The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best 50mm pairing with the 28cron asph ?

jubbaa

Hi folks ,

I am looking for opinion on the best 50mm lens that will match the 28mm Cron asph in terms of color and rendering .

I have a 50mm pre asph 1.4 summilux ( e46 model with extendable hood ) , but find the images between the two quite different , preferring the 28mm asph Cron. ( the Cron seems to produce rich , detailed , sharp pics while the pre asph lux is lower contrast and softer , particularly wide open )

I was just going to buy the 50mm Cron v5 but am wondering as its not an asph lens is there a better match ? ( I am willing to consider non leica lenses ) .

Finally, I would consider the 50lux asph but would prefer not to have to spend the $$ :) .

Thanks for your time

James

D&A

I'm sure there will be a lot of excellent opinions posted regarding this question, so permit me to start it off.

From personal experience, I have found the 28mm Cron asph and 50mm Lux asph quite close in rendition and they way they draw. If anything, the 28mm Cron asph is a bit more gentle in it's representation but on the whole, images from both appear to be quite simialr aside from differences in focal length.

Other with experiences greater than mine with a wider variety of other 50mm lenses might suggest a better match.

Dave (D&A)

Double Negative

Not Available
^ I'm with Dave. I use the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH and Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH together as my main two lenses (with a 21 and 90 on either end for four).

jubbaa

DN & Dave,
Thanks, I suspected as much, its just that my wallet and wife were hoping for another answer , lol.

James

Paratom

At the moment my favorite is a 50 silver Summicron. (I think it is the latest version)
I also own a Summilux asph and a Noctilux 0.95 (great lens but pretty big).
The images from the Summciron 50 on the MM look very subtile and nice.
I only bought the Summicron because it was in a set with a chrome M6 which I wanted and now it has become my most used 50 (at the moment at least).
My second fav. lens is the 28 Summicron asph, third 75/2.0 and number 4 is the 21/3.4
Out of maybe 15 M lenses I own (however plan to sell some) these 4 are all I really use at the moment.

seakayaker

I would also consider the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5, great color and the same size filter (46) as the 28 Cron.

jubbaa

I would also consider the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5, great color and the same size filter (46) as the 28 Cron.
Thanks Dan , but I would have thought the c-sonar would be more like my pre asph summilux as it markets itself as a classic lens . I am looking for something that's more modern .

James

algrove

I own just about every new Leica 50 there is and many Mandler 50's too (plus the Zeiss 50/1.5 which I just sold) and also own the 28/2.0. You cannot go wrong with the 50/2.0 Summicron and I am not talking the APO which I also own. The #11826 is a bargain for a Leica lens and just renders beautifully. PM me as I have other comments for you.

animefx

Your best bet is probably the 50 Summilux ASPH

Nothing will match the exact look of the 28 Cron, it's a nice balance between modern and classic

algrove

Perhaps it might be a good idea to see the year when the 28/2 was first introduced (or the year of production of YOUR 28/2) and then try to match a 50 which was introduced in that same year. IMHO this might create about the best lens "match" you are aiming to achieve.

StephenPatterson

Noctilux 0.95. Just get it over with...

The Nocti can be a "normal" 50 when stopped down, and give a great look, but no other lens can do what this lens does.

JPL

At the moment my favorite is a 50 silver Summicron. (I think it is the latest version)
I also own a Summilux asph and a Noctilux 0.95 (great lens but pretty big).
The images from the Summciron 50 on the MM look very subtile and nice.
I only bought the Summicron because it was in a set with a chrome M6 which I wanted and now it has become my most used 50 (at the moment at least).
My second fav. lens is the 28 Summicron asph, third 75/2.0 and number 4 is the 21/3.4
Out of maybe 15 M lenses I own (however plan to sell some) these 4 are all I really use at the moment.
More or less the same for me - on the MM I prefer the 28 2.0 with 50 2.0 current version. Asative I have often the Sonnar C 50 in the pocket. On the short side i like to add a Biogon 21 2.8.

All the best

JPH

MPK2010

I own the 50 Summilux ASPH, the current pre-APO 50 Summicron and the ZM 50 f2 Planar. There is little question that if I could only keep one it would be the Summicron, due to the rendering. The color generated by the Summilux is great though.

jubbaa

@jubbaa-
Any decisions on your research as yet?
Honestly - since making the decision to buy a Leica late last year I don't think I have ever been gripped by GAS as much as I have with anything else.

Infact I am sure that if I had spent as much time focusing on my job as I have spent on the Internet researching the nuances of different m mount lenses I am pretty sure I would have received a promotion by now !!

I posted this question on another forum and it seems the answer is plot between the asph lux and the 50 Cron v4/5 . I was origionally leaning towards the Cron as its cheaper but am now thinking that I should just bite the bullet and go with the Lux .

Can I ask do you think there is any real word difference between the lux and the Cron at f2 ? ( viewed on a 24 inch monitor or printed no bigger than A3 ) . If there isn't then it's just about do I want to pay the extra $ for the speed.

so does the lux render / draw differently than the Cron at the same apertures

James