The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shooting monochrom at base iso

gooomz

not sure if its from my film days, but is anyone here also stuck on trying to shoot at base iso?

even with the monochrom, i always strive to shoot at 320 to preserve max detail and limit noise even though high iso performance is great and the files can be pushed around a great deal.

is this a bad "good" habit?

jstaben

Hi!

I actually have enjoyed pushing the ISO limits...5K. 10K. It all has a different look to it. It's kind of like having several types of film available in one camera!

Keeping it at base ISO is like only loading your film camera with ADOX 50 or whatever. Try some high ISO you will like the look!

V

Vivek

not sure if its from my film days, but is anyone here also stuck on trying to shoot at base iso?

even with the monochrom, i always strive to shoot at 320 to preserve max detail and limit noise even though high iso performance is great and the files can be pushed around a great deal.

is this a bad "good" habit?
After <500 shots with the MM, here is my take-

Keep it at as low an ISO while dealing with high contrast light. Push it all the way in other circumstances (flat light with no distracting highlights). The High ISO "grain" from MM files are just amazing but it does need careful handling while exposing and developing- the latter I will have to experiment and practice with to get to a decent level.