The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Keep or sell M9 when new M arrives?

With the new Leica M coming, I plan to:

• Sell my M9 now before the new M arrives

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Get the new M and then sell the M9 if the new M is good enough

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Keep both my M9 and the new M

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Skip the new M and keep my M9

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Sell my M9, skip the new M and use another camera

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • undecided

Votes: 14 13.0%

• Total voters

thrice

I think the two will be very complimentary cameras.
The M9 for the CCD look at low ISO when you don't want to take shots within 5s of each other.
The new M for weather sealing, high ISO, better screen, the occasional video clip, better tripod mounting, faster processing and way longer battery life.

Zookeeper

Keep the M9-P

Its the first DRF I ever used, love the IQ with Leica glass, landscape images print very nicely up to 30 x 20 inches. My copy of this camera has been back for warranty repairs twice, the last time Leica installed a completely new sensor and replaced the Vulcanite with something I think I like even better. After all that I'm not about to part with it.

I'm 9th on the list for a new M 240 at my favorite Leica dealer ...when they start shipping.

rayyan

People have already been getting their new Ms. For a few days now!

On or before the much discussed delays.

Well done Leica. Hope no major issues have remained unidentified.

As to why people might sell their M9/P...many reasons. Maybe to finance the new M, maybe because they can and want, to name a few valid reasons.

jonoslack

Brad, you haven't put in an option for:
Already sold M9p, keeping the other M9 (it's got my name on it), getting two M bodies (1 arrived) and having to sell something else to pay for the other one!
New option please :)

scott kirkpatrick

Have M2, M8u (with sapphire LCD cover and 2m frame lines), M9 (with scratched LCD cover) and second M9 (with blinking light power switch). With that barnyard full, I don't know which to part with when the M finally joins them. I'll think about it for a while.

scott

jonoslack

Have M2, M8u (with sapphire LCD cover and 2m frame lines), M9 (with scratched LCD cover) and second M9 (with blinking light power switch). With that barnyard full, I don't know which to part with when the M finally joins them. I'll think about it for a while.

scott
Hi Scott
He hasn't put in an option for that either - altogether an ill-conceived questionnaire I'd say :ROTFL:

D&A

Brad, you haven't put in an option for:
Already sold M9p, keeping the other M9 (it's got my name on it), getting two M bodies (1 arrived) and having to sell something else to pay for the other one!
New option please :)
Just think Jono...when the successor to the current new M is released in the future, you'll have the M9 with your name on it, two M's (one of which you'll eventually sell and one you'll keep), and two new M successors bodies. Hmm, sounds more like a rabbit breading farm than a well conceived computer/photographic endeavor if you ask me. :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott
He hasn't put in an option for that either - altogether an ill-conceived questionnaire I'd say :ROTFL:
Nor is there an option for the Mark Norton approach -- when the new one is in hand, take the old one apart to see what is inside.

I did have three M8's at one point, using the Jaguar theory, one to drive to the shop where the other two are being repaired. But the cleanest, least used two of those are gone.

scott

dseelig

I never had more then 1 m8 had two m9s now none, had to sell as I am a pro photographer so if I want the new one the old had to go. If I love it will find a way to get a second.

I should sell the M9 as in theory it would be redundant, but I'm not sure if I can sell it. It's very much my M9. I wish I hadn't rushed to put my deposit down actually!

Peter Klein

I'm still shooting with an M8. And "slumming" with an OM-D, which is quite a nice slum. Um, what was the question again? ;)

jonoslack

Just think Jono...when the successor to the current new M is released in the future, you'll have the M9 with your name on it, two M's (one of which you'll eventually sell and one you'll keep), and two new M successors bodies. Hmm, sounds more like a rabbit breading farm than a well conceived computer/photographic endeavor if you ask me. :)

Dave (D&A)
Hi Dave. Actually, I'm quite good at clearing stuff out. The M9 with my name on also says M8 on the front, it's a momento, and has a book to go with it (I'm lucky to have it).
The new Ms are fab, but if I'm not using them any more, then they will be off to eBay just like anything else.
All the best

henningw

I seem to have a different opinion every day, but my current state of mind is to keep the M9 and watch how things evolve with the M 240. I will certainly not buy the M 240 untill I am confident it is a mature product with no bugs.
My impression after 2 weeks of ownership is that the M240 is a quite mature product. No bugs encountered. I haven't yet seen the banding mentioned by others, but it's early days.

The M8 and M9 never were mature. As for the question asked by this thread; I'll keep the M9 as a backup, especially for good light conditions when speed doesn't matter.

The image quality of the new camera is a true step forward, which I hadn't expected. The increased dynamic range especially is wonderful. I can throttle back the M240 files to resemble M9 files, but there's no chance of going the other direction.

Henning

D&A

Hi Dave. Actually, I'm quite good at clearing stuff out. The M9 with my name on also says M8 on the front, it's a momento, and has a book to go with it (I'm lucky to have it).
The new Ms are fab, but if I'm not using them any more, then they will be off to eBay just like anything else.
All the best
I know Jono...I was just pulling your leg and having a little fun. I often find it hard to let go of many items, especially those that have some sort of memory or sentimental attachment. All in good fun!

Dave (D&A)