The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Used leica Lenses in Hong Kong

jubbaa

All,

I am going to be on business in Hong Kong on Wednesday/Thursday and have a couple of hours to myself to pop out and do a bit of shopping. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any reputable sellers of used Leica Lenses , particularly around the Causeway bay , Hong Kong Island part of town. Also, how are the used prices compared to the US? ( I appreciate that a google search yields a few answers but I wanted to get some up to date information as I know asking prices vary all the time as do shops closing down / changing locations ).

If it helps I am not looking for anything too exotic ( 35 cron non – asph ( V4, 3 or 1 ?? ) and a 50 cron v5 )

Many thanks for your time and input.

James

I wouldn't buy used in CWB. You need to go to TST, Hart Avenue and that area. Look for Ming C9.99 (C9.99), he's a very decent chap. Ninedays photography (9days Photo & Camera - Ninedays Photography Limited) are good, enthusiastic, but can be pricey. Fotopia are also good guys, very personable and enthusiasts too. All these guys post regularly on local forums. There's a couple of other guys in Hart Ave (same building as Ming). Most are fine in there because they're all up in a building, people know them by reputation.

All Best in Champagne Court can have good deals sometimes, they have a range of new CV lenses too at reasonable prices (usually). You'll also find the infamous David Chan, who carries a lot of stock, his specialties are that he'll have almost anything you want. If you're looking for something unusual or rare, he's the man to source it, but he's not cheap.

There's a little shop under Champagne ct where a dealer and photo lab co-exist. The photo lab is called dot-well, they great!! I use them a lot. The dealer there often has good deals, reputable, but no english at all. Often a customer can help out, they're always packed.

Stay well away from TinCxxeng, they'll rip your face off.

- Paul

StephenPatterson

Zhao Xiang Guan (aka Sun Camera) on Kimberely Rd. is the first place I go in Hong Kong. They are very reasonable, take trade-ins and have a large selection of new and used equipment. My friends and I have done enough business with them that I can recommend them with no reservations. The shop is on the 12th floor of Kimberley House. From Nathan Rd. walk past the Miramar Shopping Arcade and the building entrance is on the north side. It's a small walk down to an elevator, but if you have any trouble one of the tailors who will be trying to sell you a suit will tell you where it is. They're very friendly.

Sun Camera

Also I would absolutely visit Tin Cheung in the K11 Arcade and see their new flagship store. Their new prices are no worse than anyone else and they do lots of business in HK. They also have a used store on Moody Rd. but it would not be my first choice.

And if you have time a trip to Mong Kok and Sim City is always entertaining.

Have fun and enjoy the city.

Stephen, the first one mentioned sold me a 2nd hand Alpa as a new camera, plus sold me film lenses for digital and wouldn't give a full refund, even though I bought more gear from them. I was a loyal customer of theirs for many years until that. The 2nd one mentioned also tried to rip me off on two occasions, 2nd time we got into a bit of an argument, lucky my wife is cantonese and we sorted it out. When they see a foreigner, you're fair game to their staff I'm afraid.

Sim City is good, there's a couple of decent shops in there, but need to be careful. DC Fever are great for new gear (and Gitzo tripods).

StephenPatterson

And I know folks who have had problems with 9 Days, Fotopia, DigitalRev and more. Camera buyers in Hong Kong need to be educated about price, models, versions, and in general have as much information as possible before negotiating or buying. Indecision or weakness is like blood in the water to a shark.

d.clin.design

All Good Friends have a nice selection of 2nd hand Leica gears. It's right next to Dot-Well in TST up the stairs to the left.
I been in HK for two weeks and even though I'm wasn't really in the market to buy anything, it's always fun to see some interesting toys.
If you want to see some limited edition leicas, there is a camera store right next to the Leica Boutique in the 海港城: Harbour City mall in TST. Few days ago, they had the white M9-p, hermes M9-p etc.