The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oily diaphragm

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my 28 chron asph is showing oil on the diaphragm.
Now what to do, send it to Allendale under passport to to DAG?
I am thinking that DAG is the right answer.;)
-bob

doug

It's more important on an SLR lens where the diaphragm has to move quickly. My vote is to ignore it until you get close to the end of the warrantee period, then send it to Allendale.

robsteve

Subscriber
Bob:

I think any of the lenses with APO or ASPH in the name need to go to Solms for work, so I would do as Doug suggested, live with it and then later at a slow time send it to Leica in Allendale to deal with it.

Robert

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I hope that the collection of little oily spots on the inside of the rear element does not get too ugly.
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
It shouldn't get on the elements. On some older lenses, the oil could be volatile and fog the elements. It is a pretty modern lens with modern lubricanrts you have so it shouldn't be a problem.

Robert