The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with R Lenses on M

algrove

OK, here goes:

R 105-280 f4.2 OOC JPEG no optimizing on camera or otherwise. AutoWB, spot meter, Novoflex R to M adapter at 105mm. Double click image to enlarge. Nothing special-just an example.

View attachment 70174

Last edited:

algrove

Another R lens APO 180/2.8 , Auto WB, spot metering, manual focus without FA, tripod, Novoflex R to M adapter which camera says "Lens Uncoded". Can't remember ISO. Took this image +25 Contrast and -15 Brightness in PS. Nothing special-just an example. Double click to enlarge image.

View attachment 70175

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Lou
Well started - it should grow and grow!
here are a couple from me from the cold snap in January - with the 28-90 Zoom

all the best

algrove

I do not have a Leica R to M adapter yet (I hear none are out yet) so nothing that I can find on my camera detects any R lens even if on Auto Detect Lens (since no R lens is 6 bit coded) or even when I go to the Manual Lens List since that list only lists M lenses, so far.

All my images say "uncoded" because if this. Jono was lucky enough to have the Leica R to M adapter while testing his R lenses.

The M recognizes the Leica adapter via its 6 bit code and that is what then allows you to go into that List of about 20 R lenses. It seems all R lenses work from what I can tell so far, but then again the ones I have tried are in the list I believe. However, my M did not know these lenses were R lenses since I use a Novoflex uncoded R to M Adapter. I have taken images successfully with the R 105-280 which is not on the list in the M brochure p. 20. So we now know one not on the list works with the Novoflex. Reminds me again after you hear the Leica adapter is out and we shall see what happens then.

Somewhere I read that the M supports all R lenses whether on the list of 20 lenses or not. It could have been a statement by Jono or Chris, not sure.

scott kirkpatrick

For cryin' out loud! Someone find out the 6-bit code for the Leica R to M adapter, and sharpie-code it onto a Novoflex adapter. Unless the Novoflex has a very narrow base that lets light in, it should get you to the list of supported R lenses. Then the more exotic R lenses can be described as something on the list and something will come out of it.

Guys, we have all gone soft since the days of the M8, when experimentation was second nature.

scott

jonoslack

For cryin' out loud! Someone find out the 6-bit code for the Leica R to M adapter, and sharpie-code it onto a Novoflex adapter. Unless the Novoflex has a very narrow base that lets light in, it should get you to the list of supported R lenses. Then the more exotic R lenses can be described as something on the list and something will come out of it.

Guys, we have all gone soft since the days of the M8, when experimentation was second nature.

scott
Hi Scott - the code is easy - but the Novoflex adapter brings up 50/75, and you need the 28/90 for the coding.

If you have an adapter which brings up 28/90, then you can code it with a sharpie (or whatever). I know, I did it!

Having said that it really isn't a problem - I've been trying out a Contax/Zeiss 28-85 today - uncoded does fine!

all the best

Auni

Algrove - This is a great thread you started. I wish I could play. I have the R 280/2.8 and can't wait to try it on my M. But, I don't have an adaptor yet - come on Leica! I also have the 105-280 that you used on your first shot. Do you have any shots from that incredible 280/4.0 APO? I wonder what it is going to look like on the M? Should be a fantastic lens on the M. can't wait to try it out. I think that these great R lenses are going to be harder and harder to acquire as more M's hit the market.

Jono - As always nice shots! And, your dog doesn't look purple. Is that due the newer LR profile from the nonspecific one we saw earlier in your beta-shots or just better PP on your part?

RL

algrove

Auni-First welcome to the forum. Wait I see 2008. Oh well, welcome back.

Thanks for reminding me to get out and shoot with that 280/4.0 on my M. I just might try it on that mermaid who adores the pirate on the flag. I can get there in 5 minutes, but today the weather is tornado prone.

Forgot to mention the black flag shot was handheld before I stopped by all the water side establishments to "test" their latest.

jonoslack

Jono - As always nice shots! And, your dog doesn't look purple. Is that due the newer LR profile from the nonspecific one we saw earlier in your beta-shots or just better PP on your part?

RL
HI There (and welcome)
my dog certainly isn't purple! (was it before :))
As far as adapters are concerned, I shot a lot of pictures using a $16 converter I bought on ebay (no problem). If you want the coding to work, then you need it to bring up the 28/90 framelines.

the Leica adapter is a whole different thing, but it doesn't make the pictures better!

all the best

Auni

Hi Jono -

Yes, I understand that other adaptors work that bring up the 28/90 frame lines and if the adapter is coded correctly it will even bring up the R lens list. I suppose I should look on eBay and get one. None knows Leica's delivery date on accessories.

Yes, your dog had a warm tone to it in some of the photos posted earlier on. The dog looks fine now on these postings. I just wondered what the difference was... LR update in ACR? Maybe, he just wasn't feeling well then...

algrove

R 80-200mm/4.0 on a cloudy day. Hand held at maybe 160mm 1/2000 ISO 1250. I must say I do not like the noise I am seeing at ISO3200 while working in LR.

View attachment 71204 Double click to enlarge.

Last edited:

algrove

First go with the R APO Macro 100/2.8 on my M. I have just gained MORE respect for macro shooters as I found this first attempt anything, but easy. I was focusing on the dip on the first leaf. At 5.6 the depth of focus was nearly non-existent.

View attachment 71273

Click to enlarge.

Last edited: