The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with R Lenses on M

algrove

Thanks, Gary. If you get the 28/2 Cron you will be hard pressed to put it down and/or take it off. Perfect for the up close shots at the Calgary Stampede.

Gary Clennan

The 28cron is indeed a great lens but my Credit Card needs a break for a while.... :) BTW - have you been to the Stampede before? Great fun.

V

Vivek

Louis, The 2nd one in post #28 is decent. The one in #27 has a horrible case of CA, may be impossible to correct.

(Not sure about your liberal use of the new emoticon)

chadlanc

How does the novoflex adapter effect the image? Looking to get the adapter to use on our red epic so we don't have to have two different camera mounts for our R and M lenses.

vickko

Wow, fantastic images.

The gearhead in me says:

- R lenses have a long backfocus length, so the CA dispersion issues should be much less when using an M8 and M9. So maybe dialing up the equivalent focal length on an M9 should be fine, or going "uncoded" on the M8 is fine too.

- it brings back the days of guess focusing, or post-exposure chimping. But I think chimping would be a pain, to get the image magnification up. Certainly not great for any spontaneous shooting that needs focusing.

- I want to try using the 28mm shift lens on the M9. Should be a blast to do real perspectives correction

- and full frame on the M9 with R9 lenses - oh so exciting

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
The 28mm PC actually turns out to be a good lens. Mechanically excellent. Images have some r-g ca which can be corrected. Good flare resistance. Plenty sharp stopped down a couple of stops. Wants to be shot at f11 or so when shifted. Corners still excellent at 6mm shift which is what it typically takes to tighten up the foreground. At a full 11mm it gets a little sketchy. Highly recommended if you don't need tilts (which I very rarely feel the need for). Brick wall test with 9mm or so of downward shift.

Brick wall torture test on a rainy day:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
:worthless:

View attachment 72697 Click to enlarge.

View attachment 72698 Click to enlarge.

:worthless:

Both M + R15/2.8
Interesting. I've owned this lens which was actually made by Zeiss ( in this case with a Leica badge), in a Canon mount. I found sharpness issues in the outer zones and some CA so I ended up selling it. It's a monster from a size and weight standpoint. It's lovely from a fit an finish standpoint. Still expensive in the used market.

algrove

Woody Do you think the R 28PC is better than the M 28/2. I picked up the 28 PC, but have never taken one shot with it so far.