The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My humble observation

VINCET

This is just my humble observation.

From the time the new M Type 240 was announced up to now, there were and still are a lot of talk about how it might be better or worse that the old M9. There seems to be 2 camps here, one that is somewhat unhappy with the new M for variety of reason from newer technology in the new M that cause the IQ to look more digital or the fact that it is bigger or heavier. The other camp are the early adopter that just needs to have the latest and the greatest. I see the similarity in auto enthusiast. Whenever BMW introduce a new 3 series, there will be 2 camps, one that are the early adopter who think the latest car is the best, and the other are (not sure if it is the right term) purist who swore that the new car is never as good as its predecessor, it is heavier, doesn't handle as well, too big, ugly design etc.

The early adopter will always be the early adopter. They have the money (or will come up with the money somehow) to get the latest and the greatest and love it. Some of the early adopter are also the people with a lot of financial means. They see the product as a status symbol to say they have it and the rest of you just can't afford it. Again, Leica, like BMW knows that well and I think really caters to this group. Just look at the number of limited edition this and that. Not all early adopter are rich or seeking status symbol. Some just love or need the latest technology for work or needed the features that is not available in the earlier model.

As for other camp, at the end of the life-cycle of the product, most of the people who did not like the product when it was introduced now can't say enough good things about the product. They also start comparing the soon to be released product with the current, about to go away, product and would swear that the old product is better than the soon to be released. I see this somewhat with the Leica Ms and the same with BMW 3 series. This only happen to products where you have very enthusiastic followers. These are also great products to begin with and have set the bar so high. The product usually have a very long product life, long after it is discontinued.

Edit: As Jono pointed out below, there is also the group that are true users of the product. These are people that will use all the different version of the product and are serious about their craft whether it be driving or photography. The see the product as a tool and might find features in the new product that is not available in the older version.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi There
There is also the camp who have been shooting with the M8 and then the M9, extensively and seriously, and who are really interested in the benefits the new camera brings. . . . and there are many benefits.

For me, the principal benefits are the quieter shutter (much) and the better high ISO (much).

I think your observations are good fun - but they rather patronise people who are serious about their photography (count me out - I'm just a gadget freak :)

all the best

VINCET

Jono,

Good point. I did not really mean to patronize anybody or hopefully, did not offend anyone. I do agree that there are others who are early adopters because they see features that is not available in the current model that they need. I also love new tech and for me, the biggest selling point of the new M is the moisture seal and the better high ISO. I do love the new one but eventually, reality hit and got myself a great M9-P from Marc. I guess I will alway be in the almost latest and greatest crowd.

Vince

S

sheikh

guys i have r9 with dmr and 28 to 90mm asph lens, is that good idea if i add m 240 body only.

VINCET

Jon,

Almost did but decided to stay with something that can do color still. I might still go for the new M as I really like some of the feature. What I don't like is the look. Maybe a digital MP?

Vince

jstaben

Jon,

Almost did but decided to stay with something that can do color still. I might still go for the new M as I really like some of the feature. What I don't like is the look. Maybe a digital MP?

Vince
Good choice. I agree I like the understated M9P/MM look. I'd wait for the inevitable special version like 100-year anniversary edition, or the MP-240 version, or whatever.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Its always fun to have the newest Leica equipment . There is an undeniable thrill of getting a new Leica camera or lens and opening the box for the first time . If the product meets expectations (which means it just about perfect for your uses) it will be praised ..if problems arise ...well you have friends that will show empathy (?).

If you are really serious about your photography and have gone through several Leica new product introductions .....you should know that they are never ever perfect . (I am impressed by the MONO ). How happy will those getting new M s be if the camera develops a cold right before or during an important assignment either professional or personal ? So there is a certain well justified concern about being an early adopter (Beta?) .

If you avoid the discussion of aesthetic ..the new M appears to be a significant improvement over the M9 in essentially every specification . They have corrected most of the things that bothered me ....battery,card,buffer,weather sealing, ability to focus a 135APO , ISO performance in the 800-3200 range,screen etc .

I enjoy the new new camera process ...but not the effort required to rework my processes or the risk that I will not be at the top of my game on the next shoot . But the M is my primary system ..so I feel a need to get on with it . Those evening shoots this summer will really benefit from the better ISO performance and I am not waiting a another year .

This has little to do with being first ..I have done that plenty .

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Said already multiple times, the Leica M8 and also the DMR made me really cautious about the quality of new digital products of the house Leica. I was burned with both approaches heavily and so I am just very, very careful. Plus I do not have the immediate need to jump on the very first Leica Ms coning out of the factory. I do for sure not want to play beta tester again ;)

While I definitely look forward to get the M as I want to have the best camera for all my Leica M glass, I am trying this time to avoid the first wave and watch very carefully how that M does and if there are quirks - especially from the first series. For the biggest part it seems that the M is really solving all issues I had with the M8 (and would have had with the M9 as well), especially much better high ISO, some higher resolution, faster operation (I do hope also more reliable), LV just for lenses like the WATE and the 4/135, larger LCD ..... to list the most important ones for me.

So if it turns out it does what it offers also in a reliable way, then I will be really happy. Otherwise I will not buy.

I think it is save to bet after June/July this year that all the M child diseases (if there are some) are overcome. There is huge hope!

douglasf13

There is another camp, to which I belong at the moment, which thinks the M 240 is a fine camera, despite the CMOS questions and many features that I'd never use, but it just isn't quite worth trading up for any time soon, because the M9 is doing its job nicely.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There is another camp, to which I belong at the moment, which thinks the M 240 is a fine camera, despite the CMOS questions and many features that I'd never use, but it just isn't quite worth trading up for any time soon, because the M9 is doing its job nicely.
Well, but there are some who do not have an M9 ....

jonoslack

Hi Douglas - of course, you're quite right. All I can say is . . .
Don't try one!​
For my money the big point is just what a wonderful rangefinder camera it is, and that's how I'll be using mine.

douglasf13

Hi Douglas - of course, you're quite right. All I can say is . . .
Don't try one!​
For my money the big point is just what a wonderful rangefinder camera it is, and that's how I'll be using mine.
To be honest, Jono, I'm really not that worried about trying one. I only shoot in manual mode, and I don't even use the LCD screen, except for formatting my card, so much of the improved controls and LCD are lost on me. I guess a quieter shutter would be nice, and, while probably not necessary for me, weathersealing would be fine, and I'd take the improved battery life, but it seems that's really all the camera has to offer me. Conversely, the camera is missing the frame selector, it is heavier, and, on a less important note, I still think the M9 is a "prettier" camera, with its notched top plate. I'm also a little concerned about having that new exp. comp button on the front, since it's right where I place my fingers, but I'd have to try it out.

I'll eventually buy a second M body someday, either the new M 240 or another used M9, but the new M doesn't give me the feeling of needing to rush out to upgrade, for my style of shooting. Don't get me wrong. I think it is a proper and nice upgrade. It just may not be all that necessary for me at the moment.

Godfrey

It's the improvements in responsiveness which will draw me to the new M most of all.

Live View is a plus, the bigger battery another, the higher sensitivity of the sensor a third. But responsiveness is the key, for me. The new M seems to be responsive on the same order that my Olympus E-5 was, and I'd really like to have that kind of snappy response back.

G

douglasf13

It's the improvements in responsiveness which will draw me to the new M most of all.

Live View is a plus, the bigger battery another, the higher sensitivity of the sensor a third. But responsiveness is the key, for me. The new M seems to be responsive on the same order that my Olympus E-5 was, and I'd really like to have that kind of snappy response back.

G
Responsive in what way? Maybe I'm not privy to all of the improvements.

jonoslack

Responsive in what way? Maybe I'm not privy to all of the improvements.
That's why I said you'd better not try one.
The shutter is lovely - it isn't just the sound, it's also the feel, which is delicious.
But there is less shutter lag, and the camera writes to cards faster and just feels quicker.
Your wants are the same as mine, which is why I said not to try it! (you'll be doomed).

VINCET

For me, for most of the time, my M9 is pretty responsive. The only time I have issue is occassionally, when I switch to discrete shutter mode, the camera seems to take a long time after I press the shutter to come back to ready mode. It will go like click, then wait, wait..... 10+ secs later, I hear the shutter advance. Even though I release the shutter immediately. This never happen to me when I am in standard mode.

jonoslack

For me, for most of the time, my M9 is pretty responsive. The only time I have issue is occassionally, when I switch to discrete shutter mode, the camera seems to take a long time after I press the shutter to come back to ready mode. It will go like click, then wait, wait..... 10+ secs later, I hear the shutter advance. Even though I release the shutter immediately. This never happen to me when I am in standard mode.
Hi Vince - I think my advice to you is the same as to Douglas - just don't try it, or you'll be eating your words!

all the best

BANKER1

Well, but there are some who do not have an M9 ....
That would be me! This will be my first Leica after lusting for them since I saw my first one "in the flesh" in 1970. I have been on a waiting list since early October.

Greg