The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monochrome tips

jlm

Workshop Member
been quite happy with mine, thought a dedicated thread might be useful.

here are a few, not necessarily monochrome limited:

1. I'm using the Luigi half case with grip; also the luigi baseplate. this combo has the distinct advantage of card and battery access with out removing the base or the case. helps considerably holding the camera and helps keep my finger off the rangefinder window
2. also thumbs up grip, suitable mod in the Luigi case for it
3. after taking many shots of the ground and inside of my bag, i removed the soft button, as it was getting bumped when i didn't or forgot to turn off the camera

V

Vivek

For those who are in the Netherlands, there are a few units available now at the usual suspects. :)

ashwinrao1

been quite happy with mine, thought a dedicated thread might be useful.

here are a few, not necessarily monochrome limited:

1. I'm using the Luigi half case with grip; also the luigi baseplate. this combo has the distinct advantage of card and battery access with out removing the base or the case. helps considerably holding the camera and helps keep my finger off the rangefinder window
2. also thumbs up grip, suitable mod in the Luigi case for it
3. after taking many shots of the ground and inside of my bag, i removed the soft button, as it was getting bumped when i didn't or forgot to turn off the camera
I have exactly the same set up, and love it. The Luigi case with cut outs for the M mate baseplate rocks. I use the Thumbs Up CSEP-1S grip along with a shutter release from Match Technical. All in all, a really robust package...

erudolph

What have you guys done about the "door?" I had a Luigi case on a Hexar RF and liked it a lot, but didn't like the idea of a leather flap hanging down on a digital camera.

V

Vivek

Ed, The Luigi bottom changes the M into a Sony NEX style cam with individual access to the battery and the SD card- not to be confused with the leather cases that name is associated with. Check ebay.

As for me, absolutely none of these doodahs. :)

fotografz

Tips:

The only things I've added to the MM is a RRS base plate from my previous M9 that has an ARCA type QR groove built-in (for occasional monopod work) ... and it has an easier/faster base release mechanism. I've also replaced the strap. The leather strap it came with started splitting at the seams on day one of use.

Will now only add a plain black Thumbs Up now, because it does help with the 50/0.95. Anyone have one for sale?

I do not like cases, the camera body with regular everyday lenses is already too big compared to a M6/MP. If I take just the camera and one lens I use an old R camera case with a dual zippered top and its own straps that can also be secured around your waist if desired.

Another thing I've taken to using is large Micro-fiber cloths in the camera bag to avoid wear-and-tear on the finish from constant in-out use.

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tips:

The only things I've added to the MM is a RRS base plate from my previous M9

Another thing I've taken to using is large Micro-fiber cloths in the camera bag to avoid wear-and-tear on the finish from constant in-out use.

-Marc
The Leica Neoprene case for the M is ideal to cover when not using a half-case but carrying in a bag and you want to protect from in-out use...it will work with lenses up to a 50 Nocti....

Bob

charlesphoto

Well, beyond the cosmetic (I run my M's "bare"), I find the MM files are extremely robust on the bottom end. They need and can tolerate a lot of black point decreasing in LR. I find a good formula is to underexpose a bit, and then increase the shadow and decrease the black point by the same amount (i.e. shadow +50, black -50). Gives a nice boost to the shadows without even more flattening of an already very flat file out of camera. Also a medium to strong tone curve is usually needed. Amazing camera that I'm just now beginning to explore.

V

Vivek

The Leica Neoprene case for the M is ideal to cover when not using a half-case but carrying in a bag and you want to protect from in-out use...it will work with lenses up to a 50 Nocti....

Bob
I have an unused Vaude skull cap for this purpose. Just perfect! :)

V

Vivek

The reliable maximum flash sync speed (with a SF-24D) appears to be 1/160s and not 1/180s. The top 5% of the frame blacks out at 1/180s. Not entirely unuseful though, if a shot is framed accordingly.

GMB

Another question: I have set the camera to auto review 3s, with histogram on and highlight clipping at 100%. I deliberately overexposed some shots. The automatic review shows the histogram but does not indicate the highlight clipping (i.e., does not show in red the overexposed areas of the shot). If I hit play, and then hit the info button a couple of times, it shows the overexposed areas in red.

Is that normal? I don't think so (the auto review on my M9 and S2 shows the highlight clipping). Am I missing something, or is there a bug in the camera?

Thanks.

GMB

Thanks. I tried all combinations, even did a reset. Just does not show in the automatic review--but it does show when I do play and hit the info button twice.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I have exactly the same set up, and love it. The Luigi case with cut outs for the M mate baseplate rocks. I use the Thumbs Up CSEP-1S grip along with a shutter release from Match Technical. All in all, a really robust package...
Weird. This is my setup exactly. I also have the RRS bottom plate/L bracket for use on a tripod.

jlm

Workshop Member
in processing, i find a film-like curve, depressed a bit for the shadows, bumped up a small amount for the highs works quite well.

other than adding a bit of clarity and maybe an exposure tweak for the mid tones and the usual highlight saving and good to go