The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Keep or sell M9 when new M arrives?

With the new Leica M coming, I plan to:

• Sell my M9 now before the new M arrives

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Get the new M and then sell the M9 if the new M is good enough

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Keep both my M9 and the new M

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Skip the new M and keep my M9

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Sell my M9, skip the new M and use another camera

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • undecided

Votes: 14 13.0%

• Total voters

Godfrey

I think you need to add an "Undecided" option, Brad. ;-)
I can't click any of those yet as I haven't made a plan as yet.

G

sisoje

Up until December, I had M8 and M9... Since I am leaving Canon for good, I traded in my M8 and some Canon glass for secon M9...

Again, since I am leaving Canon I will get M240 for sure (because versatility of using long lenses and t/s lenses, and video of course!) and once I have it I will sell my "old" 5DMKII for what ever I can get at that point...

Than, I will have an extensive Leica M system with variety of Leica, Zeisss ZM and VC glass as well as Contax Zeiss and Nikon (glass) that I can use on my new M and my professional Sony PMW-F3 video camera...

Perfect!

P.S. I will get M240 next fall or winter, once all the beta testing in the field is done...

Hosermage

I don't think I'll ever sell my M9 for sentimental reasons as it is my first rangefinder. Any new cameras in the future will just be tools, but the M9 represent a milestone in my life.

douglasf13

I'm keeping the M9. I may look into the new M in a year or two, or maybe I'll wait for the next model, but, either way, I'll still keep my M9 to use as backup.

Of course, if the bottom drops out of M9 prices, and they start going for something crazy like $2K in the next year or two, I may just buy a second, used M9 for backup.

edwardkaraa

I seem to have a different opinion every day, but my current state of mind is to keep the M9 and watch how things evolve with the M 240. I will certainly not buy the M 240 untill I am confident it is a mature product with no bugs.

ashwinrao1

I am guessing that I will get the M240 eventually. For now, the MM and M9P will suffice for the scope of my photography. The reviews posted by Jono, Ming, and Sean show to me the new camera for what it is: an revolutionary move towards improved camera design, while accommodating new trends in photography. However, IQ seems more evolutionary, and I am not sure that the camera will extend my capacities as a photographer in a dramatic way, given that the M9 and fast glass will suffice for my color low light work, while the MM extends ISO capacities more meaningfully for me. Eventually, though, I am sure that I'll get that itch and snag this high quality product... As timing, desire, and finances allow...

pophoto

For a lot of people, upgrading Ms is a costly no matter how you look at it. No camera really improves on ones photography but it can certainly make ones life easier. I can certainly see the new M as a worthy upgrade, but only as far financial sense permits.

My 5D Mark 3 is certainly a lot better than my Mark 2, both of which I have, and while I'd like to think I've grown as a photographer, I'd be fooling myself it is because of the upgrade. I welcome the extra features, in camera lens profiles and better higher ISO, and the new toy!

Ditto

I'm keeping the M9. I may look into the new M in a year or two, or maybe I'll wait for the next model, but, either way, I'll still keep my M9 to use as backup.

Of course, if the bottom drops out of M9 prices, and they start going for something crazy like $2K in the next year or two, I may just buy a second, used M9 for backup.

retow

In 2009, the M9 was revolutionary as far as IQ in a small package was concerned and set a new benchmark and paying USD 7000 did not bother me as there were simply no alternatives. It`s 2013 and things have changed. IQ wise, alternatives are being offered by competition, more compact, lighter and costing much less. The joy of using a RF does no longer justify the huge Leica price premium to me. It's the M9 until it stops working and until then, FF NEX, FF Ricoh M and FF Fuji X will be available to continue using the outstanding M glass.

Last edited:

fotografz

Personally, I wouldn't make a decision on any camera until it is done.

Thus, I'd have to go with "undecided" for now.

The other possibility is to have no color M camera, and only shoot B&W with my MM ... leaving color to the S2.

-Marc

FrozenInTime

I'm in no rush for the M240.
I'm happy with my M9-P and MM; happier the more I use them.

But if they release a MP-100 (year anniversary) in September I may go for that ;-)

charlesphoto

Hanging onto one of mine (it's got 42,000 actuations and starting to brass nicely) and selling the other to fund an MM. Probably get the next iteration of the M240 in a few years (or a used one in less) but for now my D600 does everything that it would do for me over an M9.

rscheffler

If I get an M, I plan to keep the M9. You never know when something might need service and it would be painful to be without a camera for a few weeks.

jffielde

I think I will either sell the M9 or return the M240 within a week of receipt of the M240. If the base IQ is comparable and the banding isn't an issue through ISO 4000, I'll sell the M9. If either of those two issues are present, I'll return the M240.

mmbma

i'll wait for the people who sell their M9s to drive down the price for the M9s, then grab one :) I think M9s will go as low as 3000 in 6 months time.

douglasf13

i'll wait for the people who sell their M9s to drive down the price for the M9s, then grab one :) I think M9s will go as low as 3000 in 6 months time.
I'm not so sure. I bought my M9 las September for $4K, and they haven't really dropped since. I think the combination of the M-E being on the market and the mystique of the CCD sensor will hold values up for a while, but we'll see. I do hope they drop, since I don't plan on selling my M9, and, like I said above, I'd like to buy a backup.