The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrom: can't read or access sd card

xdayv

Happened the 2nd time around, but wasn't sure if it was the same card I used. But suddenly my MM refuses to read and display the image playback, cannot format, can't also click the shutter. Did already battery and card pull... still the same. I'm using a Sandisk 8gb Extreme 30mb/s SDHC.

Card can't also be read via the Sandisk ImageMate card reader over at my MBP. What I did is format the card on my Panasonic G3/GX1 and it works again. (And I don't swap around cards in between systems, I have assigned cards solely for the MM)

Temporary solution is to isolate the card first and observe if this happens again. And also did a Format / Overwrite to the card via the MM.

Anybody can chime in or help? TIA.

Last edited:

edwardkaraa

If the MM is anything like the M9, the best way that worked for me with Sandisk cards is to create a new folder in the PC, name it any crazy name like fhshdfgtd, then the camera will magically recognize the card. Format and you're done.

PS: I dumped all my Sandisk cards.

xdayv

Edward, thanks much for the response. I ordered 4 Lexar 16gb for the MM and relegating the Sandisks to Micro 4/3s and Nikon.

edwardkaraa

You're welcome Dave.

After I had my first Sandisk incident, I bought 4 Transcend 16gb cards. Two of them were not recognized by the M9 at first, as it seems not to like empty cards. After the above mentioned treatment both cards were recognized and did not have any card problem ever since, over 6 months already.

250swb

Always format the card in the camera that it's going to be used in before anything else. Always format the card to delete images, never just press 'delete'. Thats all I can suggest as my SanDisk Extreme cards have worked faultlessly when others have been going tits up.

Steve

xdayv

Always format the card in the camera that it's going to be used in before anything else. Always format the card to delete images, never just press 'delete'. Thats all I can suggest as my SanDisk Extreme cards have worked faultlessly when others have been going tits up.

Steve
Steve, thanks. Yes that's in fact my practice on all my other cameras (Nikon DSLR and Panasonic Micro 4/3). It's more likely an incompatibility issue that weighs more on Leica to resolve it via a firmware update perhaps.

bradhusick

I have never had a SanDisk card fail in any camera including Leica M8, M8.2, M9, M9-P and MM. I never delete images in the camera and always format only on the camera.

xdayv

I have never had a SanDisk card fail in any camera including Leica M8, M8.2, M9, M9-P and MM. I never delete images in the camera and always format only on the camera.
Thanks for the heads up, i do however delete a few images in the camera, but always do format the card to delete all and before using again.

Shashin

Is this a humid time of year for you? Stick your camera in a zip-lock plastic bag in desiccant for 24 hours without a lens and the card doors open.

ced

When you get that kind of problem format in any other camera and always reformat in camera to delete the images if it is anything like the M9.
I think this is an issue that L AG has not quite got to grips with.

V

Vivek

I was quite careful about this from the beginning. I chose the slowest card I had- an SanDisk Extreme II 8Gb. This worked without any worries.

To upgrade to a higher capacity card, despite the manual saying SanDisk Extreme III, I went for Samsung SDHC UHS-I "Plus" 32Gb cards.* These are marginally faster than the Extreme II in writing and much faster in reading. They appear to be an ideal match for the MM. Aside from being more robust than the SanDisk cards, they are also cheaper in the EU.

*A few in this forum had already mentioned the Samsung cards for Leica M digital, I think Godfrey and someone else.

xdayv

Just an update: Used Lexar cards with no problems so far. Too early to say because I used Sandisk in the past few months and just encountered them twice. Thanks All!

erudolph

Hey Dave, fwiw, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. With the exact same card: a Sandisk 8gb Extreme 30mb/s SDHC. I'm partial to that card because when I got an M9 in 2010 I got one of those and have used it for three years without a problem.

So now I have bought two different types of cards for the MM, the Sandisk and a Panasonic 8 gb card. I started using the Panasonic this morning after the Sandisk failure.

xdayv

Hey Dave, fwiw, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. With the exact same card: a Sandisk 8gb Extreme 30mb/s SDHC. I'm partial to that card because when I got an M9 in 2010 I got one of those and have used it for three years without a problem.

So now I have bought two different types of cards for the MM, the Sandisk and a Panasonic 8 gb card. I started using the Panasonic this morning after the Sandisk failure.
Ed, I hope nothing important was lost inside the card... I used Sandisks ever since I got the MM, and 2 incidents were enough to make me move to another brand, just to be safe.