The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 issue??

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Yesterday when I was out shooting my M8 went dead and I noticed three dashes where the shutter speed indicator should be, I took out my battery and replaced it and it worked fine. One shot however had a pixelated line through it. That is one specific instance I have noticed lately its acting kind of flaky, like not turning on or powering down when the battery shows life left anyone had similar problems?....I wouldn't trade this camera for the world but I hope it doesn't go the way of the D2.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I would clean the battery contacts, and the SD card ones as well if I were you.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar thing happen only one time. It was after a stream of consecutive shots and appaently the battery failed during some of the final writes to the card causing a weird freeze. Pulling the dead battery and loading a fresh one fixed the issue until I hit review, then saw a jumbled image and the camera locked up. Pulled that battery, turned the camera on and pressed the shutter to drain all residual power, reinserted the battery and all was fine. On review this time around, I had one "corrupted file" in the review. Deleted it and went on shooting.

D

dlw

I had a similar thing happen only one time. It was after a stream of consecutive shots and appaently the battery failed during some of the final writes to the card causing a weird freeze. Pulling the dead battery and loading a fresh one fixed the issue until I hit review, then saw a jumbled image and the camera locked up. Pulled that battery, turned the camera on and pressed the shutter to drain all residual power, reinserted the battery and all was fine. On review this time around, I had one "corrupted file" in the review. Deleted it and went on shooting.
Could you elaborate on the press to deplete all power?

Me and another M8 owner recently discovered an odd and not easily reproducible way to trigger the red light by hitting the shutter button while the camera is off and eventually actually cause the camera to crash (all while the power switch is off) which would require removing the battery and putting it back in.

I'm wondering if there's a known stored current that creating the circuit of a shutter button press will draw on even while the power switch is off.

[for obvious reasons I'm hesitant to do too much investigation into this, my camera works and I have no interest in it not working - and so, caveat lector and all that.]

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Could you elaborate on the press to deplete all power?
It's a standard routine I go through with ANY electronic device that gives me random issues. For the M8, I removed the battery, I put the baseplate back on, I turned the camera "on", and then I pressed the shutter button, then I also press the menu button in an effort to "drain" residual power from any onboard capacitors. Once done, I reinstall the battery and start up and all is fine. A similar process has fixed weird issues I've had with almost every digital camera I've owned, including Canon bodies.

Cheers,