do whilst the camera is at eye level and certainly a much poorer solution than setting compensation on the M9.
I realise I can switch from A to Manual but I'm checking here in case I'm missing a trick. Is there a knack to this?
This moan aside I love the camera and once again thanks for the review.
Olaf
Olaf Willoughby creative explorations in photography

Paratom

Hi Jono
Firstly, thank you for an excellent review. Secondly I've just picked up my M and am a little puzzled by the fact that I find setting exposure compensation an ergonomic challenge.
Apart from a negative comment by Tim Ashley, there seems to be very little criticism of the need to press and hold the focus button whilst rotating the thumb wheel. It sounds fine but in practice when handheld it is awkward, difficult (for me) to do whilst the camera is at eye level and certainly a much poorer solution than setting compensation on the M9.
I realise I can switch from A to Manual but I'm checking here in case I'm missing a trick. Is there a knack to this?
This moan aside I love the camera and once again thanks for the review.
Olaf
Olaf Willoughby creative explorations in photography
Hi Olaf,
I have my new M for 10 days and feel the same about the exp comp. I hope there will be another option in a fw upgrade available. I am not sure yet which would be the best buttons. The button on the front side is not positioned very well IMO.

Godfrey

Hi Olaf,
I have my new M for 10 days and feel the same about the exp comp. I hope there will be another option in a fw upgrade available. I am not sure yet which would be the best buttons. The button on the front side is not positioned very well IMO.
Sounds like an option available on the Olympus E-1 and a couple of other cameras might be the ticket. Normally, the E-1 requires that you press the EV compensation button and turn the dial to set or change the compensation. You can set an option which pushes it to "direct" mode, where all you have to do is roll the dial. Same was true on the Panasonic L1 and, I think, on the Pentax K1.

If these buttons and dials on the M are firmware addressable, that would be a relatively simple fix.

G

jaknight

In the traditional mode, and using the auto (aperture) setting, I usually do the calculation in my head. i compose and focus on the scene, and then if i need exposure compensation i point the camera toward a brighter or darker field of view while watching the time setting in the viewfinder. At the point were I am happy with the exposure I half press the shutter and hold to lock the exposure, recompose and shoot. This usually only requires small movements of the camera, and is quick and easy to do. It makes me think about highlights and shadow, and has served me well in most situations on all of my M cameras (6, 6TTL, 8, 9 & M). John