The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica delimma I think

aragdog

Ok in Katrina I lost a lot of stuff. Two M bodies and one lens that was in a light case ready for taking photos. Lots of Nikon and Contax and Blads, but that is another story. I have pre ordered the new M, and have some lens for it. But do I just sell or keep.

50 mm Summicron F2 Canadian
50 mm Summilux f1.4 Asph
35 mm Summ f2 Asph
28 mm 2.8 Elmarit kinda old but sharp
21 mm 2.8 Asph Also have view finder thingee
90 mm f2 Summ old version
135 mm with finder attached

Just wondering, sell all or not. I have heard there is a S zoom that can be adapted to the M? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Remember all of the great photos taken at events here and street stuff with a rangefinder and miss it.

BANKER1

Your lens lineup is formidable and complete. So, I am wondering why you would even consider selling even one of those lenses.

Several years ago I vowed to never sell any camera gear ever again. After selling camera equipment in the past, I always seemed to regret it. Thus the vow. And, by the way, I also vowed to never sell any guns either. Thankfully, I have so far kept my vows.

Greg

aragdog

My main reason is that I have been away from Leica for some time and are not certain of what still is good for that new camera? Just thought I might sell one or two for the newer ones that are coming. But in thinking I might not and just take some photos with a friends M9 and just see.

algrove

Sorry to hear about Katrina- We lost everything in Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and it still haunts us.

Some say never sell Leica glass. If you really want to sell keep what you remember you liked and used the most. Not S, but R glass.

The R lens series had some awesome zooms. 80-200, 28-90, and then there is the 21-35, 35-70-one expensive, one not. Then we can get into the long, but nice category the 105-280 and 70-180.

You will just need an R to M adapter and off you go. I personally used the 28-90 on the M with the Leica adapter at Photokina and the balance was very nice to me.

Godfrey

I'd wait for the camera to arrive and experiment with what you have already before selling or buying anything. Some of my favorite photos made with the M9 have been made with older lenses, like the 1960 Hektor 135mm f/4.5 ...

Just because they don't perform like modern lenses doesn't make them bad!

aragdog

Ok shot some photos of GrandDaughter yesterday with M9 and the 90 and they were great. Selling nothing. Will wait for the M.