The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Jono Slack's piece on the M(240)

D&A

Jono gave a very humanist feel for using the camera in everyday shooting...not something that's easy to do. It has a nice balance of the technical as well as emotion aspects shooting with it. Nicely done Jono!

Dave (D&A)

iiiNelson

Good read. I saw it earlier but forgot to comment (read: I took a nap after reading but not because it was boring.)

robsteve

Subscriber
Jono:

Excellent review and I particularly enjoyed the image gallery. To be honest, I looked at the pictures first, then read the text :) You have a great eye and the M suits your style.

JoelM

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but why is everyone saying that the M240 is the world's first FF interchangeable lens mirrorless camera? Wasn't the M9 the first one?

"The First Full Frame Interchangeable lens Mirrorless Camera"

TIA,

Joel

jonoslack

Jono:

Excellent review and I particularly enjoyed the image gallery. To be honest, I looked at the pictures first, then read the text :) You have a great eye and the M suits your style.
Oh! Thank You! You couldn't say anything nicer - I'm much more concerned with my pictures than my writing!

Shashin

Really nice article. It is a refreshing style in terms of the writing and photography from the facts-only approach of a DPreview and a no-facts-only approach of a Rockwell.

I do take exception to the comment about the Japanese throwing out the baby with the bath water, but that is because I know those folks and worked in that industry. ;)

jonoslack

I do take exception to the comment about the Japanese throwing out the baby with the bath water, but that is because I know those folks and worked in that industry. ;)
Well, I apologise - not a great remark - I was referring to the idea of starting from scratch with each new design - but I shouldn't have personalised it.

all the best

Shashin

Well, I apologise - not a great remark - I was referring to the idea of starting from scratch with each new design - but I shouldn't have personalised it.

all the best
Hense the smiley. Did not take it personally. Now when MR goes on about "the suits" designing cameras in Japan... :angry: I did not wear a suit--I had a factory uniform. Kind of makes you look like a character from the Thunderbirds, but allows you to walk better. AND it was polyester, which is so easy to air out.

MPK2010

HI there

Here's my piece on the new Leica - I hope you enjoy it.

Testing the M(240)

all the best
Thank you for the informative write-up and photos. One question, if you have a moment: have you seen the new M camera put halos around streetlights in night-time shots? This is a problem I have seen with numerous CMOS-sensored cameras, even when an M lens is attached (e.g. NEX), but a problem I've never had with the M9. The night-time shot with the workers looks promising but perhaps inconclusive.

jonoslack

Thank you for the informative write-up and photos. One question, if you have a moment: have you seen the new M camera put halos around streetlights in night-time shots? This is a problem I have seen with numerous CMOS-sensored cameras, even when an M lens is attached (e.g. NEX), but a problem I've never had with the M9. The night-time shot with the workers looks promising but perhaps inconclusive.
I haven't noticed any halos - but I'm so rarely in lit streets at night (I guess the nearest streetlight to us is about 6 miles away!

I'll have a look through if I get a moment and get back to you.

all the best

John Black

I haven't noticed any halos - but I'm so rarely in lit streets at night (I guess the nearest streetlight to us is about 6 miles away!

I'll have a look through if I get a moment and get back to you.

all the best
Halos are often linked to how the raw editor rolls off the highlights, maps tones and applies sharpening / noise reduction. Generally, I prefer Capture One, but when when it comes to the roll-off just before a clipped highlight, C1 is abrupt and induces hard edges that look digital. Generally, I do not like Lightroom, but in this particular area, its roll offs can be smoother, more complete without a harsh / abrupt clipping. Until the raw editors have the Leica SDK and color profiles implemented in LR, C1, etc., we probably won't be able to gauge these finer nuances.

jonoslack

Halos are often linked to how the raw editor rolls off the highlights, maps tones and applies sharpening / noise reduction. Generally, I prefer Capture One, but when when it comes to the roll-off just before a clipped highlight, C1 is abrupt and induces hard edges that look digital. Generally, I do not like Lightroom, but in this particular area, its roll offs can be smoother, more complete without a harsh / abrupt clipping. Until the raw editors have the Leica SDK and color profiles implemented in LR, C1, etc., we probably won't be able to gauge these finer nuances.
Ahhh - these were all processed with Aperture (we each have our own poison :))