The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

oops

yes I got an email today , DHL will fetch my M

Sehr geehrter Leica M-Kunde,

uns ist bekannt, dass einige der vor dem 5. April 2013 ausgelieferten Kameras der Serie Leica M (Typ 240) lockere Tragriemenösen aufweisen. Wir haben festgestellt, dass das durch einen Montagefehler in der Fertigungslinie für die Leica M (Typ 240) verursacht wurde. Potenziell betroffen sind nur Kameras der Serie Leica M (Typ 240), die vor dem 5. April 2013 ausgeliefert wurden. Sobald wir herausgefunden hatten, was passiert war, haben wir den Produktionsfehler umgehend behoben. Seien Sie versichert, dass dieses Problem vollständig gelöst und behoben wurde. Es tut uns sehr leid, dass dieser Fehler aufgetreten ist.

Nach internem Abgleich Ihrer Seriennummer müssen wir Ihnen leider mitteilen, dass Ihre Kamera ****** betroffen ist.
Wir lassen Ihre Kamera (WICHTIG: kein Akku oder anderes Zubehör) mit DHL* bei Ihnen abholen. Sie bekommen ein bereits vorgefertigtes Paket, welches wir Ihnen am Tag der Abholung durch DHL kostenfrei zur Verfügung stellen. Bitte setzen Sie sich bezüglich einer Terminabsprache mit uns in Verbindung, um lange Wartezeiten zu verhindern. Legen Sie bitte den als PDF beigefügten Begleitschein ausgefüllt Ihrer Kamera bei.

Bitte entschuldigen Sie die Unannehmlichkeiten.

*Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Leica Camera AG für die Abwicklung des Rückholauftrages Ihre persönlichen Daten speichern und verarbeiten sowie für diesen Geschäftsvorfall an unseren Logistikpartner DHL weitergeben wird.
Sollten Sie mit einer Datenweitergabe an unseren Logistikpartner nicht einverstanden sein, schicken Sie Ihre Kamera bitte mit dem Begleitschein an folgende Adresse: Leica Customer Care, Gewerbepark 8, D-35606 Solms. Markieren Sie das Paket von außen gut sichtbar mit einem „C“.

ashwinrao1

Leica Lug Locktite issue...reminds me of SLR Magic's Hyperprime controversy. Some experienced it, some (me) didn't...and everyone said Leica would never have such a foible...:shocked::rolleyes:

jonoslack

Leica Lug Locktite issue...reminds me of SLR Magic's Hyperprime controversy. Some experienced it, some (me) didn't...and everyone said Leica would never have such a foible...:shocked::rolleyes:
Hi Ashwin, well, after only 3 or 4 cameras it seems like a complete recall is Doing the Right Thing. It would have been very easy just to quietly repair cameras as it came up.

All the best

ashwinrao1

Totally, I am with you, Jono. I think it's awesome that Leica is facing the issue and offering a meaningful solution. I was more commenting on the whole "locktite" commentary that colored the SLR Magic lens debate...the fact is that many products use it, and I guess it doesn't always work out as planned.

On a separate note, I get to finally test the M for the first time! A friend who has it is meeting with me, and I'll get to shoot for a while. Super excited to create my own files and FINALLY form my own actual, real life, opinion/first take...

Many pictures to come, hopefully tonight...and I'll find out whether I'll be $7K poorer in the near future.

jonoslack

Totally, I am with you, Jono. I think it's awesome that Leica is facing the issue and offering a meaningful solution. I was more commenting on the whole "locktite" commentary that colored the SLR Magic lens debate...the fact is that many products use it, and I guess it doesn't always work out as planned.

On a separate note, I get to finally test the M for the first time! A friend who has it is meeting with me, and I'll get to shoot for a while. Super excited to create my own files and FINALLY form my own actual, real life, opinion/first take...

Many pictures to come, hopefully tonight...and I'll find out whether I'll be $7K poorer in the near future.
HI There Ashwin
I hope you have a great time with it. I think that if you want a colour M camera then it's irresistible.

thrice

I got to see them fixing all the affected cameras today, it was only a small shipment from Portugal which had that step missed, all future shipments cameras will have perfectly secure lugs.

I saw many interesting things today :) I'm sitting about 4m from Stefan Daniel and Jesko.

V

Vivek

I got to see them fixing all the affected cameras today, it was only a small shipment from Portugal which had that step missed, all future shipments cameras will have perfectly secure lugs.

I saw many interesting things today :) I'm sitting about 4m from Stefan Daniel and Jesko.
Would they fix the shutter release threads?

wattsy

I was more commenting on the whole "locktite" commentary that colored the SLR Magic lens debate...the fact is that many products use it, and I guess it doesn't always work out as planned.
Wasn't the criticism of SLR Magic that they were using Locktite as a primary method of holding various parts of the lens together (ie. instead of screws, etc.) rather than in the secondary role of stopping a thread coming loose?

V

Vivek

Wasn't the criticism of SLR Magic that they were using Locktite as a primary method of holding various parts of the lens together (ie. instead of screws, etc.) rather than in the secondary role of stopping a thread coming loose?

Graham has the answer:

http://www.getdpi.com/gallery/files/1/1/7/photo_655741.jpg

I do not think anyone wants to rehash the whole thing all over again.

V

Vivek

I hope they would at least state the dimensions of the new pitch and depth (if not why they did such a thing) and issue a warning about using the old ones.

Cosmetic damage to an M camera is much worse than structural/functional ones!!

thrice

If you say so, I tried pretty hard to screw an incompatible soft release into the typ240 and neither were marked by my efforts.

V

Vivek

That is not very helpful, Daniel. Would they release the specs for the new shutter release. I am interested in using a release cable and the paint on the MM does not need a metal rubbing on it to take it off. It would be nice if they or someone else offer an "armourall" to protect the beautiful finish ( or what is left of it).

thrice

Maybe contact Tom Abrahamson, he has 'reverse engineered' the new thread. That, or you could just wait since I'm sure this info will eventually be forthcoming.

V

Vivek

There are many capable folks in PRC who would make excellent cable releases for very affordable prices. The specs are needed for that. They will feed the data down to a fraction of a micron in to made in Germany CNC machines and churn them out. ;)

V

Vivek

Maybe PRC should contact Leica then.
Hey there, You are the one flashing news that you are hobnobbing with the Leica top brass who apparently screwed up the shutter release for some secret reasons. :p Users would like to know why they did that and what the dimensions of the messed up screw are. ;)