The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9-P Shutter Count

Mike Woods

Ok, this one has me stumped, although admittedly that's not difficult :banghead:

I'm selling my M9-P through a dealer in anticipation of the M. I ran my last image through M9Info which gave me a shutter count of 6412. The dealer uses 'a special programme we have for just reading Leica files' and they state that 'the shutter count for Jpegs and DNG files together is 6804....'

Sometimes, I shoot both DNG/Jpeg in order to get a B&W preview, which therefore accounts for the shutter count variation, but I don't understand therefore how I could ever know the real shutter count as a result?

When I shoot similarly with my Oly E-M5, I get a B&W preview but only a single file when I download into LR. I wish the Leica would do the same :confused:

Mike

250swb

The shutter count is not the file number, so don't confuse the two. The shutter count can be found as a Hexadecimal number in the camera EXIF file under 'Unique Image ID' when viewed in Adobe Bridge for example. Search for a hexadecimal converter on Google and put in the sequence of letters and numbers, you don't need all the precceding 0's. This will give you the actual shutter count.

Steve

Mike Woods

The shutter count is not the file number, so don't confuse the two. The shutter count can be found as a Hexadecimal number in the camera EXIF file under 'Unique Image ID' when viewed in Adobe Bridge for example. Search for a hexadecimal converter on Google and put in the sequence of letters and numbers, you don't need all the precceding 0's. This will give you the actual shutter count.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Converting the Unique Image ID gets me to 6412, the same as M9Info. In other words, the JPG element of shooting DNG + JPG is being ignored it seems to me.

Mike

250swb

How can the overall shutter count be affected by capturing DNG and JPEG at the same time? Its not like the shutter makes two exposures is it, its the software making two images! I think your dealer doesn't know his rear end from his elbow.

Steve

seakayaker

Yes, exactly what i was using. Apparently though, it doesnt record the JPG element of a DNG+JPG capture.

Dan - Have asked the dealer what programme they are using.

Mike
Mike, is this software the dealer supplied by Leica or software available to the general public?

I do not shoot DNG+JPG but may be handy to have.

I am surprised of one shot creating multiple shutter counts, I thought one shot taken and the internal camera software would create one file.

Good luck with the trade-in.