The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elmarit-R f2.8 vs. PS-Super-Angulon-R

Nitnaros

I am interested in a 28mm for my R9/DMR;

Wouldn't the Super-Angulon be the better choice given that I could easily stitch with it?

Or what speaks for the Elmarit-R ?
Is it optically much better? (I would not think so...).

Thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Peter

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Wouldn't the Super-Angulon be the better choice given that I could easily stitch with it?

Peter
Peter E Putts used to have an excellent evaluation of these two lenses. At one time it was available from the Leica website itself. He also has the leica lens compendium available for download from his blog .

I tried the lens in germany for a day and while I was happy with the results it wasn t for me. First its a manual lens ...so you may need to open up to focus and then stop down to the aperture you plan to use. Image quality is excellent around f8 but not comparable to the Elmarit wide open. So its basically a tripod mounted solution ..which seems fine for landscapes and architectural work (which benefit from the PC ).

Roger

robsteve

Subscriber

Peter
Peter:

The current Elmarit-R outperforms the 28mm SA by a wide margin. Unless you need perspective correction, you would get better results panning the 28mm Elmarit-R with a nodal point rig than stitching and shifting the 28mm SA PC.

Even with the need for perspective correction, I would guess the 28mm Elmarit-R panned on a nodal head and then perspective corrected in software would still outperform the 28mm SA PC shifted.

The other problem with shifting the 28mm SA PC is you will get a red/cyan cast across your image if using a camera with a CCD sensor, such as the DMR.

Robert

Nitnaros

Thank you for yor comments, Roger & Robert.

I decided for the Elmarit, latest version.
Looking very good on my R9DMR, can't wait to take it out for a spin.

Peter