The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M in Venice

BANKER1

Jono,

Loved, loved, loved the series. Having been there, I know you did a tremendous job. We plan to go there again soon, and I will have my new M with me.

Greg

tashley

Subscriber Member
Lovely - and such lovely light too, really clear and clean. Such a nice set of evocative images!

benroy

Subscriber Member
Jono: it ain't the camera and it ain't the lenses...it's the marvelous eye of a first rate photographer...the reflections are wonderful!

Roy Benson

Seascape

Excellent work Jono :thumbs:

I must say Venice visually is a great motivator for photography, it seems that everywhere you look there is a fabulous image just waiting to be taken.

Your portfolio captures the essence of the city superbly......well done!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Nicely done Jono . I bet you feel better now that you have wrestled those DNG s back from Leica and can show the files in final form . Venice is at the top of my places to shoot with an M and your images really remind me of the wonderful opportunities .

tashley

Subscriber Member
Nicely done Jono . I bet you feel better now that you have wrestled those DNG s back from Leica and can show the files in final form . Venice is at the top of my places to shoot with an M and your images really remind me of the wonderful opportunities .
I agree with you on that Roger: not only is there the obvious beauty of the place itself, but the light is so often incredible, the weather has many moods, the water everywhere is a natural up lighter and spreader of colour and a sort of 'textured light'. And then there's the fact that the locals are so used to being photographed and the tourists are all taking photographs, so no on ever complains about it. The history of the place is also dark as well as refined, and these two things still seep from every pore.

So unlike all the other famous places that the 'photographerds' go to, where an original shot is almost an impossibility, Venice spits out new scenes like a machine gun. Bloody marvellous.

jonoslack

I agree with you on that Roger: not only is there the obvious beauty of the place itself, but the light is so often incredible, the weather has many moods, the water everywhere is a natural up lighter and spreader of colour and a sort of 'textured light'. And then there's the fact that the locals are so used to being photographed and the tourists are all taking photographs, so no on ever complains about it. The history of the place is also dark as well as refined, and these two things still seep from every pore.

So unlike all the other famous places that the 'photographerds' go to, where an original shot is almost an impossibility, Venice spits out new scenes like a machine gun. Bloody marvellous.
Hi Tim
I love it there - we keep going back again - as you say, the light changes so fast.
This time we were just between the two major aqua alta events - which would have been fun to photograph - amazing watching the water bubbling up through the grids and filling the streets - and the shops just staying open with a foot of water in them!
Nice in November because there aren't so many tourists - not so good for sitting outside to eat.
Anyone who visits must try and get to Burano though (with the brightly coloured houses). I've always found Murano a bit of a let down, but Burano is gorgeous (great place for lunch too).

Thank you everyone for the kind words - glad you enjoyed them!

all the best

algrove

First, thanks for sharing. I guess Venice is now back on my "must revisit" list again. Wonderful colors and choices of venue.

StephenPatterson

Thanks Jono, it's very interesting to see your shots along with the EXIF data. I notice that you switched among the different metering modes (as a good tester should do) but did you come away with a favorite metering mode? I have not had enough time to fully experiment with the "advanced" metering using the sensor, but I am hesitant to use these as the shutter must be open and the cycle time is slower.

Cheers,
Stephen

algrove

Good point Stephen.

Jono-

I see you started out using Daylight WB, Aperture Priority and Center Weighted on most images. Then, it seems you changed and used lots of Auto WB, Aperture Priority and more multi metering. Is the change toward the end of your images mainly stemming from your comfort level or experimenting? Did you end up with a preference as Stephen asks?

Also, O mm seems to show up on f1.4 shots. Is that the 50 Lux or the APO50 with extrapolation?

Last edited: