The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To 6-Bit code a 90mm or not?

VINCET

Is it worth having 6-bit coding on lens like the 90mm Elmarit? Besides the Exif info, any big benefit? If I remember correctly, having 6-bit info on wide lenses is a must have.

Godfrey

Haven't seen much if any difference. I set the lens type code just to get focal length into the EXIF.

John Black

There are flange replacements available on Ebay for $20-40 USD. I bought one of these a couple years back and it worked out fine. There are different configuration for the screws, make sure you get the right one for your lens. For the $20, it's worth a shot (IMO).

Double Negative

Not Available
I actually just broke down and ordered one of those eBay flanges for my 90... Yeah, supposedly they work okay. Should be here any day... I'll report back. I've bought those cheap LTM/M adapters off eBay before that were codeable; but I didn't care for them and returned them.

Ironically, just today I completely overhauled the Leica Lens Codes page to include some new lenses and a lot more info.

250swb

I think its well worth it for the EXIF info if all your other lenses are coded, otherwise leave it. But I have coded mine with a Dremel which works perfectly, and also used the Chinese replacement flange just to see how efficient they are. And they work very well indeed. Make sure you have the correct size screwdriver (an '00') and it takes just a few minutes to swap them over. Use black paint, not a marker pen, to code, and you don't need the white marks.

Steve

StephenPatterson

I had my 90 Elmarit-M coded so I could sort in Lightroom, but as others have said this is really the only reason to code a lens longer than 50mm.