The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommended 28mm Lens for Landscape?

algrove

Settle down agrove - try not to lose sleep over this. I was clear on what I needed. WRT to stitching, I was talking about perspective and not distortion. I hope I don't have to explain this concept to you.... I am buying a 25 or 28 - just looking for advice on good performing lenses.

Thanks ced and Cal for your advice - much appreciated.
OK, is all I was pointing out that in the PhotoMerge Dialog box in CS6 the Second choice under Layout is Perspective. But I guess you knew this.

Did not realize you do not yet have a FF M9. Then the comment to wait until you have experience with that camera is perhaps best served.

cjl

I personally prefer the 24mm Elmar f3.8 for landscapes as that strikes me as the widest you can go for most big scenics w/o noticeable distortion (but that's just my sense of it, of course). The Elmar's resolution is great all the way to the corners. 24mm Framing on the M9 is admittedly a chore but you can always use 'deadview' to recompose after viewing the previous shot on the LCD. While I don't use it nearly as much, the 28mm Elmarit is also excellent in its focal range and a bit more contrasty. Both block about the same small portion of the viewfinder with or without lens hoods, but the 28's hood is easily unsnapped for a virtually unobstructed view whereas the 24's hood is screw-on and so less convenient. Both are light weight, which may be an important consideration for you if you need to hike to landscapes, and neither are expensive (at least by Leica standards;)). Chris

View attachment 71339

M9 Leica 24mm Elmar f3.8

ced

Some wide angles and I am surprised some recommend even wider than 28 is that mostly you will have tons of foreground and sky not always interesting to the composition and other times for big vistas as already posted here there is not enough coverage.
So best advice is to try before you decide for your kind of interest. Good Luck!

jonoslack

Hi There
Well - I have the 28 summicron, and it's certainly lovely, but the 28 elmarit Asph is also lovely - very sharp for landscapes, and nice and small into the bargain. That would be my choice.

The cv 28 f2 ultron is cheap and supposed to be good (I wasn't fond of the previous f1.9 version, which was rather big). The Zeiss 28 is also lovely - but getting on for the price of the Leica elmarit. . . .

turtle

I'm not sure I'd agree that 28 is lukewarm for landscape photography. It is astonishingly popular with other formats (equivalents in 6x7, 5x4 etc) and associated with countless memorable images.

The 28 biogon is not the best for landscapes due to field curvature, as already mentioned, so the ZM 25 would be better.

The 24 3.8 Elmar is a stunner, but quite a lot more expensive even used, compared to Zeiss.

On digital bodies, few samples of the CV 25P compare well to Zeiss/Leica in the corners. Some decentering is par for the course.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'd get the Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM lens, without doubt. Best bang for the buck. You can use the entire view in the finder (outside of framelines) or get an accessory finder (I prefer the former). Seriously, it's a great lens.

You don't need a fast lens for "landscape" so either of Leica's offerings (2.8 or 2.0) are great lenses. Personally though, I'm a *huge* fan of the Summicron (2.0). Bonus is the framelines being in-camera. The Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM is also very nice.

iiiNelson

If speed and money aren't a huge concern or you don't want to deal with manual coding I'd go 24 Elmar. If you want the best bang for the buck and a great all around lens I'd go 25 Biogon.

Auni

I'm with several other posters, the 28 Summicron is as good as it gets. It just has a look and color that is unique. It is one of those lenses that just makes great images. It works well on all three digital M cameras.

baudolino

Another idea: 28 Elmarit pre-Asph. Just bought one on the famous auction site, for Eur 900. Still evaluating but initial impressions very good - sharp with lovely color.

wosim

I have the Tri-Elmar (MATE), which is excellent and one of the most versatile lenses for M. Aperture of 4.0 doesn't matter for landscape in my opinion. I also have the Voigtländer Ultron 1.9 28mm, which is very good (if you get a good copy), a bit soft wide open and not as sharp in the edges as the Tri-Elmar.

Maybe my Collection of Links to lens reviews contains some hints for your decision making.

tele_player

I have both the Leica 2.8/28 ASPH, and the previous version 4. Both perform beautifully on my M9, but the ASPH has the size advantage. One of these days, I'll sell my V4.

-robert

P

photobugjourney

Anything wrong with 28 cron for landscape photography? I don't see it mentioned much here...

Gary Clennan

Thanks again. I am going to try to live without a 28mm for a while and see how it works out. Appreciate the feedback.